• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Humphrey Bogart

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
4,954
Points
1,360
Brihard said:
I know Aaron, and I watched these SVC clowns hound him. This is after another CAF vet, now a police officer (buddy of mine), even passed along word that he had personally seen the letter from DH&R. And yes, someone illegally accessed his MPRR and passed it along to SVC. That’s potentially unlawful use of a computer system, and breach of trust- two criminal offences.

Aaron got dragged through the mud for a long time over this. He was released - a wounded veteran with publicly disclosed physical and mental health issues - and some clerk somewhere, wanting to be helpful, though from a CFTPO record that he had been in theater long enough to have earned a GCS as well as his SWASM (and sacrifice medal). He was sent the medal in the mail with a letter explaining his entitlement. It turned out to have been in error, but they were quick to unleash the dogs. I watched them incite bullying and harassment while hiding behind the anonymity of a web page and Facebook group. It was cowardly.

Anyway, they screwed up badly. Yes, the medal was in error, and once Aaron got notification of this from DH&R he’s taken action to remedy the situation. As for SVC? Knowing Aaron, he’ll be taking action to remedy them, too. He was one of the plaintiffs in the Equitas lawsuit. I would not ant to have been on the wrong side of this bit of malicious hounding. I’m just glad that when they finally, inevitably screwed up, they didn’t push a vet to suicide. They very easily could have.

These guys are cowards.  I hope they get investigated, outed and charged for this.  I also hope Aaron sues them.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
1,756
Points
1,060
Has someone notified NIS about the potential breach of trust?

This whole debacle and their unwillingness to publicly apologize has soured me on SVC. They were wrong, should admit it and carry on. They do good work, but also shouldn't be publicly shaming people until they collect all the facts. Aaron honestly thought he was entitled because DND gave him the medal... he did nothing wrong.
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
5,198
Points
1,110
PuckChaser said:
Has someone notified NIS about the potential breach of trust?

This whole debacle and their unwillingness to publicly apologize has soured me on SVC. They were wrong, should admit it and carry on. They do good work, but also shouldn't be publicly shaming people until they collect all the facts. Aaron honestly thought he was entitled because DND gave him the medal... he did nothing wrong.

I believe MPs were contacted a while ago. I have no personal involvement, I just know him and a few others closer to the situation.

Interesting, the Stolen Valour Canada facebook page and twitter account are both completely gone as of today.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
11,365
Points
1,160
PuckChaser said:
Has someone notified NIS about the potential breach of trust?

This whole debacle and their unwillingness to publicly apologize has soured me on SVC. They were wrong, should admit it and carry on. They do good work, but also shouldn't be publicly shaming people until they collect all the facts. Aaron honestly thought he was entitled because DND gave him the medal... he did nothing wrong.

So vigilantism is wrong?

This will destroy a dozen Netflix series ;)
 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
9
Points
530
Brihard said:
I believe MPs were contacted a while ago. I have no personal involvement, I just know him and a few others closer to the situation.

Interesting, the Stolen Valour Canada facebook page and twitter account are both completely gone as of today.
Their website is still up, although the blog and "Hall of Shame" have been wiped.

Good riddance IMHO, have never been a fan.
 

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,675
Points
1,040
Brihard said:
[...]
I’m just glad that when they finally, inevitably screwed up, they didn’t push a vet to suicide. They very easily could have.

This is an important point and actually came up on the FB group I originally saw this posted to. Not sure if it's true, but they apparently already drove another vet to suicide with this kind of behaviour. Could absolutely see it happening though, as these aresholes were relentless.

Sure, go after the knobheads with obviously false claims (like the armored ranger bomb disposal wanker) but going after a known vet for a tour medal is insane, especially when you know they are struggling with mental health issues.

Frak these SVC guys; big keyboard warriors who were happy to hide behind anonymity of a website and FB account. Hopefully Aaron can figure out who they are and hold them to account, and anyone involved in the illegal access and sharing of protected info gets the appropriate criminal charges.
 

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,909
Points
1,310
I will shamefully admit I was a gung ho supporter of SVC when they first came about. Then things started getting.... vindictive.

