• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Whatever the case I always look forward to Remembrance Day to see the Waltery in full effects. There's usually one or two good instances.

X_para76 said:
Whatever the case I always look forward to Remembrance Day to see the Waltery in full effects. There's usually one or two good instances.

Oh dear God...!

It doesn't seem to be as prominent here as we have laws that prevent it but in the U.K they don't and there are always some ridiculous instances of Waltery. There's a website called "the Walter Mitty hunters club" and there are some real crazy Walts out there. 

X_para76 said:
It doesn't seem to be as prominent here as we have laws that prevent it but in the U.K they don't and there are always some ridiculous instances of Waltery.

I doubt that the people that impersonate soldier are even aware that Canada has laws that make it illegal and if they were aware I doubt they would care. After all when was the last time you heard of someone being charged under those laws? 

dangerboy said:
I doubt that the people that impersonate soldier are even aware that Canada has laws that make it illegal and if they were aware I doubt they would care. After all when was the last time you heard of someone being charged under those laws? 

That's a fair comment but when there's absolutely no potential for legal ramifications then the Waltery is completely out of control. You get guys claiming that they're ex SAS, ex PF, and Falklands vets and all kinds of other B.S!

dangerboy said:

If you go back a few pages in this thread you will see it has occurred more than once.

X_para76 said:

To tell the truth I've never really paid attention to the number/types of medals people are wearing during Remembrance Day parades. May be next Monday I'll be paying more attention.

The season is upon us, saw my first walt in awhile striding up Burrard St wearing something like a light green Mess jacket, with insigna on it and beret with a capbadge. Was to far to see the badges and I seem to recall Sergent stripes on the arms.

Bzzliteyr said:
Looking for Walts you say?  Keep an eye on this:

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2013/10/rememberance-day-show-us-your-medals.html

I suspect we'll see/hear some interesting things.

Been quite honest so far.  The only problem seems to be the awards lawyers making comments about which they know nothing in the comments section.

See attached link
British Tory Politician who brags about his service as an Army Colonel and MI5 operative. Even wears a uniform to special events.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tory-politician-who-bragged-being-2880689
Tory politician who bragged about being army colonel and a member of MI5 is exposed as a fantasist who lives with his aunt

4 Dec 2013 00:01
ROBERT Kerr-Ardis also claimed to be an Earl and Baron but his web of lies was uncovered after colleagues become suspicious at a posh party dinner last month.

The serial fantasist was an election candidate last yearThe serial fantasist was an election candidate last year
David Johnstone Photography
A TORY politician who boasted of being an army colonel, an earl, a viscount, a baron and a member of MI5 has been exposed as a fantasist who lives with his aunt in a high-rise council flat.

Robert Kerr-Ardis was deputy chairman of Falkirk Conservative and Unionist Association and an election candidate until colleagues rumbled his web of deceit.

Suspicions were raised about the 28-year-old – also known as the Rt Hon Robert Edward Kerr-Ardis, the Earl Ardis, Viscount Wexford and Baron Elmbridge – at a posh Tory dinner in Edinburgh last month.

Ardis turned up in ill-fitting military mess dress with campaign medals, posing as an Irish Guards colonel.

It’s understood that when quizzed by guests, including former leader of the Lords Lord Strathclyde, he moved on quickly or changed the subject.

Ardis’s Facebook profile picture shows him at a war memorial in an Irish Guards tie, beret and blazer.

But when fellow Tories asked why his Army career was not recorded on Google, he said he was under special protection from his time in Ireland.

And a party source revealed that when constituency bosses confronted him, he allegedly said: “Shut up. You’re blowing my cover. I’m MI5.”

Ardis has now been kicked out of the party by red-faced bosses. And when the Record checked his credentials, they fell apart.

A senior Ministry of Defence source told us: “There has never been an Irish Guards officer called Ardis. He’s far too young to do the things he’s claimed.

“There aren’t many Guards colonels. It’s a pretty small club, so he was never going to get away with it.”

Colonel Tim Purdon OBE, the Irish Guards Adjutant, added: “He’s definitely not one of ours. You have to feel sorry for characters like this who make things up. I hope he hasn’t conned many people in Scotland.”

Experts also dismissed Ardis’s claims to be an aristocrat. David White at the College of Arms in London said: “There has never been a title of Elmbridge, nor has a family of that name held a peerage.”

