• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans Affairs Canada - have they lost their way?

Funny thing this VA thing
I have seen the paperwork of a large number of Reg & Res personnel who have played the PTSD card & have gone past go, got a get out of jail card, collected their $$$ and have gone on their merry way....
Funny thing is that they were in places like the Golan and the Sinai - after the shooting stopped and there had been relative peace for some +/- 15 years. 

Many have parlayed a cat 5(f) release into a cat 3(b) golden handshake... cool huh?

Rifleman62... you should tell them that their attitude is driving you completely loony & right round the bend.... (I'd believe ya!)

geo said:
I have seen the paperwork of a large number of Reg & Res personnel who have played the PTSD card & have gone past go, got a get out of jail card, collected their $$$ and have gone on their merry way....
Funny thing is that they were in places like the Golan and the Sinai - after the shooting stopped and there had been relative peace for some +/- 15 years. 

Many have parlayed a cat 5(f) release into a cat 3(b) golden handshake... cool huh?

Rifleman62... you should tell them that their attitude is driving you completely loony & right round the bend.... (I'd believe ya!)

Interesting.  After these characters have played the card, how do they cope with the medication and visits to the psychiatrist and the Psychologists?  I mean, if they are taking the medication, their system must be all screwed up, wouldn't you agree?  I guess if they feel it is worth it for the golden handshake, all is well, it only screws them up further.  I would have to say that those involved in the myriad of tests, should be investigated by someone, since you have seen a large number of people playing the card.

Wonder if what the public would say about that, once the media gets a hold of this.....

dileas

tess

dileas

tess

Medications - couldn't tell you what medication they are taking
The selected segments of the DVA letters I have been provided with talk about % dissabilities of 20 to 40%.
Have had a few that managed to get DVA to give them a pension even before the CF was advised...
You communicate with these guys and they are incoherent and all over the place.  Start talking about money and..... they are soooo lucid it isn't funny.
Are they faking ? Probably not at least not to any great extent... but modern society will do that to you as well...

Well when you allude to some golden handshake, I assume you are in the know with regards to PTSD, and have made a professional assessment.  You obviously feel that your experience supercedes those of the professionals.

Quick question, do you know the myriad of tests involved with regard to people being assessed for PTSD?

dileas

tess

I had a very quick scan of one piece of info on the Veteran's Ombudsman. The establishment of the position is for personnel (Vets - all of us) who are out of the military to have access to an Ombudsman, as, upon release you can no longer access the CF Ombudsman. The Veteran's Ombudsman will not deal with appeals, claim submissions, etc. It will be interesting to see the terms of reference for the position. Lets hope that the person selected has military experience. Any ideas?  BGen(ret)  Jim  Cox?

geo said:

Geo, while the Conduct Guidelines indicate talking authoritatively on topics (seeing material, working in a particular discipline/position, etc...), they do not condone what appears to be the addition of a clear element of opinion that many of us reading your post can't help but interpret as an effort to broad-brush or stereotype PTSD sufferers.  That's not conducive to a healthy discussion of the topic.  At the end of the day, whether you personally agree with the decision or not, the Crown deemed fit to approve compensation for the people whose files you are reading.  To comment on those cases negatively without general recourse to your statements is not appropriate.

The Army.ca staff

Rifleman62 said:
Lets hope that the person selected has military experience. Any ideas?  BGen(ret)  Jim  Cox?

Jimmy Cox.......I hope not. That is the last choice I would make, although he trained the best Bn to go to war he was cruel to his troops, those who suffered under his command know. AS the Inspector Gadget he was useless....matching socks thread colours brings back sad memories of what was a great Bn.

Ah, I see Roy and the 3rd know him. Me too. Just threw the name out. Who would be a good choice? You need: military experience, been high enough in the food chain to know how it works, but not be tainted, and .... How about O"Conner? Does he fit? How about a US citizen?

I think me sounds good....ya thats the ticket. I will be calling Greg in the morning if I dont get the job then I will be sure to make Cox never get it. ;)

Rifleman62 said:
Ah, I see Roy and the 3rd know him. Me too. Just threw the name out. Who would be a good choice? You need: military experience, been high enough in the food chain to know how it works, but not be tainted, and .... How about O"Conner? Does he fit? How about a US citizen?

How 'bout MGen (Ret'd) Lew MacKenzie?

