• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Verification of Former Service (VFS) [Merged]

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
The STIRS/ESM Systems are exactly as he left them in '97 and cleaning stations may be a shorter! (not by much)

a QL-5 refresher would have sufficed!

Oh well!

The Chief at Black rock tried to get me off to the ships right away with a conditional QL3, but was denied somewhere along the chain of command.  He is a good man, no doubt about it.

They said since Seasearch was new, I needed to take the course all over again.  OK, I can live with that, new piece of gear, computer based equipment, fair enough.

Seasearch course is about 2 weeks long.  I don't want to come across as arrogant but...  my job for the past ten years was in information management software.  I actually designed some software and now I code a web application to relax myself at night.  So, software based equipment is kind of my thing.  I could have learned Seasearch in about 8 hours ... wait, I did. 8)

Like I said, I knew what I was getting myself into.  Military as not changed that much, don't you just love that.

this is navy-nesop, over

.......so every time we get a new piece of kit, you are going to have re-do your 3's or 5's

HFXCrow said:
.......so every time we get a new piece of kit, you are going to have re-do your 3's or 5's

::)

I hope you were being sarcastic, as that was one of the dumbest statements on this site.

If one is no longer in the Forces, they miss out on many of the changes that are happening.  Think back of when you went on leave and returned to ask "What's new" and everyone answers back "Nothing".  You look around and there is a 'new guy' in your section/troop/platoon/etc., or your phone number has changed, or your desk has been moved down the hall, any sort of little changes that they took for granted and you now return to find all at once.

On the other hand, any changes that are taking place while one is still Serving are usually done in a fashion where you have OJT and Conversion Courses.  Someone who is not Serving does not have that advantage.

TCBF said:
A pity you an other rank (NCM).  I have yet to hear of any officer re-entering the CF and re-doing BOTC, or Phase Trg, etc.

I agree with Army Vern.  Each case is considered based on the facts and policies in place at the time.  Policies evolve over time.  The ETP Instruction is the initial assessment and at one time was considered an "offer"... 

My story (for those who care to read on...helmets on) :warstory:

As an Reg Force Artillery Offr, I left the CF in May 89 after my obligatory service and (was silly enough to) re-enrolled in Dec 90.  While my application was being considered I was told I might have to re-do BOTC, then it was changed to perhaps Phase IV.  Once my file and my references (in one case a serving senior officer) were considered I went right back to my former status.  It was as though I went on coffee break for 18 months and returned.  Shortly after I was placed on a career course and I did pretty poorly as I had lost some of my knowledge, skills, and understanding of artillery stuff (as can be expected from even 18 months out of the flow.  Not much call for gunnery skills on civie street.).  That course result and some other issues led to me spend a total of 14 years as a Arty Capt with little hope of ever becoming a senior officer.

Fast forward (not surprisingly) When I took an Occupational Transfer out of the Artillery into HCA, I was granted a prior learning qualification for Basic Medical Field Operations and did two EOs (Medical Ethics and Customs and Traditions of the CFMS/CFDS) from the HCA course by distance education.  No additional training was required to change my status from Untrained to Trained in my new MOS. :warstory: (Helmets off)

navy-nesop said:
They said since Seasearch was new, I needed to take the course all over again.  OK, I can live with that, new piece of gear, computer based equipment, fair enough.

Seasearch course is about 2 weeks long.  I don't want to come across as arrogant but...  my job for the past ten years was in information management software.  I actually designed some software and now I code a web application to relax myself at night.  So, software based equipment is kind of my thing.  I could have learned Seasearch in about 8 hours ... wait, I did. 8)

Like I said, I knew what I was getting myself into.  Military as not changed that much, don't you just love that.

