• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Hatchet Man said:
Hmmm, I fail to see where a clerk or even a Chief Clerk of a unit can just hand over personal information just because an employer is asking for it.

It doesn't, but I never said that in the first place.  I said the Chief Clerk may be able to guide him in the process.  Prospective employers do background checks all the time, including verification of employment.  I'm reasonably confident that there is a way to do it that does not violate the Privacy Act.

Pusser said:
It doesn't, but I never said that in the first place.  I said the Chief Clerk may be able to guide him in the process.  Prospective employers do background checks all the time, including verification of employment.  I'm reasonably confident that there is a way to do it that does not violate the Privacy Act.

If that new employer has a signed consent form the person in question to obtain information about them. No consent, legally no information can be provided.

Interstate66 said:
I have a few questions. I'm in the hiring process of a few potential employees. I have hired a few people, and hired one of them based heavily on the military experience they claim to have. This person has been has been working for me on a probationary condition for about a month now. I have noticed a few things that seem suspicious when he talks to others about his past military experiences, where he's been and a few other things. Maybe someone here could help me figure out if he is a fake and has fooled me. Here are my questions:

1) If he was 16 when he joined in 1995, where would he have done his basic training?
2) If he served a total of six years, what is the highest rank he could've achieved while only going up through the ranks (not going to officer training school)?
3) If he joined the military and did not have a criminal record at the time, and got into trouble with the law during his time in the army (not military charges or misconduct), could he have hidden this from the military? If not, what would the procedure be? Could he have stayed in the army? Would he be discharged? Honourable discharge? Dishonourable discharge? Discharge of some other kind?
4) Is it possible to jump from the reserves to regular force?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do hope that he is who he says he is, as he's a pretty decent employee. But I will not stand for keeping someone employed based on lies, especially lies about serving in the military

1) Any area training center. Wainwright, Meaford, Gagetown. Its possible for it to have been run elsewhere.

2) I've seen a WO in six years with the reserves, exceptional case.

A 2Lt is certainly possible, if he had a degree, without going on any special courses. I've had 2Lt's in the reserve who haven't done any sort of basic training. A reserve member who trains as an officer while still in post-secondary can also earn a commission, but would go on officer courses. You do not need to have a degree to receive a commission.

3) Yes, particularly if he didn't apply for an updated security clearance.

4) Yes, and it is also possible to be on taskings with a regforce unit without transferring between the two.

I'm not seeing anything here that undermines his story.

I'm back at school and have access to my materials.

Haggis Hatchet Man is referring to PIPEDA,
Which has been wielded as a blunt sword by many companies to slash access to information requests. This law allows for current employers to confirm; “name, title, business address and telephone number. Any information beyond name, title business address and telephone number is regarded as personal and private.” **

** Dessler, G., Cole, N. D., & Chhinzer, N. (2014). Human resources management in Canada (12th ed.). Pearson. **

Yes, IAW PIPEDA  an employer can;  confirm name, job title, business address and phone number. Timeframe is not included in that legal permission. If information is released, employee must be informed.

``edit: my fault: Responding to the wrong person.

kratz said:
I'm back at school and have access to my materials.

Haggis Hatchet Man is referring to PIPEDA,
Which has been wielded as a blunt sword by many companies to slash access to information requests. This law allows for current employers to confirm; “name, title, business address and telephone number. Any information beyond name, title business address and telephone number is regarded as personal and private.” **

** Dessler, G., Cole, N. D., & Chhinzer, N. (2014). Human resources management in Canada (12th ed.). Pearson. **

Yes, IAW PIPEDA  an employer can;  confirm name, job title, business address and phone number. Timeframe is not included in that legal permission. If information is released, employee must be informed.

``edit: my fault: Responding to the wrong person.

No I was referring to the Privacy Act (In fact I quoted from it) the Privacy Act deals with government institutions (which the CAF is and therefore is the applicable legislation), PIPEDA deals with private companies.

Don't confuse the two they are two SEPARATE acts

https://www.priv.gc.ca/leg_c/leg_c_p_e.asp
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) sets out ground rules for how private sector organizations may collect, use or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities. PIPEDA also applies to federal works, undertakings and businesses in respect of employee personal information

https://www.priv.gc.ca/leg_c/leg_c_a_e.asp
The Privacy Act took effect on July 1, 1983. This Act imposes obligations on some 250 federal government departments and agencies to respect privacy rights by limiting the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. The Privacy Act also gives individuals the right to access and request correction of personal information about themselves held by these federal government organizations.

Hatchet Man said:
No I was referring to the Privacy Act (In fact I quoted from it) the Privacy Act deals with government institutions (which the CAF is and therefore is the applicable legislation), PIPEDA deals with private companies.

Don't confuse the two they are two SEPARATE acts

Another reason why some people get confused about the application of the Privacy Act is the belief that it applies only to personal information that government has on the general public - eg details government gets when you apply for services, cross the border, etc - but not federal employees and their work. In fact, it does apply to federal employees as well.

The Privacy Act relates to an individual’s right to access and correct personal information the Government of Canada holds about them or the Government’s collection, use and disclosure of their personal information in the course of providing services (e.g., old age pensions or employment insurance).

