• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vandals hit Fan Fest military displays

whiskey601 said:
Actually, in London there is an even chance this act was committed by anti-war or similar issue orientated protesters and not "kids" per se. We have a very serious problem in this city with a growing group of radical and irresponsible 20-40 year olds who have no respect for the history of the country and the views of others, the property of others and especially historical sites. The main Cenotaph has been similarly vandalized in recent years, especially after 9/11.

This may very well be the case, it's no large secret that there is a organized group of left wing extremists, who operate in 31 CBG AOR.  These people have caused problems for 31 CBG units in the past, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have some involvement with this.  The worst part about these people, are they are University educated, and in most cases have minors and majors in Poli Sci.  You would think that they of all people would understand why a military is of vital importance to the nation.

I would bet it was "kids" as well and I'm only 18. This generation has very little respect and knowledge of this country's history and acheivements. Here is what I hear most kids say, Pierre Trudeau is the greatest PM because he nailed some hot chicks. Thats about their grasp of Canada, and the education system only really praises Trudeau from what I've learned while being in school. I even remember our school had pretty well a full year of mourning for Pierre Trudeau as well, hell I was in grade 8 at the time, and I told everybody that I thought he was a bastard. Most of the history about Canada that I've learnt, has come from my own time, always thought this country had a rich history, and would be more then proud to defend this country as well.

Dare said:
I would put money on the purpetrators fitting well within the realm of being defined as "kids". A persons ardency towards (true) anti-war positions does not equate to a predisposition for immature and illegal acts. Lack of experience, knowledge and wisdom equates to a predisposition to immature and illegal acts. I'm afraid that "kids" fits quite well in that generalized catagory. These individuals must take responsibility for their actions, rather than letting us blame others for their poor choices. Once caught, I'm sure many would like them to "pay dearly", but we also have to remember that we want them to learn the meaning of what they have done in it's true essence. A severe punishment would likely reverse any lesson they might learn. Given it was latex paint, it's probable that at least some thought went into making sure it was not a permanent. I think the judge should order them to spend a day or two with some veterans, pay for the cost of cleaning and let it be.

I might be way off base here but , if you are old enough to know the difference between latex and oil paint , you are most defiantly old enough to know right from wrong ...................IE you are an adult . Back when I thought paint was paint was paint I broke into a camp (with a friend) and trashed the place , I wasn't protesting anything ,and  not crying out for help, just said (*&^ it lets have some fun . When dear old Dad got to the bottom of things , he didn't send me to a therapist , he handled things in a more hands on way , for more than a few years after that everytime I saw that Camp I peed in my pants and forgot who I was for a few hours . BUT I never even thought about a life of crime after that . My point is  sometimes kids just need a kick in the ass from their father ..............if hes not to busy .......HMMMM maybe thats the problem here .

Marty said:
I might be way off base here but , if you are old enough to know the difference between latex and oil paint , you are most defiantly old enough to know right from wrong ...................IE you are an adult . Back when I thought paint was paint was paint I broke into a camp (with a friend) and trashed the place , I wasn't protesting anything ,and  not crying out for help, just said (*&^ it lets have some fun . When dear old Dad got to the bottom of things , he didn't send me to a therapist , he handled things in a more hands on way , for more than a few years after that everytime I saw that Camp I peed in my pants and forgot who I was for a few hours . BUT I never even thought about a life of crime after that . My point is  sometimes kids just need a kick in the *** from their father ..............if hes not to busy .......HMMMM maybe thats the problem here .
I'm sure they know right from wrong too, they just believe that our wrong is their right. Which is why I suggest some exposure to the people whom would be offended the most by what they have done so they can have a better understanding of the sacrifices these people made for them. If you want to play right into their current belief stream, well why don't we just cane them publicly then.. I'm sure that's what our veterens faught for..

The best solution is a turn around with motivation, rather than a break by force. Show them the dots they don't see yet, and let them make the connections.