No the Military hasn't changed a lot when it comes to conducting Courses.  Don't be so arrogant in your 'youth'.  Later you will realize that "ALL" courses are designed to be instructed to the 'lowest common denominator'.  In other words, they are designed to be taught to the 'dumbest' persons on course, in a manner by which they can learn and pass the course.  Just because you are an IT genius and can learn it in eight hours, doesn't mean the System is flawed.  You aren't the dumbest person on the course, so you picked it up much faster.  You, however, are the dumbest person on course in another sense, because of your arrogance and lack of rational in reasoning as to why the Crse is structured as it is.  On a Bell Curve, you may place in the 50% range.... ;D

GW-my sarcasm is here for your enjoyment! (I can feel your blood pressure rising)

But navy-nesop my opinion (and I think I may be a little more than qualified to give it) is you got screwed in this situation but it will be over soon.

your arrogance is not unfounded based on your previous service. Good luck in your new career!

I am off to St Jean!

It all comes down to whether or not his medical condition has improved.  If not then he does not meet the common enrolment medical standards and can't be re-enroled.  Best place to start is with a visit to his local CFRC/D for a chat with the medical personnel.

I've talked to him, he said he could make the common enrolment medical standard, but due to the universality of services he is not deployable.. therefor unemployable.

I'm confused: CEMS (common enrolment medical standard) was before I retired Aug 06  (last posting was recruiting doing medicals) was V4 CV3 H2 G2 O2 A5; Your friend meets CEMS, but not universality of service? Has the standard changed for those coming in off civvie street? (not talking CT's).
If he doesn't meet universality of service at least his G & O factor would have reflected that (or it use to).

I'm confused.
How can someone NOT meet universality of service while passing the "common" medical standard.
It makes no sense.... Yeah, we can enroll you but, the minute you're in, we'll have to turf ya out...?!?!?!?  WTF

It is possible for a skilled applicant (ex-reg F) who does not meet the CEMS to be re-enroled but only if they meet their trade medical standards but this case still doesn't make sense.

Has the policy changed since he left? Because otherwise they would have never have asked him to leave. Or is it one of those they would let him back him and the original offer still stands that he stays a m/cpl for life without any possibility for promotions/deployment etc?

Does the same go if he can meet the physical req' but not the medical? He said his injury has not gotten much better (as its permanent) but it has not gotten any worse.

Dano said:
Has the policy changed since he left? Because otherwise they would have never have asked him to leave. Or is it one of those they would let him back him and the original offer still stands that he stays a m/cpl for life without any possibility for promotions/deployment etc?

Does the same go if he can meet the physical req' but not the medical? He said his injury has not gotten much better (as its permanent) but it has not gotten any worse.

Best place to start is with a visit to his local CFRC/D for a chat with the medical personnel.

Dano said:

As kincanuck said, CFRC med staff should be able to put light to his problem BUT regulations concerning "universality of service" are relatively recent and are probably "post" your friend's departure.  Where the CF would sometimes provide umpteen "accomodation" to certain people in certain trades, the new directive clearly stipulates that if a certain trade is lacking in qualified personnel, they may provide one (repeat ONE) accomodation of three years in order for the Forces to fill the position out of the personnel it has.

A recent qualification to the above "BUT"... new rules are coming down the pipe for soldiers who have been injured & maimed while in service & who would be "out" after their 3 years accomodation.  Steps are being taken to keep them in - though I have not seen any directives on how they intend to make that work.

Weird thing happen today,

I got my posting message today (HMCS Ottawa).  They addressed the message as me being an AB.  Is a message reliable in terms of information on it?  If I show up on the ship with these on my shoulder, can I get in trouble?

Yup, unless you want to be duty for the next month or "birds", I would not suggest putting them up. Once on ship then perhaps the Ships Office and the Cbt Chief will be able to sort this out for you.

Hey..I have a question, do you think it is a good idea to add a "Personal Statement" letter to a apt.
My story, I was in about 5 years ago got after my first 3 yrs. I had a med cat. but did not release medical.
Now I am ready to get back in, but they want Dr. letters and letters and letters which is fine. But should I include my own
letter,  I own my past problem and it is no longer an issue, letter?
Thanks

Back