• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Searches at Border are Illegal - news article

Um, yeah. Not having borders or controlling who come/leaves our country is a fantastic idea. And someone from Cornwall really can't complain about pollution from cars, do you have any idea how much crap your city pours into the St. Lawrence?

You know what? Nevermind. You're right. Do away with the border, it'll make it easier for the smugglers who use Cornwall as a base of operations to run smokes and booze. They can sell their boats and just drive back and forth across the bridge.  It would save me having to hide my boat every time I fish there in the evening so I don't get SHOT!!!

Obviously the Lifeguard wasn't on duty and someone got into the gene pool by mistake.

George Wallace said:
Obviously the Lifeguard wasn't on duty and someone got into the gene pool by mistake.

See, and I was thinking that too much chlorine in the gene pool was the issue.  :p

Anyhoo, onwards...

Sheerin said:
What would the difference between a normal stream of exams and a abnormal one be?  And would moving the vehicle from one border facility to another constittue this?  Since the legislation seems vague, I'm trying to figure out at what point searches stop being covered by section 99 and move to section 111

Secret cop stuff.  Can't say.  You'll know when it happens, though.  :p

zipperhead_cop said:
Secret cop stuff.  Can't say.  You'll know when it happens, though.   :p

Thats a cheap way to get out of giving an explanation... aka a 'cop-out'...  ;D

Sheerin said:
What would the difference between a normal stream of exams and a abnormal one be?  And would moving the vehicle from one border facility to another constittue this?  Since the legislation seems vague, I'm trying to figure out at what point searches stop being covered by section 99 and move to section 111

A personal search is one such example of an "abnormal exam".  Frequently this occurs when drugs are found or sufficient indicators are found (drug paraphenalia for example) to give us reasonable grounds to conduct the personal search. That officer power is found under section 98 of the C.A.

However the person is always either detained or arrested (more often the former) prior to a personal search, as they are taken out of the nomal stream to a private room to have the search done.

A normal traveller search can involve further questioning, database checks, search of conveyances, and pocket/wallet exams.

Sheerin said:

Section 111 is for inland investigations.

For example, person A imports a car and provides bogus paperwork, which someone doesn't catch until later on.  Investigations gets a referral, and drafts a warrant to search the person's house and seize original bills of sale, the vehicle itself, etc.

The basic difference between a "normal" customs exam and an abnormal one is the point at which the traveller reasonably expects that if they try to leave they will face a criminal sanction.  In other words, they believe they are already under a form of detention.

A "detention" is not defined in the criminal code.  Normally a detention occurs when someone is not free to leave, or they believe if they try to leave they will face some sort of punitive or criminal sanction (arrest, prosecution).  The courts have held that some detentions are allowable, including RIDE spotchecks and when you are crossing the border.  A customs exam could be deemed to become a detention when there is a reasonable expectation that contraband will be found, or is being searched for.

I tend to dislike the term "indicators" because it is not descriptive of what they really are.  When "reasonable grounds" exist, an officer may search a person (sec. 98 -- no such 'reasonable grounds' restriction exists for goods), and so that would be an example of when the Charter is invoked.  If you are going to search someone, they don't have a choice, they have to submit or be in violation of the law, so therefore it is a detention. The officer must read them their rights to counsel, and additionally, offer the option of a senior officer's review.  For goods or conveyances (sec. 99), it's a bit trickier.  An officer may search or cause to be opened any goods or conveyances.  Once you start disassembling or drilling, it could be argued that it is beyond a "normal" examination.

As IrishCanuck points out, many things are considered part of a "normal" customs examination, including asking you to empty your pockets, searching your wallet or purse, interviewing you about your trip or your declaration (you are obliged to answer truthfully questions put to you if they relate to your goods, although we may ask a wide range of questions that may seem unrelated), X-raying your baggage, using an Ion Scan to detect trace amounts of drugs on your goods/conveyances, having a detection dog smell you or your goods/conveyance... all are examples of a 'non-intrusive' examination.

flair said:
:cdn:
Hello READERS and TRAVELLING TOURISTS ...
hear is a suggestion for vehicle searches...
just get RID OF THAT BORDER and use all those buildings at those entry ports for TOURIST SITES and SHOPPING MALLS / MUSEUMS and HIRE all those trained humans to STOP and ARREST Drunk Drivers etc...
it is thee 21 st century..get with thee program...those borders are just a place to waste and pollute mother earth while idling and traffic jams...ECONOMIES ON BOTH SIDES DEPEND ON HOSPITALITY AND TOURISTS...y'all come back now ya hear !!
luv from CORNWALL ontario Canada...
(great web site...thank you / merci ./ gracias !!
drive safe / conduisez prudemment tout le monde ...BUCKLE UP svp

who let the troll out??? hoop hoop hoop hoop......who let the troll out??..... :clown: :clown:

Judge Ellen Gordon has amassed quite a menu of horrible rulings in her short time as a provincial court judge in British Columbia. She was appointed in 2005. Since then she:

- Acquitted an impaired driver who was stopped by BSO's at Boundary Bay and had his vehicle searched. She ruled the search was illegal because it was simply a pretext to detain the man for impaired.

