• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release (VR) from Reserve - anytime [Merged]

walkingdog said:
i see, thanks for the concern. i definitly want to rejoin, just how do i go about this without screwing over my regiment?

I agree with the "finish the course" comments.

If you are sincere about wanting to rejoin, now is a bad time/I am busy stuff...discuss this with your unit.  They may be able to help. 

There are options, discussing "how long you are busy for" etc with them, they may be able to work around it.  Delay your next course, let you train when avail until  you can commmit, etc.  Different units, and even different COs take different approachs to this.  Some understand 'life happens' and will accomodate.  YOu could apply for a period of ED & T (exempt Drill and Trg, if that still exists) where you don't go NES if you aren't at trg nights/weekends.  In short, there may be options other than release.

Food for thought if you are serious about not wanting to just get out and stay out.  Its the Reserves, so you serve under Reserve Terms of Service.  You don't get fired if you miss a training night or exercise.

However, if you do get out and seriously plan on rejoining, finish the course and ask about the Supplemental Ready Reserve in your OR/CofC.

when i say rejoin i was thinking sometime down the line like 5 years once i get myself established

I am considering requesting a voluntary release. I am in the reserves and have not accepted any grant money for my education.
I was wondering what the process is, what to expect, and what required information I must supply for my release.
Also, if I am approved for a voluntary release, am I allowed to re-apply in the future?

Care to discuss the reasons for your VR? Lots of information here... may change your mind. I read somewhere on the forum it was 24 months before you can reapply but someone will have to confirm or refute with proper information.

QR&O 15 answers most of your questions, since you have not mention if you are an NCM or Officer, or how long you have served.

A simple item 4(c) release IAW the ref above requires a memo through your chain of command and waiting for it to be approved. While waiting, gather all your issued gear (clothing, equipment ect) and have it clean and ready to return to stores.

Once approved and you stuff if returned, you will sign some final paperwork and you are out the door.

If you and your reserve unit do everything correctly, there is always the option in the future to reapply but you will be competing against everyone else who is applying off the street. In some cases, reapplying can slow down your application as the CFRG has to verify former service.

Thank you for the replies.

NCM, just shy of 2 years. Only BMQ qualified.

Can you clarify "A simple item 4(c) release IAW the ref above". What should/must I include in the memo?

Based on your posts, your 4(c) release would be a simple one.

Just follow a basic memo formate your Ship's Office / OR should be able to assist you with it.

Ensure you include contact information (address, phone number, email) that the unit could reach you at for the next
few years (suggest 5 years). This way if there is any reason for the military to contact you, they can.

Do not forget to include the reason why you want to release 4(c). Remember that this reason will be on file might be reviewed
if (when) you reapply.

Your supervisors should be able to assist you with these questions.

I want to preface this by saying I've read every post/thread on this forum pertaining to Voluntary Release  - but I am looking for insight from people who have had recent experience with this.

It was my understanding, having spoken to a Senior Recruiting Officer at my local CFRC, that a recruit's initial (absolute) commitment was for the Indoc period of BMQ (5 weeks). At that point, a recruit could be released voluntarily if s/he requested it. My husband is now hearing conflicting information regarding the earliest possible timeframe for release in cases where the recruit is not injured or deemed psychologically unfit to remain. He has been told that it takes 5 weeks from the time of the final (in this case: fourth) counselling on the matter. (His fire drill partner was laughed at when he explained that his wife was sick at home.)

I understand that everything in the CF world is on a case by case basis and that approving/processing a VR request is near the bottom of a long list of priorities (I know that the admin end of handling the return of a soldier's kit/arranging for travel home, etc. has to be a massive headache when the focus needs to be on actually training the recruits who are staying...) - but that said - I am just looking for clarification about the most current iteration of policy regarding minimum commitment. CFAO is no longer online and what I have read (will be granted release no later than the end of BMQ) conflicts with the 5-week timeframe the Senior Recruiting Officer explained to me.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

You can request a Voluntary Release anytime prior to completion of your Basic Occupational Training (ie; QL3/OFP).  Once you are occupation qualified for first time employment, then the CF is under no obligation to entertain your request and you are committed to completing your initial VIE or a minimum of 36 months of service from the date of enrolment.

I did not VR obviously, but we had 11 on my platoon who did. The guy who said he heard voices got out in 2 weeks. The guy who needed out for family reasons stayed on a release platoon PAR (personelle awaiting release) for 6 weeks. There is a lot of paperwork involved, and they do it in order of urgency. You cannot put in a VR until after indoc., unless it is for psychiatric reasons.

I did my interview three weeks or so ago, and at that point the MCC made it clear that if you accept your offer and swear in, you are contractually obligated to remain with your platoon until the end of indoc, and only at that point can you put in a VR. I had to verbally agree with that statement before he could even continue on with the rest of the interview. Beyond that, I would expect 2-4 weeks or so to actually process the request if it's approved - and a VR doesn't have to be approved, necessarily. How strongly this policy is followed I would have no idea on, but it is apparently the new policy, likely to try and get recruits to get enough time to be able to make a better informed decision on whether or not the Forces are right for them.

Your right when you say its case by case. Im in week 8 right now, we've had guys VR in week 1 and were gone, off base, at home within 2 weeks. There are still guys from our platoon awating release (PAR referenced above). There was a guy that was allowed to go home for a few days for "compassion leave" when his family member died,, and he has now been recoursed to another platoon in an earlier phase of training.

The new and exciting news is that the Treasury Board of Canada has decided that any recruit that VRs from BMQ is now on their own in regards to getting home and personal storage. It used to be that the CF would pay for the recruits flight home, and continue to pay for their persnal storage/vehicle storage until the recruit got home. Now, as soon as the VR is signed - the CF stops all payments and the recruit is responsible for it all.

108 Stitches said:
The new and exciting news is that the Treasury Board of Canada has decided that any recruit that VRs from BMQ is now on their own in regards to getting home and personal storage. It used to be that the CF would pay for the recruits flight home, and continue to pay for their persnal storage/vehicle storage until the recruit got home. Now, as soon as the VR is signed - the CF stops all payments and the recruit is responsible for it all.

That's not new.  That's been the policy for as long as I've been around.  Whether it was enforced that way or not is another issue...

108 Stitches said:

Good news, now we just have to get rid of fat camp warrior platoon and we'll save a whole lot of money flying people out who just waste time there.

108 Stitches said:

Beautiful.

i cannot remember where i saw or heard it, but i remember vaguely that they try to keep you for the first 5 weeks as everyone is still gelling as a team and a lot of the VR requests were for petty things, i could be wrong though.

marinemech said:
i cannot remember where i saw or heard it, but i remember vaguely that they try to keep you for the first 5 weeks as everyone is still gelling as a team and a lot of the VR requests were for petty things, i could be wrong though.

That's not policy, that's the instructors job, if they think you have potential then they will try to convince you to stay.  If they think you are a plug, they just may expedite your memo.  The transition from civilian to military life is not a pleasant one for the majority of people, and if the CAF entertained every request to VR, BMQ's would probably only graduate half a dozen people.

marinemech said:

You're correct! I had an interview on Thursday and the Lieutenant informed me that you cannot volunteer release until week 5.

Back