• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wall Street Rule for the #MeToo Era: Avoid Women at All Cost

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wall Street Rule for the #MeToo Era: Avoid Women at All Cost

Interviews with more than 30 senior executives suggest many are spooked by #MeToo and struggling to cope. “It’s creating a sense of walking on eggshells,” said David Bahnsen, a former managing director at Morgan Stanley who’s now an independent adviser overseeing more than US$1.5 billion.

This is hardly a single-industry phenomenon, as men across the country check their behaviour at work, to protect themselves in the face of what they consider unreasonable political correctness — or to simply do the right thing. The upshot is forceful on Wall Street, where women are scarce in the upper ranks. The industry has also long nurtured a culture that keeps harassment complaints out of the courts and public eye, and has so far avoided a mega-scandal like the one that has engulfed Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/a-wall-street-rule-for-the-metoo-era-avoid-women-at-all-cost

Kinda hilarious to imagine a bunch a high powered billionaire executives "struggling to cope" with the #MeToo movement. But anyway, will say that while many of these accusations are legit and involved serious sexual assault, rape and abuse of power (Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes, Bill O Reilly and Matt Lauer), there are some people accused that just make me shake my head. Like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who's accuser is f###ing ridiculous (https://www.inquisitr.com/5190021/neil-degrasse-tyson-responds-sexual-misconduct-allegations/)

And losing Senator Al Franken! He was a friend of women, with the exception of one pic, poor taste, poor timing. Being made mildly uncomfortable by a dumb come-on or a bad joke is not the same as being assaulted.

I suspect that that is going to become more prevalent.  Better to avoid a situation altogether.  I know I make sure I'm never alone with certain colleagues.  In fact there are people in the office I avoid completely.  2 in particular that complain about everything.  Nothing of a sexual nature but just complain. Enough to make me want to avoid them at all costs. 

Never interview/meet with a woman alone in an office, especially if it is a closed door matter, without another women at least one rank higher (minimum rank Sgt for NCM's) should keep you out of conflict.

"Never stick you quill in the company's ink".

While false accusations are as old as time I'd argue that today's climate finds anyone accused more likely to be vilified. There's the whole #BelieveVictims and people who wil argue any woman who makes an accusation should automatically be believed (unless of course it's against that person or someone they know, then it appears to be different).

There are people out there who argue a woman wouldn't accuse someone of something if it wasn't true.

Completely agree people shouldn't be pigs. Do I think that's enough to assuage their fears of false accusations and that things will be fine? No.

Here's my question. While it's a good practice to always have a witness when taking someone aside to have a private (disciplinary type) conversation I'm not that concerned when it's just me and a guy. I won't do that with a female soldier however.
Am I being a hypocrite and treating the female soldier unfairly since I would willingly treat a man different? Is that sexism?

Jarnhamar said:
While false accusations are as old as time I'd argue that today's climate finds anyone accused more likely to be vilified. There's the whole #BelieveVictims and people who wil argue any woman who makes an accusation should automatically be believed (unless of course it's against that person or someone they know, then it appears to be different).

There are people out there who argue a woman wouldn't accuse someone of something if it wasn't true.

Completely agree people shouldn't be pigs. Do I think that's enough to assuage their fears of false accusations and that things will be fine? No.

Here's my question. While it's a good practice to always have a witness when taking someone aside to have a private (disciplinary type) conversation I'm not that concerned when it's just me and a guy. I won't do that with a female soldier however.
Am I being a hypocrite and treating the female soldier unfairly since I would willingly treat a man different? Is that sexism?

No.  I think it has to do with known people instead of man vs woman.

I was permanently partnered with a woman.
Cooped up together for 12+ hours at a time. Sometimes as long as 16. Around the clock.

Cooking and eating at the same little table for two. Sleeping on couches only a few feet from each other in a tiny two-man* squad room.
Only one bathroom / shower.

*There were no women on the job when I hired on.

We had our petty squabbles like any other "couple". But, unlike many failed male-male partnerships on the job, we never got a "divorce".

She was a true blue partner. We still keep in touch.

Jarnhamar said:

I think in today's environment, you should always have a third person present - male or female - no matter who you are dealing with. False accusations aren't limited to inappropriate sexual conduct.

Remius said:

It's said, but there's been many a case (mostly when I was working with the reserves) where we would actually record conversations because you would not believe the bullshit people would complain about. An Lt(N) (Head of Department) and a CHOD (Chief of Department) had a meeting with an A/SLt simply telling the subordinate officer that they weren't doing their job and that they needed to shape up and actually follow orders and meet deadlines resulted in a harassment complaint against the Lt(N).

Lumber said:
It's said, but there's been many a case (mostly when I was working with the reserves) where we would actually record conversations because you would not believe the bullshit people would complain about. An Lt(N) (Head of Department) and a CHOD (Chief of Department) had a meeting with an A/SLt simply telling the subordinate officer that they weren't doing their job and that they needed to shape up and actually follow orders and meet deadlines resulted in a harassment complaint against the Lt(N).

I have had to deal with a similar situation... and they were both females.  ::)

Lumber said:

In case any readers get any ideas...all parties knew they were being recorded right?

The subordinate's gender doesn't matter.  Either have a 3rd party present or if it is a confidential matter record or better yet video record the whole process and then give the other party a copy.  If you are the subordinate, insist on having a 3rd party present to ensure that in the event something goes south later your superior can't pass the blame down saying I told him/her...

YZT580 said:
The subordinate's gender doesn't matter.  Either have a 3rd party present or if it is a confidential matter record or better yet video record the whole process and then give the other party a copy.  If you are the subordinate, insist on having a 3rd party present to ensure that in the event something goes south later your superior can't pass the blame down saying I told him/her...

Wouldn't it be easier to hire a lawyer to sit beside every Officer/SNCO conducting a performance review? ;)

Strike said:
I think in today's environment, you should always have a third person present - male or female - no matter who you are dealing with.

Yea you're right. Very wise precaution indeed. But a sad reflection of our society both for abusers and fakers.

False accusations aren't limited to inappropriate sexual conduct.

Very much agree they're not but I still think there is an inclination to overreact (for lack of a better word) when the accusation is sexual in nature. On one hand it's a good thing due to how devastating sexual harassment/assault is but on the other hand I think the accused tend to get treated as guilty until proven innocent.

Back