• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voodoo Tactical Tobago Pack

Bigg_H

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a civilian. I want to get a good back pack for hiking. I came across a voodoo tobago pack at a local store and I was wondering how it held up. Maybe I mis-searched but I could not find any info on it. I noticed the pack is under $100 US in the USA. So my question is do you get what you pay for? Or are you getting a deal; locally it is about $150 cdn. Or is it just a straight POS?

I will use it for backpacking/hiking through the Kananaskis area in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta. We do get some rain, but nothing like Vancouver, for eg. I will be out for as little as 1 night or as long as 6. I believe it is approx a 44 liter pack. It is molle/pals compatible, so I can add more pockets as I need them.

Is it a good buy? Should I stick to MEC stuff? Thanks!

Here's a link: http://www.voodootactical.net/Items/ms-15-7866-p?&caSKU=ms-15-7866-p&caTitle=Voodoo%20Tactical%20Large%20Tobago%20MOLLE%20Assault%20Pack

A quick search on lightfighter.net yields the following result:

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2756008371/m/8161026153?r=8611024253#8611024253

I think you'll have to create an account to view that forum, but for your benefit here are a few choice quotes from the members there:

Voodoo Tactical seems to be what used to be Mil-Spec Plus (so it's the same thing) and both are rip-offs of name brand items by various companies...

The materials to make most of the packs listed there would cost more then they are charging for the packs themselves. That should be a major red flag right there that they are selling junk

It is cheap crap, but some cheap crap is better than others. For instance, I have one each of the "Level III Assault Pack" ( a knockoff of a Maxpedition design) and the "Tobago Large Cargo Pack" (a knockoff of the larger CamelBack pack). Of the two, the Level III is not bad and has given good service, but I dont trust the Tobago to haul anything more challenging than a trip to the laundromat. So, it depends on what level of performance you expect, and exactly what model you get. YMMV, and all that.

It seems like a case of "you get what you pay for..."

EDIT

Here's a link to the Camelbak BFM, which seems to be the "inspiration" behind the Tobago Pack. Notice the price difference: $172.86 for the Camelbak, $89.95 for the Voodoo.

http://tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/packs%20main/camelbak_bfm.htm

It's a good thing it's not our new CF ruck. For a civie, you'd have to pay a thousand bucks and head off to a secret squirrel school for a week to learn how to put it on. Cause there's only, like, four guys in Canada that know how to fit it. If you didn't we wouldn't be able to let you even look at it. Well, we could, but then we'd have to kill you. It's really that special a piece of gear ::)

j/k ;D

Can all Voodoo Tactical's kit be considered crap then, is that their usual rep? Or is this pack an anomaly?

We have brought in the VooDoo Tactical line to have a brand with a similar price point as 5.11 and here is my thoughts on it.

1) Same quality as 5.11, Blackhawk etc.

2) Not as "clean" a finish as TAG, HSGI, TAD etc.

3) It does have a lifetime warrenty

4) Price point is such because they are made overseas and they don't use 1000 Cordura in everything

5) Will it work overseas?  We have had good feeback so far.

I've owned that pack, the knockoff version, albiet only for use as a gym bag or to drag stuff to work.

It is not made with the highest quality materials, or manufactured with quality German engineering. However, if you only want it for light use backpacking, this knockoff will do just fine. It wont disintegrate as soon as you put it on.

If you want to use it for several years of sustained use, loaded heavy or packed to bursting strength on occasion, and abusing it more then your average civvie, do yourself a favour and drop a couple more bucks for the Camelbak BFM or Motherlode, they would definately serve you better.

Compare the two side by side and there's no contest.

Farmboy said:
We have brought in the VooDoo Tactical line to have a brand with a similar price point as 5.11 and here is my thoughts on it.
1) Same quality as 5.11, Blackhawk etc.
2) Not as "clean" a finish as TAG, HSGI, TAD etc.
3) It does have a lifetime warrenty
4) Price point is such because they are made overseas and they don't use 1000 Cordura in everything
5) Will it work overseas?  We have had good feeback so far.

