• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VOT from NWO in PRes

Trumpeter42

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a colleague who wanted to go PRes Navy as an officer. The only trade he was offered by recruiting was NWO, although he learned later that other trades were open and he’s also qualified for them. He wasn’t told about the training requirements before enrolment, and not until after BMOQ. While on BMOQ, he lost his civvy job and had to move to a new civilian career. The new civvy work does not allow the length of time periods off for NWO training, and certainly not for any kind of deployment in the trade. He’s requested a VOT, and he’s qualified for entry in 3 other officer trades in his unit. NavRes has denied his VOT, stating that they’re not allowing any NWO officers who aren’t OFP to VOT to something else. Now he’s stuck as an untrained Jr Officer, and can’t see a way out of it aside from releasing. He very much wants to serve, but needs work/training that allows him to keep his civ career going.

Any ideas?

I have a colleague who wanted to go PRes Navy as an officer. The only trade he was offered by recruiting was NWO, although he learned later that other trades were open and he’s also qualified for them. He wasn’t told about the training requirements before enrolment, and not until after BMOQ. While on BMOQ, he lost his civvy job and had to move to a new civilian career. The new civvy work does not allow the length of time periods off for NWO training, and certainly not for any kind of deployment in the trade. He’s requested a VOT, and he’s qualified for entry in 3 other officer trades in his unit. NavRes has denied his VOT, stating that they’re not allowing any NWO officers who aren’t OFP to VOT to something else. Now he’s stuck as an untrained Jr Officer, and can’t see a way out of it aside from releasing. He very much wants to serve, but needs work/training that allows him to keep his civ career going.

Any ideas?

Trumpeter42 said:

Any ideas?

Honestly, his best bet would be to release.  I've seen how NAVRes treats people who want to OT that is untrained and it's usually poorly.

Think about it, many people along with the organization will see your friend as showing a lack of commitment, especially considering he hasn't even attempted one of his phases yet.

Also, he is in the Navy, there are very few Navy Officer positions that aren't filled by either NWOs or NTOs (Naval Technical Officers) unlike the Army, the Navy has very few specializations ane most Officers are NWOs first and foremost.  It's only once they spend a few years as an NWO that they can stream in to a D-Level specialization.

Actually, this NRD has a specialty officer trade that he is specifically qualified for, and can’t be filled by a NWO officer. And they allowed him to compete for the position. Once the selection process was down to two individuals, he was told that, although he was the better candidate, NavRes wouldn’t allow him out of the NWO trade. 

If he releases, can he get back in on a different trade?

“Think about it, many people along with the organization will see your friend as showing a lack of commitment, especially considering he hasn't even attempted one of his phases yet  ”

Yes, I’ve seen that attitude. But it’s not a matter of commitment, unless the Navy defines commitment as being willing to give up your civilian employment for a course. Many civilian jobs won’t give the 2 months off needed for NWO II, let alone the 4 months off needed for NWO III and IV.

I’ve been in the Army PRes for 37 years now, and I’ve never treated anyone like that. I’m VOTing one of my people right now because his starting trade just doesn’t fit with his school & employment. I’m not in the business of trapping someone in a box that doesn’t work for them or the CAF.

Back