• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vets 'Budman: time for national vet ID

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The veterans ombudsman is recommending that the federal government produce a national identity card for ex-soldiers and former members of the RCMP.

In a new special report, Guy Parent says an ID card would help Veterans Affairs Canada track the roughly 750,000 veterans and allow them better access to health and financial benefits.

He says it would also assist in their transition to civilian life.

The card should be renewable, allowing federal officials to maintain contact with vets to keep them informed about changes to programs and services.

Parent says the card should also be personalized and include the bearer’s eligibility for benefits.

The ombudsman is also urging the government to expand the definition of veteran to include Mounties as well as former soldiers.

Shortly after the report was released, a spokesman for Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney poured cold water on the idea.

"We thank the Ombudsman for his report and working with DND we will review its contents," said Jean-Christophe de le Rue.

"However, due to the current fiscal climate, any changes resulting in new expenditures will only be made after careful consideration."
The Canadian Press, 11 Dec 12

More from the Veterans Ombudsman's report:
(....)
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Veterans Affairs Canada has overall responsibility for Canada’s nearly 750,000 Veterans, including the provision of health treatment and financial benefits to ill and injured Veterans and assistance with their transition to civilian life.

While the Department is generally well engaged with its approximately 140,000 Veteran and still-serving clients, it is challenged to identify, establish and maintain contact with the larger group of Veterans and their families who are not its clients at the present time, but who constitute its potential client population. The ability to establish and maintain contact with Veterans has recurrently been identified by parliamentarians, the Veterans Ombudsman and Veterans alike as critical to effective intervention and care.

In addition, Canada’s Veterans currently have no tangible and nationally recognized means of identifying themselves as Veterans.

The Veterans Ombudsman has proposed the issuance of a National Veterans Identification Card to facilitate contact with Veterans by the Department and provide former members with formal recognition of their service and identification as Veterans.

A National Veterans Identification Card could replace several cards currently issued to former service members by the Canadian Forces, the RCMP and Veterans Affairs Canada, none of which identifies bearers as Veterans. Meeting the requirements of a government-issued identification document and employing modern technology, the National Veterans Identification Card could also be personalized to specify the bearer’s eligibilities to services and benefits, such as those provided by Veterans Affairs Canada and the Canadian Forces Appreciation Program.

Issuing the National Veterans Identification Card to all Veterans will take time and effort as there is no simple way of reaching out to many of them. Issuing cards to serving members at the time of their release would eliminate the need to locate them at a future time for that purpose, and halt the annual increase in the number of Veterans without a card (there are about 6,000 releases and retirements per year). In addition, the issuance of the card to releasing members would complete their transition to civilian society in a formal and meaningful way by providing them with a tangible symbol of valued membership and recognition as Veterans.

Finally, the Veterans Ombudsman also proposes that the current definition of a veteran for commemoration purposes be amended to include former members of the RCMP. RCMP members, side-by-side with their military counterparts, have historically protected Canadians at home and abroad, while often being put in harm’s way. Yet, they have never been formally recognized by the Government of Canada as Veterans.

The Veterans Ombudsman makes the following four recommendations:

RECOMMENDATION 1 – That the Minister of Veterans Affairs, in consultation with the Minister of National Defence and the Minister of Public Safety, amend the current definition of a veteran for commemoration purposes to include former members of the RCMP.

RECOMMENDATION 2 – That Veterans Affairs Canada broadly publicize and make prominent on its Web site and in appropriate publications the definition of a veteran for commemorative purposes.

RECOMMENDATION 3 – That the Minister of Veterans Affairs, in consultation with the Minister of National Defence and the Minister of Public Safety, pursue, as a priority, the development of a National Veterans Identification Card that meets the standards for a government-issued identity document.

RECOMMENDATION 4 – That Veterans Affairs Canada, in consultation with the Canadian Forces and the RCMP, pursue a strategy for the issuance of a National Veterans Identification Card to Veterans and releasing members of the Canadian Forces and the RCMP.

(....)

Ummmm!  I already have a NDI 75.  Do I really need another ID card stating I am a Veteran with time in?

But then all the Legion's associates would be eligible for one, would they not?

George Wallace said:
Ummmm!  I already have a NDI 75.  Do I really need another ID card stating I am a Veteran with time in?

NDI 75 is on for those that have served 10 years or more.

A Veteran is defined by Veteran affairs and DND as;

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/salute/fall2001/definition

New Definition of a Veteran

VAC and the Department of National Defence (DND) have extended veteran status to former Canadian Forces members and Reserve Force members who:

meet DND's military occupational classification requirements (MOC-qualified); and
    have been released from the Forces with an honourable discharge.

Veteran status recognizes the potential risk that Canadian Forces members assume by donning the uniform and pledging allegiance. Veteran status does not mean that all former members are eligible to receive VAC benefits and services. As in the past, access to VAC benefits and services will continue to be based on your eligibility status and need.
Footer

Therefore, the NDI 75 is not an indication that you are a Veteran, it indicates you served more than 10 years.

the 48th regulator said:
Therefore, the NDI 75 is not an indication that you are a Veteran, it indicates you served more than 10 years.