I will say, IMHO, that I do not necessairily equate VooDoo to Blackhawk. I have owned several Blackhawk items which I was extremely confident in. The VooDoo pack, however, I was always concerned about popping a zipper or tearing the stitching on a drag handle. I also thought that the packcloth on the inside was wayyy too lightweight.

Farmboy: I've noticed a while ago that you brought in the "VooDoo Tactical" line of equipment. May I ask why? I've always thought of OneShot as being a company which carried only top-shelf gear.

I am not saying that VooDoo stuff is complete crap, but why the compromise?

Cheers,
Eric

Farmboy: I've noticed a while ago that you brought in the "VooDoo Tactical" line of equipment. May I ask why? I've always thought of OneShot as being a company which carried only top-shelf gear.

We have been looking for a line that was comparible to 5.11, Blackhawk in price and quality.  There are a number of agencies that we deal with who's primary concern is price because of their budget.

They would go with the lowest quote from other companies but then still wait forever for it to be delivered.  We can now provide them with gear that has a lifetime warrenty, at a price they can afford, within the time frame they need it.

Basically we brought it in to service our agency clients while keeping in line with our lifetime warrenty focus.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go with a pack I can abuse. ;)

Okay, so I have it down to the Maxpedition Vulture II, the Camelbak BFM, and the Tag 5-day. I want versatility out of the bag. From hunting to light trips and to heavy trips; I'd even like to be able to throw in a bag of sand for some extra weight while running. I like to pack light. I have only ever done overnight excursions, so multiday trips are a little beyond my experience.

So, how far would you guys push any of the three above packs? One trip I may do is the West Coast Trail. It is wet, and takes a fast 4 days to a long 7 days. I weigh about 220 now, so I gotta pack my caloric intake. For sleeping, I was thinking of the Hennessy hammock and going with a Cadpat bivy from the local surplus store. Thanks for your input!

Bigg_H said:
Okay, so I have it down to the Maxpedition Vulture II, the Camelbak BFM, and the Tag 5-day. I want versatility out of the bag. From hunting to light trips and to heavy trips; I'd even like to be able to throw in a bag of sand for some extra weight while running. I like to pack light. I have only ever done overnight excursions, so multiday trips are a little beyond my experience.

So, how far would you guys push any of the three above packs? One trip I may do is the West Coast Trail. It is wet, and takes a fast 4 days to a long 7 days. I weigh about 220 now, so I gotta pack my caloric intake. For sleeping, I was thinking of the Hennessy hammock and going with a Cadpat bivy from the local surplus store. Thanks for your input!

Would I put a full sand-bag in any of the three assault packs you mentioned and go jogging with them? Nope. I'm sure they could handle it, but they're not ergonomic enough to run with a 45lb ball of sand bouncing around inside the pack and slamming into your back every step. I'm 99% sure those 3 packs only have a plastic backpad as a frame (Not too sure about Maxpedition)

Why are you looking for an assault pack/three day pack? Is there a specific requirement for the kit be of military colour/pattern and have PALS/MOLLE all over it, or is it all about the LCF?

For what you're asking for out of a pack, you'd be better off with a pack from MEC or LeBarons or something. When you go in there, the sales people will be more then forthcoming. Tell 'em what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. Try them all on.

For what you're asking for out of a pack, you'd be better off with a pack from MEC or LeBarons or something. When you go in there, the sales people will be more then forthcoming. Tell 'em what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. Try them all on.

I agree.

A good military pack and a good civvie pack are not necessarily the same.  Check out the packs here.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699867&bmUID=1238125863842

They're in the same price range as the three you've mentioned, but with features you'll actually use. For example, instead of spending on a pack with MOLLE webbing, spend on a pack that comes with a good waist belt.  It'll make your life much easier.

Yeah, I am all about the LCF  ;) But also it looks as if I will be enrolled here shortly so I thought I would try to "get two birds stoned at once" and get a comfortable Military pack. I looked over all of the mentioned packs and I am going with a MEC pack. I don't think I'll need a good Military pack if I am in the Air Force.

i bought one of the tobago pack a while back. ive had no problems with it so far. once i changed out a few things like the plastic quick release shoulder strap buckles, and the back support.  ive gone out one expeditions with a fair load in it (approx. 95lbs) and it held up, no ripss, no slit seams.

Back