• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vimy Ridge no-shows

An interesting story as to how Lowell Green of CFRA, Ottawa,
http://www.cfra.com/hosts/lowell.asp

got to go to the Vimy ceremonies.

Lowell for many years has been a great supporter of veterans on his show and in the community (and of the CF generally--he was major mover behind the Wear Red Friday rally on Parliament Hill last fall).  So, as he told his listeners some time ago, CFRA asked Veterans Affairs if he could be part of the official press delegation going to Vimy, with the intent that he would report back for a number of radio stations.

This Monday Lowell said on his show that Veterans Affairs bureaucrats had turned down the request.  Lowell did not give a reason (I suspect it was that the limited number of press seats on the official plane were restricted to the Parliamentary Press Gallery; a local, conservative talk show host was no doubt thought infra dig--however much he had done for veterans and the CF), and he did not complain much. 

Many listeners however were riled up and started contacting MPs, the PMO, etc.  Just as the Monday show was ending Environment Minister John Baird (from an Ottawa riding) phoned Lowell and told him he was, after all, in.  The power of the people for once.

It took Lowell another day to make last-minute arrangements so that he could in fact go, but on Tuesday he announced he would be off.  According to Lowell it was the PMO that had--to put it nicely--helped Veterans Affairs see the light.

You might check the main CFRA website later this week to see when Lowell will be broadcasting.
http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp

Mark
Ottawa

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
Or, perhaps a train going over 500 kph?

And of interest to those with old eyes:  http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/532-286.aspx  :D

recceguy said:
Guess they weren't, typically, aware of the signifigance of the historical Canadian dates, when they booked their other 'commitments' ::)  Ignorance of Canadian history? Or cheap shot artists? Either or both, take your pick.

Maybe they changed the dates for the battle and Stephanie  :crybaby:and Jacquline didn't get the memo. ::)

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
As I told my kids for the past few nights "Remember, at this day and time 90 years ago, the guns were already firing on the Germans."

And, as I got my 6 year old to say yesterday at the Oromocto Mall, listening to the BOOM of the Artillery: "Thank God, The Guns!"  ;D

Indoctrinator of children! (Sorry, that's another thread.)

And to those recent arrivals from other cultures who think Canada had no culture until they graced us with their presence and delightful recipes, I say there are 60,000 white crosses in France that proclaim " We were a magnificent country before you could even find us on a map."

We were just as much a nation of ethnic diversity back then as we are now. Canadian culture is characterized by the fact that we are a nation of immigrants who’s cultures have all blended together.

FrenchAffair said:
We were just as much a nation of ethnic diversity back then as we are now.

Sure, with 76% of immigrants being from Europe, and 2.7% from Asia in 1921 verus the 5% spread in 2001
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/statistics.asp

In fact, if you look at this table: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/etoimm/imm.cfm from Stats Canada you won't see, excluding the USA, a non-European (depending on how one defines "European") nation on the list until the "Other West Indies" appear with 3% in the 1960's.

I'll concede that "other" cultural numbers rose steadily after that, but the myth that Canada's been this big multicult mixture from day one is patently false.

FrenchAffair said:
Canadian culture is characterized by the fact that we are a nation of immigrants who’s cultures have all blended together.

Please define "Canadian Culture".

Speak for yourself, my culture is almost as pure, and unblended, as my Scotch.  ;D

DF

I'm not going to turn this into yet another immigration thread, but I couldn't leave that falsehood unchallenged.

I'll concede that "other" cultural numbers rose steadily after that, but the myth that Canada's been this big multicult mixture from day one is patently false.

So all “Europeans” have the same culture, ethnicity, language…..?

Immigrants came from accost Europe, bring their culture to this nation. We were ethnically diverse back then and we are now… the ethnic influence into our nation in more modern times is just more visible on a first glance.

Please define "Canadian Culture".

Speak for yourself, my culture is almost as pure, and unblended, as my Scotch.

Pure what? Canadian culture defines itself.

BACK ON THE TOPIC

Blindspot said:
3600 high school students from across Canada are attending the ceremonies, each one having completed a project on one of the 3600 fallen Canadians during the battle.  :salute:

Why couldn't they have done this while I was at high school instead of writing a damn essay on the tainted tuna scandal?!
I only wish we had the chance to go. I would have been honoured  :salute:  :cdn:

Flip said:
I would bet money that Micheal Ignatief would have made it.

I'm pretty sure that I did see Mr. Ignatief on the TV at Vimy.

BTW why would the Bloc need to send anyone over to Vimy, I know that soldiers from Quebec faught at Vimy but really though.
Their whole angle is not liking the rest of Canada.

nowhere_man said:
I'm pretty sure that I did see Mr. Ignatief on the TV at Vimy.

Ignatief was there, but as an academic he probably knows how to keep track of dates.

nowhere_man said:
BTW why would the Bloc need to send anyone over to Vimy, I know that soldiers from Quebec fought at Vimy but really though.
Their whole angle is not liking the rest of Canada.

The Van Doos fought at Vimy along side the soldiers from the rest of Canada.  Douceppe, who proports to respresent all people from Quebec, should have been there to honour soldiers from the very province he says he is standing up for. 

To all those that felt they couldn't attend Vimy because they weren't informed, "until it was too late to accept":

Using basic math skills, you too can predict when the 100th anniversary will occur!

April 9th 1917 + 100 years = April 9th 2017

Write it down on your calendar.

Dirt Digger said:
To all those that felt they couldn't attend Vimy because they weren't informed, "until it was too late to accept":

Using basic math skills, you too can predict when the 100th anniversary will occur!

What if you don't have a 1917 calendar?  (had to ask  ;D )

The Prime Minister of Canada was there.
In my own little messed up mind I think he was the only one required to be there representing Canada as the elected leader of the country no matter what part he is from.
Who cares if Dion and the others were not there. I don't.
I saw three wreaths laid.

One from the the Canada one from the French and one from the Queen. The rededicating Ceremony was about remembrance, and once again the opposition parties are turning it into election issues.

Does anyone know if they showed up at the GG ceremony in Ottawa?

Dirt Digger said:

You will also have to explain about Leap Years !     ;D

Drummy

Michael Baker said:
I only wish we had the chance to go. I would have been honoured  :salute:  :cdn:
+1 from me as well.

I guess the oter so called leaders don't have a clue of how to pick up the phone, several month's back and say Stphen do you have room for me. Really why wait for an invitation, take some personal intiative.

Back