It’s understood Ardis joined the local party in Falkirk in 2008. He contested Falkirk North in last year’s council elections but got only 346 first preference votes.

However, he remained a major presence in the local party, and was appointed their deputy chairman earlier this year. Chairwoman Lynn Munro asked Ardis to head the local European election campaign, and he helped man a Tory Better Together tent at the Edinburgh Mela festival.

In a CV Ardis sent to a non-profit organisation, he said he was a former “field officer at HM Armed Forces” who served in north Africa, Belize, Bosnia, Kosovo and Chechnya.

He also claimed to have advised the Foreign Office and MoD.

It’s understood Ardis lives with his elderly aunt, Irene, in a Falkirk high rise. She told us she hadn’t seen him for a couple of days and knew nothing about his fantasies, and he failed to respond to messages on his phone.

Get ready for a whole new batch of Walts after Dec 23rd.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359950/

Back home here in Canada ....
David Jeffrey Dodd says he is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, haunted by the scenes of his overseas experiences when his Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry platoon was bombed and a female soldier died in his arms.

"She was an incredible soldier. I lost 4 good soldiers and she was one!" Dodd posted on the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) Association Facebook page Sunday.

"I'm coming into a hard time of year (feb sucks bc that's when it happened) ... I can't sleep most nights because I see s--- in my dreams."

It would be a gut-wrenching story, if it was true.

But nobody who has served with the Patricias appears to know Dodd or know anyone who does.

Even more peculiar, the Patricias have never lost a female soldier in the manner Dodd described.

Those two inconsistencies sparked an online firestorm on the Facebook thread, with up to 900 comments, questioning who Dodd is and why he had made the comments he did.

Retired soldier Bill Finlayson was one of those irked by Dodd's posting.

"Between the 1,800 guys, we pretty much know every single person that has ever served with PPCLI that's still alive," he explained. "These guys are like a pack of wild dogs when it comes to protecting their own."

QMI Agency made repeated attempts to reach Dodd at his home in Peterborough, Ont. He has yet to respond.

Dodd appears to have since deleted his Facebook account, as well as his LinkedIn account, where among his experience he listed infantry soldier and armoured crewman in the Canadian Forces from 1996 to 2006.

In Peterborough, Dodd has served as the co-sergeant at arms at the local Legion. He has told QMI in the past that he served as a master corporal, since retired from active duty, and he has been photographed on at least two occasions wearing what appears to be a peacekeeping medal on his chest and a PPCLI badge on his beret ....
More in the Peterborough Examiner here
1297516856487_ORIGINAL.jpg

Royal Canadian Legion Branch 52 Color Sgt. David Dodd salutes during the playing of the Last Post at the Remembrance Day Service on Nov. 11, 2012 at the Peterborough Cenotaph in Confederation Square. Other soldiers are questioning the stories he has told about serving with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and why he is wearing medals without having served in duty. Branch 52 is conducting an investigation. Clifford Skarstedt/Peterborough Examiner/QMI Agency file photo

There's a guy I helped out this fall that hasn't made news yet.. I think he's skulked away. VETS Canada pointed me in his direction and I spent the better part of an evening meeting with him in the hospital then taking him to one of the emergency care clinics in Calgary to get his "much needed" drugs so he could sleep.  I dropped him off at a "cousin's" house in Airdire, where he carried on North to Red Deer and apparently stole from a family that helped him there.  Classy guy.

Name was Luke Gerhart.  I think there was something about him on the PPCLI facebook group.  He was selling himself as an ex CSOR/JTF2 guy.. worst thing was, someone vouched for him.. . a quick check in the records has him as BMQ qualified.. and that's all.

The best thing we can do is "out" these people on social media with due diligance. No mention of violence or anything like that.

The public has a right to know who their veterans are.

They also have a right to know who the Walts are.

Other than all the affiliated members and such,
the Legion should consider verifying their members service records
in the application process.

57Chevy said:
Other than all the affiliated members and such,
the Legion should consider verifying their members service records
in the application process.

VETS Canada rep suggests they checked his S/N and confirmed he "served". The problem with this Luke guy is that he ONLY did BMQ.  Then released.

Towards_the_gap said:
The fatal flaw in his waltery?

His hair is too short for a patricia.

LOL

Couldn't be a Strat for the same reason; although he does seem to be a bit portly.

Back