The Privacy Act only applies to federal government institutions listed in the Privacy Act Schedule of Institutions. It applies to all of the personal information that the federal government collects, uses and discloses—be it about individuals or federal employees.

It should be noted that the Privacy Act does not apply to political parties and political representatives.
Source: https://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_15_e.asp

No name yet......

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/5543380-guelph-man-dressed-up-and-impersonated-a-military-officer-police-say/

Guelph man dressed up and impersonated a military officer, police say
Guelph Mercury
By Mercury staff

GUELPH— A local man is facing charges after police say he dressed up and presented himself in a Canadian Forces Military Police uniform.

On Monday, Guelph Police were called to a construction site in the south end, where a man known to construction employees reportedly dressed up as an officer in the Canadian Forces.
Guelph Police said the man is not a member of the Canadian Forces.
After a short investigation, officers found the military uniform equipment and arrested the suspect.

A 26-year-old man from Guelph has been charged with two counts of personate a peace officer, two counts of unlawful use of military uniform, one count of the use of an imitation firearm in the commission of an offence and one count of criminal harassment.

editor@guelphmercury.com

Some random website I discovered on the internet.  I cannot attest to its veracity but delete it at the first possible moment if it doesn't ring true.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=60622

Rocky Mountains said:
Some random website I discovered on the internet.  I cannot attest to its veracity but delete it at the first possible moment if it doesn't ring true.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=60622

Compeltely true. Wayne posted a long and whiny 'apology' on his facebook page that has quickly made the rounds. It's a shame that after 41 years of honourable service he had to go and wear medals he wasn't entitled to. He's an odd duck.

Which is worse. The person who served for real and pulls this or the guy who never served. I'd say the former.

Absolutely, they're the ones that should know better.

Well that link I have some issues with. It says Wayne was never the founder of Wounded Warriors. That is false he is the founder along with my father. As noted above Wayne is an odd duck and he came out with the apology himself. If he hadn't written it doubt it would be where it is today. People have there opinions about him and that's fine but I know for a fact that he has gone above and beyond for many soldiers and families more so than most anyone else can say.

And for the record Dan McTeague is not my father he is my cousin.

I believe what you say. However it only takes one misdeed to undo all that tremendous work. He knew better. He sounds like he'll take his medicine, but all his future actions will be scrutinized.

Sheep Dog AT said:
I believe what you say. However it only takes one misdeed to undo all that tremendous work. He knew better. He sounds like he'll take his medicine, but all his future actions will be scrutinized.

Yes, you are correct. With today's social media things tend to spread like wild fire and he will have to take his medicine. I attempted to correct some mis information on that site however it didn't go over well of no surprise.I have to say it amazes me the things people will say about someone online but not to there face. It is interesting that someone from Wounded Warriors called them to say Wayne was never a founder and rather sad that someone is going that far.

I know for a fact that Wayne was instrumental with WW. Last year I sat at a table at a WW event and listened to the current
bureaucrats belittle, defame and cast him in the worst light possible as their reasoning for taking the organization away from him. He worked hard for the organization.

Despite his transgressions, I'll still buy Wayne a beer.

The last guy that was perfect got nailed to a cross.

So,

I started working in a fibreglass plant, and this supervisor has stories, I'm digging into his past and have turned up nothing, however he has said

- he is a sniper, he left in December 2014 and returned in January 2015. Said he was on a mission in Pakistan to rescue females who were kidnapped. Told approximately 50 people this

- next he stated he fought in Bosnia, he was on a routine patrol and said he stumbled upon a baby girl lying with its dead parents, he claims to have smuggled the baby back to Canada and raised it as his own, the child then grew up playing violin on the song " what kind of man" by Florence and the machine.

He is extremely volatile, gets angry easily and I have witnessed him become physical with employees, so everyone who works under him is working in fear, he found out that people were afraid of him and he brought everyone to a training room to watch videos, he stood at the front and said "I hear people are afraid of me" and then proceeded to show videos of him which were of "him" in combat in Afghanistan

He has claimed to have killed 33 enemies in one day as a sniper, giving him the title "Titan 33"

The thing is, I know he's stories are bull, however, I didn't call him on it sooner because I was afraid to loose my job, but now that I'm not working under him, I feel I should speak up, if he is in fact military of some sort everything he has said is a huge conduct problem. So I'm trying to find out how I can clear the air and call him out on it, but I don't actually know if he is in the army or not.
If anyone knows anything I can do, please message me.

Thanks.

No worker has to work under those conditions.

If you're in Ontario, call the OHS Help Centre at 1 877-202-0008, and lay an anonymous complaint.

Edit - I see you're in BC call Worksafe BC. Try this: 604 276-3053 in the Lower Mainland or
toll-free in B.C. at 1 800 335-9330

He has 33 kills in one day hey. It's funny I heard people that lie like this often retell stories they read. The reason why 33 stood out for me because in 2009 in Helmand an US army Ranger Nick Irving had 33 kills in just over 4 months. They nick named him the reaper. They made a big deal out of Nick having that many confirmed kills in one tour I am sure we would of heard about this sniper. I wonder if he is stealing his story.

Back