Excuse me!  You mean I would not be a Veteran for serving more than 10 years?  Are you not contradicting yourself?

George Wallace said:
Excuse me!  You mean I would not be a Veteran for serving more than 10 years?  Are you not contradicting yourself?

Not me, the system is. 

Just pointing that out to  you.  The VAC minister is addressing those that do not have a card, that indicates they are a Veteran.  It may be redundant to you, as you have the NDI 75 for service over 10 years, but your  buddy that got out at nine, has nothing.

That is what I am pointing out, my good friend and Jedi master.  I am jsut the messenger.....Geez you Int guys are sensitive.... :)

NDI 75 is from DND and so far has done nothing for me except take up room in my wallet.  I can't agree that this is a veteran card because it does not follow the criteria of veteran (agree with the definition or not).  Maybe the definition needs to change first then the card.  I think you can still do 35 years service in the CF without deploying (don't know how that's possible) while some are released 3B with as little as 3-5 years from injuries overseas,  one gets the NDI 75 and the latter does not,  really?

I do support the inclusion of RCMP with definition of veteran as they are supported by VAC.

Hmm

A spokesman for Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney said the department welcomes the recommendation, but due to "the current fiscal climate" no changes are imminent.
Parent's office says the card program would cost $1.5 million to set up and then $300,000 annually.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/11/vets-ombudsman-calls-for-national-id-card

Here's a thought change the issuing criteria for the NDA 75 card to something in line with the VAC definition of Veteran. Problem solved.

Oh yeah I forgot who we're dealing with here, easy inexpensive is not the D/S solution.  ::)   

Maniac mine got me 25% off a VIA ticket price 8)

Danjanou said:
Here's a thought change the issuing criteria for the NDA 75 card to something in line with the VAC definition of Veteran. Problem solved.

Oh yeah I forgot who we're dealing with here, easy inexpensive is not the D/S solution.  ::)   

The NDI 75 is a "Record of Service".  As Danjanou says, change the criteria for issuing the card, to be just that; a record of service -- no matter how long that service was.  It would eliminate maniac's collection of cards in his wallet, as well as those of many others of us. 

George Wallace said:
The NDI 75 is a "Record of Service".  As Danjanou says, change the criteria for issuing the card, to be just that; a record of service -- no matter how long that service was.  It would eliminate maniac's collection of cards in his wallet, as well as those of many others of us.
According to this bit from the Ombudsman's recommendations ....
.... Meeting the requirements of a government-issued identification document and employing modern technology, the National Veterans Identification Card could also be personalized to specify the bearer’s eligibilities to services and benefits, such as those provided by Veterans Affairs Canada and the Canadian Forces Appreciation Program ....
.... it sounds like the new card would also need some sort of chip/technology to incorporate VAC programs as well (a step closer to "swipe your card so you/we can look at your files"?).

I've already got a "Vet ID"  :nod:

VetID.jpg

:chopper:

milnews.ca said:
According to this bit from the Ombudsman's recommendations ........ it sounds like the new card would also need some sort of chip/technology to incorporate VAC programs as well (a step closer to "swipe your card so you/we can look at your files"?).

Like the S\N card they issued us all those years ago? You know, the one with the magnetic strip that was supposed to hold our data. The one that never got loaded or activated but we had to carry around with our ID card anyway?  ;)

Sorry, did that sound cynical?  ;D

Journeyman said:
I've already got a "Vet ID"  :nod:

VetID.jpg

:chopper:

And yet for some strange reason we can't get you to upgrade to this spiffy "vets" outfit
August-18-2012-Warriors-Day-Parade-30.jpg

we have cookies
https://www.girlguides.ca/GGC/Cookies/Cookie_History/GGC/Cookies/Cookie_History.aspx?hkey=b4708d8c-f8da-4c57-8ac5-d847d29ef1c4

>:D

recceguy said:
Like the S\N card they issued us all those years ago? You know, the one with the magnetic strip that was supposed to hold our data. The one that never got loaded or activated but we had to carry around with our ID card anyway?  ;)

Sorry, did that sound cynical?  ;D

You don't still carry that card?  It's in my wallet for the day I actually have to use it.

Danjanou said:
And yet for some strange reason we can't get you to upgrade to this spiffy "vets" outfit

we have cookies
While I suspect that the Girl Guides have more effective leadership than the Legion, I can't see either being in my future.  ;)

Yes, seen.

But as mentioned, the Wound Stripe/Sacrifice Medal is something I'd rather not add to my bling.  :cheers:

Insert "but not every wound that Vets have is visible" comment.

Journeyman said:
Yes, seen.

But as mentioned, the Wound Stripe/Sacrifice Medal is something I'd rather not add to my bling.  :cheers:

Hey I would trade mine for a chance to wear the vest, that you have. 

I have convinced Mama in letting me get a Chopper, just need the funds :-\

:cheers:

Back