I know for every Gervais "super ninja Sniper Recon" we like to see come to justice, there are always cases of people that get tarred with the same brush unnecessarily. I have a couple unique gongs by nature of my experiences and opportunities, and that are all legit, but I could easily have been the target of "hmmm.... that's suspicious" crusaders dragging my name through the mud. Education is one thing. Filing a complaint in with local Law Enforcement is another. Publicly shaming and slandering people on a web forum? Unnecessary.

I sincerely hope SVC is taken to task for the libel and slander, and that NIS gets involved in the breech of privacy.
 

stoker dave

Member
Reaction score
164
Points
660
So if SVC will no longer investigate the "Walts, posers and wannabes", who will?

(I will snidely add that should be the Royal Canadian Legion, but we know they either won't or can't.)
 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
9
Points
530
stoker dave said:
So if SVC will no longer investigate the "Walts, posers and wannabes", who will?

(I will snidely add that should be the Royal Canadian Legion, but we know they either won't or can't.)
I dunno, maybe the police? I mean, they are the ones mandated to investigate criminal offences after all. Plus they have the ability to legally confirm eligibility, unlike the SVC crowd. 

If you're meaning who is going to be "investigating" someone's claim they were a chairborne commando with the 1st Fuzzyliars Potscrubbing Battalion, who really cares?
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
7,157
Points
1,090
Their website claims that their members have "over 100 years of combined service".

So, three dudes who puttered away to reach 35 years each.

EDIT to add: WHOIS information for the domain has had the contact information redacted for privacy purposes.

https://www.cira.ca/ca-domains/whois?domain=stolenvalour


EDIT again: Apparently, they never heard of the Internet Archive...  http://web.archive.org/web/20200501213008/http://www.stolenvalour.ca/
 

Humphrey Bogart

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
4,954
Points
1,360
dapaterson said:
Their website claims that their members have "over 100 years of combined service".

So, three dudes who puttered away to reach 35 years each.

EDIT to add: WHOIS information for the domain has had the contact information redacted for privacy purposes.

https://www.cira.ca/ca-domains/whois?domain=stolenvalour


EDIT again: Apparently, they never heard of the Internet Archive...  http://web.archive.org/web/20200501213008/http://www.stolenvalour.ca/

That's not a problem for a lawyer or the Police.  The Domain is provided to SVC by Netfirms Canada.  The Domain Owners privacy is protected, unless...

They receive a court order, then they will hand over all pertinent information:

https://www1.netfirms.com/legal/report_spam_and_abuse.bml
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
5,198
Points
1,110
Humphrey Bogart said:
That's not a problem for a lawyer or the Police.  The Domain is provided to SVC by Netfirms Canada.  The Domain Owners privacy is protected, unless...

They receive a court order, then they will hand over all pertinent information:

https://www1.netfirms.com/legal/report_spam_and_abuse.bml

Getting website registration data for a site registered by a Canadian hosting company is east, police just need to swear an information to obtain a production order, claiming reasonable grounds to believe the records sought would provide evidence of a criminal offense. These can be bashed out in a couple hours and sworn as soon as a Justice of the peace is available. Typically the holder of the records has thirty days to comply.
 

lenaitch

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,040
Brihard said:
Getting website registration data for a site registered by a Canadian hosting company is east, police just need to swear an information to obtain a production order, claiming reasonable grounds to believe the records sought would provide evidence of a criminal offense. These can be bashed out in a couple hours and sworn as soon as a Justice of the peace is available. Typically the holder of the records has thirty days to comply.

For legitimate instances of Stolen Valour, the alleged offence would typically have to be Sec. 419CC (fraudulent use of medals, etc.).  If they are hounding somebody without foundation a case might be made for Sec. 140 (Public Mischief - alleging an offence not committed).
 

kkwd

Sr. Member
Reaction score
43
Points
460
Brihard said:
What drunken monkey cobbled that rack together?
You can say that about the entire "outfit". It has 5 bids pushing the price up to $101. Some people will buy anything.
 

Scott

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
289
Points
980
@stolenvalourca on Twitter.

They're back and appear unrepentant.

What's a genuine veteran?
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
5,198
Points
1,110
Scott said:
@stolenvalourca on Twitter.

They're back and appear unrepentant.

What's a genuine veteran?

Dunno, but when you’re getting lit up by meme pages for your lack of integrity and accountability, that’s a fail.

I suspect this ordeal is not yet over for them.
 
Top