- Delayed the sentence of another impaired driver ... who killed someone ... so that the accused could spend Christmas with her family (too bad the deceased victim couldn't do the same). Her sentence was only 2 years anyway, and it was overturned on appeal.

- Tossed out a search warrant which resulted in a seizure of 600+ marihuana plants in a B.C. grow up, mainly because the police officers chose to telephone their warrant application, instead of go to the court house across the street.

- Gave out an absolute discharge (essentially the same as an acquittal, but with a finding of guilt) to a woman who poisoned a stand of trees, just so she could get a better view of Stanley Park from her $1-million condo

Court throws out acquittal of suspected drunk driver
New trial ordered because of 'bias' by judge who set accused free
  Jack Keating, The Province

SURREY - A new trial has been ordered for a suspected drunk driver who was acquitted when a Surrey Provincial Court judge ruled his rights were violated by a Canadian border guard.

The Crown appealed the acquittal in B.C. Supreme Court on the grounds that Judge Ellen Gordon's "aggressive cross- examination" of the border guard showed "bias" in the case.

"I find the trial judge was quite unfair," said Madame

Justice Catherine Bruce in her three-page written judgment ordering a new trial.

"The trial judge, in my view, created a reasonable apprehension of bias in the manner in which she cross-examined the witness in this inappropriate way."

John Peter Gorman was asked to step out of his car and open his trunk when at the Point Roberts border crossing on Nov. 20, 2004.

"[The border guard] believed that Mr. Gorman had been drinking," Gordon stated in her acquittal ruling in July 2006.

Gordon accused the guard of ordering Gorman out of the car to open his trunk not to inspect the contents, but to see if he was drunk.

Justice Bruce said Gordon "put unfair questions" to the border guard. Bruce said the "premature statement by the judge that she did not believe the evidence of the Customs Inspector," before submissions were made, showed bias on her part.

Bruce noted that Gorman did not have a lawyer representing him in court, which forced Judge Gordon to intervene on behalf of the accused.

"Where a person is unrepresented there is clearly a duty placed upon the trial judge to do all that is necessary to ensure the accused receives a fair trial . . . to ensure as part of that process that all viable defences are raised," said Bruce.

But Bruce found that the manner in which trial judge cross-examined the guard "supports a conclusion of a reasonable apprehension of bias."

Gorman's counsel argued that Gordon's questions were appropriate.

The Canada Border Service Agency is appealing another of Gordon's decisions.

Ajitpal Singh Sekhon was acquitted last July on charges of importing 50 kilograms of cocaine into Canada at the Aldergrove border.

His acquittal was on the grounds that the guards violated the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms by dismantling his trunk without first obtaining a search warrant.

Someone needs to give this judge a wack upside the head to realign the marbles......

I thought that is what the gavel was for...

I think we should be careful about using the words "wacking, judges" in the same sentence. someone with no sense of humour could take that seriously.

Methinks the Judge had a snootfull of nastyjuice before rendering her jugements.
Thank god for the Appeals court judge who brought a little bit of reality to this nonsense

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I think we should be careful about using the words "wacking, judges" in the same sentence. someone with no sense of humour could take that seriously.

If someone did, could we tell them to move to Cornwall?  ;D

Okay, that's a bad one.  I'll get my coat...

IN HOC SIGNO said:

Get over it. The context it was said in and the vision implied has nothing to do with your PC crap!!!

recceguy said:
Wacking judges. Is that anything like wack-a-mole?

I like that vision....a bunch of gophers with judge's robes popping up..... ;D

I'll be the first in line for that carnival game.  However, it could be tough to play.  There will probably be at least nine other games scheduled at the same time, and there is nothing saying that you're game will be first.  As for the play-ees, they will only pop up between 10 to 10:15 am (unless the had something else to do, and got a clerk to put a nice PostIt note on the door), then take a half hour break at 11:30, break for lunch at 1:00 pm, come back at 2:30 pm then decide there isn't enough time to have a decent game with the remaining time, and put over all of the rest of the games to another date six months in the future.  Then when six months rolls around, another one decides that the time it took to get the game going was "unreasonable" and cancells your game altogether. 
What fun!  :p

I think you are holding something in......

Heh, no worse than the Texas appeals court judge ...
Judge ordered the court clerk to close shop at 5PM even though the judge knew that a death row last minute appeal WAS coming down the pipes but that the lawyer's office was having computer problems and had asked for a 15 min extension... Death by lethal injection was carried out on time.

geo said:
Heh, no worse than the Texas appeals court judge ...
Judge ordered the court clerk to close shop at 5PM even though the judge knew that a death row last minute appeal WAS coming down the pipes but that the lawyer's office was having computer problems and had asked for a 15 min extension... Death by lethal injection was carried out on time.

guess the lawyer should have got his paper work in a little sooner eh?

Back