• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

verbal judo

danny1222

Inactive
Reaction score
this question is for any RCMP members here.    have you read the book "Verbal Judo : The Gentle Art of Persuasion by George Thompson" 
ISBN 0-06-057765-7
it focuses on conflict resolution,  talking people out of fights rather than using force,  seems interesting but also a bit vague and I'm not sure i want to buy a book that is a collection of stories like this seems to be

I took a course through CLET at Depot that used "Verbal Judo", don't know if it's a trademarked thing or not.  But like noneck said it was pretty much commen snse/

I have heard of it, but have not read it... what I do hear is all good.  Along the lines of "The Five Minute Policeman".  Which is another excellent book for new members to read...

Along the lines of "The Five Minute Policeman"
Blackhorse I would like to read more about this book and maybe get it for my up and coming Mil copper.
Will you send me the author and ISN if you have it??
Thanks
Dave

I'll see what I can do... it's been a long time since I've seen the book.  It's somewhere in the basement.

I did a Google Search.  The author of The Five Minute Police Officer is Terry Barker.  As for the ISN number, I have no idea.

They used to sell it in the Canteen, though I haven't been there in years. I don't remember seeing it in the last catalogue I got from the Canteen, about a year ago.  I do remember it was the Five Minute Policeman, then it was changed to the Five Minute Police Officer!
My how times change!

I took the course when one of the Vancouver Police NCO's had one of their members who took the instructors course, run it. I think it was Joel Johnston?
Like one of the previous posts said, it was mainly common sense, though a good refresher.

Sgt Clive Milligan of the Vancouver Police departments' Force Options unit presently teaches the verbal Judo during our team training days. It's not too bad but overall it's just common sense on dealing with people.

I have the book and do ejoy it very much. As with all books of this nature most of it is common dog. having said that there are several techhniques described in the book that can be learned and applied to varying degrees of success.

A good purchase overall though.

Cheers

Slim

Back