• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Journeyman said:
I don't know for sure either way, but I thought I'd read someone had found that he had no previous military service.  If so, he's still lying; it's only a matter of time until he's back in the uber-soldier mode.  :not-again:

If there was a program (MITE) that could see all the qualifications for all the current and former members of the CF and someone were to look through it.. they probably wouldn't find a single entry for a Carl Dale* (* being a wildcard in the search).

Just saying.

Bzzliteyr said:
If there was a program (MITE) that could see all the qualifications for all the current and former members of the CF and someone were to look through it.. they probably wouldn't find a single entry for a Carl Dale* (* being a wildcard in the search).

Just saying.

HRMS will pull up the data on retired military going back to at least the early '90s.  I'm not sure how far back it will go though.

I  want to clarify a few points about the Carl Dale case.

Military service: we obtained the results of service record checks made by two different military organizations prior to going to the Kingston Police: there was no record of any military service for him, at all.

Recommendation to drop charges:  Our Association didn't make any recommendation to drop any charges, because no charges were ever laid. Once we were sure of our facts, a complaint was laid with the Kingston Police Force (who were very helpful and supportive throughout the entire process). This might have become a charge at some point but it had not progressed that far. Our decision not to press the complaint further was made after the  "confession" and surrender of uniform items. It was also made after consideration of a bunch of factors: it wasn't a knee-jerk, and nobody pressured us in any way.

I'm not going to go into all the details, but I'd ask folks to consider that  each case of this kind of thing is unique and needs to be considered on its own merits. This case, for example, was quite different from the Dodd case in Peterborough, which was quite rightly handled in a different way.

What I am very sure of is that people like these sad fakes are best defeated by the rapid sharing of information. This was certainly what happened in the Dale case. Posers such as this type rely on an ignorant public to foist themselves onto. Once their game is exposed, it crumbles. I'm still not sure why his public appearances didn't lead immediately to his exposure,  given the silly way he was wearing his uniform, but that is done with.

Pbi,

do you think that people considering posing as members of the CF (past or present) would be less inclined to do so if criminal charges were laid against the ones we're catching now?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Pbi,

do you think that people considering posing as members of the CF (past or present) would be less inclined to do so if criminal charges were laid against the ones we're catching now?

This is a very good question, and one that we thought quite a bit about.  I'd have to weasel a bit and say "it depends". As you know, some people aren't deterred by the law from doing things that the rest of us would recognize as wrong.

It would be interesting to somehow find out how many charges are/were laid under CCC s.419 and how many resulted in a conviction.

IMO while the cops may be sympathetic and do their jobs, Crown Attorneys may be reluctant as these aren't high profile within society itself.....it's only important to us.

Jim Seggie said:
IMO while the cops may be sympathetic and do their jobs, Crown Attorneys may be reluctant as these aren't high profile within society itself.....it's only important to us.

I'm not sure about that (the Crown part). What was explained to us was that to have any real chance of a conviction this pretty well has to be a "found committing" type of offense.  (Not the situation in our case) But, that said, if you could actually nab someone directly in the act, the Crown might go after it. CCC 419 is a summary offence, so the trial is a bit simpler: no jury, low punishment scale, less likelihood of appeal. If you got a sympathetic Crown who wasn't overborne with more serious offences, you might just get it.

pbi - Thanks for sharing a bit more of the REST of the story.

pbi said:
I'm not sure about that (the Crown part). What was explained to us was that to have any real chance of a conviction this pretty well has to be a "found committing" type of offense.  (Not the situation in our case) But, that said, if you could actually nab someone directly in the act, the Crown might go after it. CCC 419 is a summary offence, so the trial is a bit simpler: no jury, low punishment scale, less likelihood of appeal. If you got a sympathetic Crown who wasn't overborne with more serious offences, you might just get it.

Good points!

pbi said:
.....I'm still not sure why his public appearances didn't lead immediately to his exposure,  given the silly way he was wearing his uniform.....
I suspect that it's because most of his 'public appearances' were not in DEU, but in his biker garb with the CAV and the Canadian Veterans Freedom Riders; I'm not a member of either group, but there is a tendency to wear various badges -- wings, Support the Troops, Afghanistan -- in a.......non-RSM approved manner.  ;) 

Perhaps he thought the same fashion rules applied to 'his' DEU, hence  :eek:

I gather the reason both bike clubs punted him was not because he wore a 2CMBG patch below his right pocket, but because his war-stories were right out of 'er.  :dunno:

George Wallace said:
The Stolen Valour - CA guys are after another fifty or so posers:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/fake-war-vet-exposed/3157562874001

Well that's the Legion of Frontiersmen unit here in Ontario gone then.

Danjanou said:
Well that's the Legion of Frontiersmen unit here in Ontario gone then.
Good Riddance!  The day that Mike9C joins the LOF is the day that I may reconsider changing my opinion about them.

AD, I don't have enough time left on the earth to sort those dudes out... MM and ModlrMike are in their AO, they are still young enough to give it a go.

mikeninercharlie said:
AD, I don't have enough time left on the earth to sort those dudes out... MM and ModlrMike are in their AO, they are still young enough to give it a go.

:boke:  :loser:

MM

mikeninercharlie said:

Their hand placement for the present is atrocious...  :-\

Looks like they mugged a RCMP recruit for uniform parts.

Back