G2G & 48th
Mea culpa - to a certain extent.
I do understand what PTSD is about, I do not begrudge anyone for the pension that they have been awarded by DVA - I have absolutely no interest in meriting one for myself, under any circumstance.
Those friends I have that do suffer from PTSD, and there are several, were AND ARE wonderful people who have a long road ahead of them as they work at putting their lives back together again - thank the lord that they have the support they do have.

My post may have appeared to be broad brushed, it wasn't nor was it intended to be. 

If I offended anyone - my apologies

Chimo!

Roy Harding said:
If so - I'll make sure my socks match (precisely)  before the interview.

Add in the pressed green boxer shorts and ironed double crease in the back of your shirt. you will then do fine. ;D

For Ombudsman to the VA.

Jimmy Cox, absolutely not.

Lew MacKenzie, Definitely. Served under him in Yugo and i would follow that man to hell and back. He is a no nonsense type of leader and was great to the troops. When ever he came through the lines he wanted and expected to hear your opinions and problems and it didn't matter if you were the lowest private, he would listen and if someone had a problem, it was sorted out. Great leader.

geo said:
G2G & 48th
Mea culpa - to a certain extent.
I do understand what PTSD is about, I do not begrudge anyone for the pension that they have been awarded by DVA - I have absolutely no interest in meriting one for myself, under any circumstance.
Those friends I have that do suffer from PTSD, and there are several, were AND ARE wonderful people who have a long road ahead of them as they work at putting their lives back together again - thank the lord that they have the support they do have.

My post may have appeared to be broad brushed, it wasn't nor was it intended to be. 

If I offended anyone - my apologies

Chimo!

Geo,
no apologies necessary.
1) Medication- there is awhole spectrum of stuff they try and prescribe. You have to stay on it for three to four months before any effect is felt. If not they try something different and you wait another three to four months. Then something else and another three to four month trial. The side effects of some of the drugs are as bad as the PTSD itself. Myself and a few others I know have gotten off the drug regime and are using physical exercises( long walks up mountains, down beaches etc) but the caveat here is you have to be able to do it. Physical injuries limit this in some respect.

2) Support- yes it is getting better. Is it what it should be, not even close yet. Mostly I think be case yet again the medical professionals here are again behind the learning curve. Often what we have figured out what works for us is "not suitable" as the professionals have not finished studying and researching it to death.

3)PTSD- from the studies recently done PTSD is the new buzz word for I believe three or four different psychological conditions. In my case I am PTSD. Two years of me paying a shrink and psychologist out of my own pocket to get the testing done and some initial counselling. As for the finnical aspect you can do math, a psychologist is 120.00 per hour minimum, two to three times a week when you are in one of the valleys, times 52 weeks in a year. Add in the costs of the weekly to monthly visits to the shrink again per hour, Top it off with the costs of what chemicals he/she has decided to put you on. You can also figure in loss wages from what ever job you happen to have when you have a periodic meltdown. Most disability plans do not cover this as it is a "preexisting injury". Also you have the loss of hours worked due to the visits back to the medical professionals.

4) Testing- A battery of tests, if done in one session would take you eight to ten hours straight. Not only due they test for PTSD but they also test you in some of the symptom areas. For example depression, anxiety, the desire to kill some ignorant SOB that really deserves it. Also covered is alcoholism which is intresting as again recent studies and I mean real recent studies have shown that we are no more predisposed in this area than the general public. In addition to the alcoholism is the drug abuse(this one always kills me given all the crap they legally perscribe). Then we move on to personality testing, pain syndrome and the list goes on. Then ever so often you are back in to do the whole process all over again.

5) Most of us that have it can spot fellow suffers in a room full of people. We recognize similar traits, habits, mannerisms kinda hard to fool us. Oh yeah and the vivid dreams, flashbacks that you get from time to time make a John Carpenter movie look like a Walt Disney production. It is interesting going to into work after an interesting night at the 'movies'.

48th if I have missed anything feel free to add.

RANT OVER

ps: please excuse the spelling I am a little pissed right now

Either him or Senator Dallaire (medically released for PTSD suffered in Rwanda) another good candidate.

3rd Herd said:
Geo,
no apologies necessary.

I will second that or does that make sense for the 3rd to second the 3rds comment?
GEO.....as I am a PTSD sufferer, I know what you were getting at.

Gen Lew would be an obvious choice. As an aside he races cars with my son-in-laws brother. But, since he ran as a PC, I doubt he could be nominated without the Liberals going ballistic. Come on, who out there should get the job. In a earlier post I suggested possibly a US citizen. Who??

Back