• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Technician ( merged )

Forgive my ignorance, but I take it PRETC is in effect a 'mark time' place where recruits get sent while they're waiting for their trade courses to start?  ???

We've had the same over here in SEME - we created an Company called Soldiers Awaiting Training (SAT).  A few years back in its worse case scenario there were over 1,000 soliders in the 'Company' waiting for courses to start. I've known of some soldiers who waited over a year before they started trade training.  :eek:

Fortunately times have changed and the training process has been overhauled since then.  It's interesting to see though how much our Armies mirror each other though - our soldiers hated SAT too; days spent doing fatigues just to fill the time saw a lot of them wanting to can their career before it had even started.  :-[

British Army said:
- our soldiers hated SAT too; days spent doing fatigues just to fill the time saw a lot of them wanting to can their career before it had even started.  :-[

In the movie "The Last Detail", the USN called it, "Sh*t City".
Where I worked, on civvy street, they call/ed it "Modified Duty", for when you got injured. The boredom will drive you crazy.

Sorry to wake a dead thread, but in case my eye sight is too poor for infantry, i'm thinking of vehicle tech as a backup, do you get paid during the 30 week MOC training course? and are vehicle techs issued a rifle on operational deployments?

CAlexK said:
Sorry to wake a dead thread, but in case my eye sight is too poor for infantry, i'm thinking of vehicle tech as a backup, do you get paid during the 30 week MOC training course? and are vehicle techs issued a rifle on operational deployments?
Every one gets paid while doing training and as a general rule all personnel will be issued a rifle for operational deployments.

Now being an Infantry soldier not a veh tech I will withdraw out of this thread.

CAlexK said:
All soldiers, except the padre, deploy operationally with an issued weapon.
Some members of an EME recovery det or MRT (mobile repair team) could even be issued a pistol as well. How many shooting irons, and the type you get is determined by the job you will be doing, and in most cases, especially for desk jockeys, the rank you are.

CAlexK said:

Are you going to base your trade choice on that?  ::)

As combatbuddha said, all trades, with the exception of Padre, are issued a weapon on deployment.  If I were you, I'd concentrate more on getting in, doing BMQ and trades training and not worry about deployment.

Can anyone provide some insight as to what training is provided to vehicle technicians in the reserves? Does it require taking full courses in the summer  at a CF base with the regular forces or can you get all of your training at your local unit?

Yes, you will have to attend the Canadian Forces School of Electrical Mechanical Engineering (CFSEME) to complete your trades training. The School is in Borden, Ontario. They run special, condensed courses for the reserves in the summer, or you could be one of the fortunate ones to attend a reg force course throuout the year. Your QL4, or the equivalent of apprenticeship, will be conducted through your home unit, normally whilst attached to a reg force worshop for short durations of time if the opporunity arises.
The Vehicle tech trade is really short of presonnel. If you are able, I would suggest that you go Reg Force.

Thanks. Unfortunately, joining the regular forces is not an option for me at the moment. I'm really keen on joining as a vehicle technician but I don't think I can do summer courses due to work. I'm still learning about how the reserves system works - it seems that a lot of job options aren't feasible if you can't spare time for summer courses.

I just came across the following listing in the army individual training calendar:

RES VEH TECH QL3,4 and 5 VEH RECOVERY

It's a 4 week long course in the summer. Does anyone have any experience with this course? Can this course really cover QL3, QL4 and QL5 in such a short time?

nick_the_guy said:
I just came across the following listing in the army individual training calendar:

RES VEH TECH QL3,4 and 5 VEH RECOVERY

It's a 4 week long course in the summer. Does anyone have any experience with this course? Can this course really cover QL3, QL4 and QL5 in such a short time?

Shows them how to recover vehicles only.

will i have few question and maybe some one could help me answer them. I have thought about going in reg. force and was wondering what is the pay like when i first get in. At this time i am in college taking up automotive service and repair course that's what i want as a career but back in maybe 1997 i was in the reserves and i did not mind the people i worked with, but the cpl and the Cpl they played a game and who can be the biggest asshole, i want to know is the reg. force like that. thank you for your help if any one could answer these for more

I'm currently taking an automotive course in college which i will soon graduate from.  By the end of this year i will have completed a Motive Power program and will recieve a diploma.  I'm thinking about becoming or applying for a position as a vehicle tech in the army.  A few questions i have are ...

1.  What is the likelyhood of me being posted far from home?

2.  When I'm done in the army will my experience be transferrable into the civilian world as an automotive technician?

3.  Will I still have to complete the MOC training even though all (or what seems to be all) of the knowlege they will teach me about vehicles is what i have already learned in college?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the help. :salute: :army:

1. You will be posted where the Trade sees fit. So anywhere there are vacancies for V Techs.

2. As long as you complete the right courses you can apply for your provincial tickets based upon your experience.

3. If you bring in your credentials to the CFRC then they can assist you in applying for a Prior Learning Assesment Requirement (PLAR).

Hope this helps you out.

1. the Veh tech trade has openings everywhere but from what I've seen for postings in the trade recently, I'm sure hoping that you call Edmonton home, cause you soon will.

2. when you do your prior learning assessment, with completion of your civilian course, they'll probably offer you a "step" Ql3. What this is doing is just an express training program. Your main focus at CFSEME will be learning the military vehicles. It should take 3 month compared to the 6 that normally happens. After that your in the normal training system. **** Make sure if they offer you a signing bonus that they write it down with the canforgen as reference on it cause there is currently a signing bonus offered to semi skilled/skilled entry into Veh tech. No joking make them sign that in blood, if you dont you will probably spend the rest of your career chasing that ghost cause it will disappear****

3. As of right now in Alberta we can get a letter of reference saying that we completed the required hours and we get our provincial cert.  As for red seal, once we have the hours we can challenge the exam. When you pass they will reimburse the cost of the exam.

:cdn:  so i have searched countless threads and found nothing. i am currently in a 3 year mechanical engineering desighn program at an ontario college and i am planning on becoming a vehicle tech once my schooling is done. i am wondering if this diploma will help me to advance quicker as a vehicle tech in way possible. also id like some advice as to if i should go to university after college to complete a mechanical engineering degree so i could enroll as an electro mechanical engineering officer. how much different is an officer compared to a vehicle tech would it be mostly boring office and paper work as opposed to working on tanks and jeeps all day. any advice apreciated thanks :salute:

vtecharmy said:
how much different is an officer compared to a vehicle tech would it be mostly boring office and paper work as opposed to working on tanks and jeeps all day. any advice apreciated thanks :salute:

If you go to university and decide to become an officer, you will not be spending your days turning wrenches.

i  no that lol  what exactly would it consist off.    could anyone tell me how to link accounts for afghan operations it wont let me play thanks

Back