• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vocational rehab taking longer than 2 years

gryphonv

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this? I recently started vocational rehab in September, hit the wall in November with many panic attacks, and other mental health issues. I have been going to a psychologist and they feel it is in my best interest to take a step back from everything and focus on my health.

Long and short it looks like I'm going to miss some time towards my rehab. I wasn't released for mental health although I've been struggling with addiction that developed in the forces. My mental health has probably gotten worse since release. I have a claim in with VAC that is approaching 9 months with about 6 at step 3, though I wouldn't be surprised if this gets denied, as attributing to my service will be hard.

I just feel to be in a tremendous pickle right now. I need to get retrained, I have been reassured by both VAC and Manulife that if medical conditions are holding me back, benefits will be extended, and I'm not the first to go through it. All I know its hard for me to unplug from this.

I haven't had a personal experience like your situation but have been told that the 2 years can be extended especially due to medical reasons. If your 2 years ends with SISIP and they decide your staying on with SISIP the time restrictions for voc rehab are lifted but the amount of $25k remains.

You should let your voc rehab counciller know what's going on and they will let you know your options. Also if you need to back out of your program while you get better it's best to let SISIP know right away so they have a chance at getting a possible refund.

It will work out and both SISIP and VAC would prefer to have you retrained and in the workforce so they don't have to pay you.

Back