Im only 16, but id never ever vandalize anything... Thats just common respect... Im an applicant for the reserves, and i guerentee that the people in my school who do that stuff ( and i do know a few of them) will be all for peace until theres someone pointing a gun at their head. And then and only then are they gonna have respect for the people who put their lives in danger EVERY DAY to keep them safe... Its descusting if you ask me...

Dare said:
I'm sure they know right from wrong too, they just believe that our wrong is their right. Which is why I suggest some exposure to the people whom would be offended the most by what they have done so they can have a better understanding of the sacrifices these people made for them. If you want to play right into their current belief stream, well why don't we just cane them publicly then.. I'm sure that's what our veterens faught for..

The best solution is a turn around with motivation, rather than a break by force. Show them the dots they don't see yet, and let them make the connections.

I always thought that our veterans fought to rid the world of a tyrant . I think a few public canings would go a long ways to fixing some of these "troubled little souls" , where do I sign up .

Countries like Singapore and Taiwan have had remarkable success in "altering the thought patterns" of the common petty thug with canings, labour camps and heavy fines for the parents of such perpetrators. Strangely enough, IT WORKED.

I think the motivation Dare speaks of comes in the form of a big stick, to be applied vigorously to the backside of these punks.

Marty said:
I always thought that our veterans fought to rid the world of a tyrant . I think a few public canings would go a long ways to fixing some of these "troubled little souls" , where do I sign up .
Oh, the irony.

Dare said:
If you want to play right into their current belief stream, well why don't we just cane them publicly then.. I'm sure that's what our veterens faught for..

Oh, the irony.

The problem is many things, education, TV, internet,etc. Kids see, anti military demostaitions and think is cool. When my oildest was in UofW. After some students found out that I was in the military, she had some say I was a baby killer, a Nazi,etc, not a clue what I did. She even had one PROF. say damn things. Well she don't take 5hit. He and others got it good. I even wrote a letter to the U. This guy, so called educated, not a F###ing clue.
But on the other side, some thatthought it was cool, and said she should be proud of what we do. I believe CANAIAN History should be taught in school. It pisses me off what my kids are taught, D### American history, who gives a sweet jack S### who Andrew Jackson is. One of my daughters had to do a essay on a US pres.. Well she didn't, I made her do it on King. The teacher phoned and asked why. I told her, we are Canadians and that is what she should be learning. The teacher agreed but , the board wants some US history also. She got a B+ on it.
Yes maybe some over laping history, War 1812.
Well thats my 2 cents. And yes, those who did it should be on TV, getting a good kick in the A55.

When I went to highschool it was all Canadian history. why has this changed?

It hasnt changed. Im in grade 10 going into grade 11... and all we study is ancient, canadian, african canadian, and world history. And that mainly has to do with WWI and WWII

Hunter911 said:
It hasnt changed. Im in grade 10 going into grade 11... and all we study is ancient, canadian, african canadian, and world history. And that mainly has to do with WWI and WWII

It depends on what Province you live in.   Each Province sets it's own curriculum. (You should use Spell Check to correct some of your errors in writing.   ::) )

Haha yeah sorry thats my fault. Trying to do 3 things at once.

Those are actually courses not the curriculum that I'm talking about. Ancient in gr 10, African Canadian and Canadian in gr 11, and World His in gr 12

As I said, it depends on what Province you live in - not what Grade you are in.  I graduated Grade 12 in Saskatchewan with Senior Matriculation.  You would have to have gone to Grade 13 in Ontario to get the same.  My sister went from Grade 11, Saskatchewan, (Junior Matric) to First Year University in PEI.  She did not get a High School Deploma, but went directly into University in PEI with her Saskatchewan Grades.

You may learn Early Canadian History about the Fur Trade and Early Explorers in Grade 10 in one Province, while you would learn that in Grade 9 in another.  Some Provinces would teach more about Economics and Politics in History classes, while others will teach of Major Events and Social Change.  Some may cover Treaties, while others will not.  Some may put more emphasis on World History than Canadian.  Some deal in depth with British History and European History.  Others deal in depth with American History, the American Revolution and Civil War.

There is not one Standard for the whole country.

Back