• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vandal defaces fallen firefighters memorial in Toronto

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Vandalism of memorial to fallen firefighters 'despicable'
SUSAN KRASHINSKY

May 14, 2008

So many Ontario firefighters have died in the line of duty that space is running out on their memorial at Queen's Park. Yesterday, a vandal's paint left even less room for commemoration, defacing the granite slabs that carry the names of fallen firefighters.

At 8:57 p.m. Monday, a man splattered dark blue paint on one slab, police said. He defaced the others with red spray paint that read, "Liberal lackeys," "Dalton gang," "firemen 4 McGinty" and "guns bad."

Surveying the damage yesterday, Brian George of the Ontario Professional Fire Fighters Association called the incident "disturbing."

"Right now we have more firefighters dying," he said, citing the impact of cancers and other occupational diseases. "Through skin absorption, inhalation, the types of atmospheres we go into ... it's attacking firefighters from the inside out."

The monument holds 344 names, with 50 more waiting to be added, which will fill up the remaining space.

Firefighters have supported Premier Dalton McGuinty for a reason, Mr. George said. In 2007, his government passed a bill to recognize cancer and heart injuries under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act. It now presumes such illnesses are work-related for firefighters.

"When most guys fall, they fall silently," said firefighter Graham Voss at his station. "We supported McGuinty because he supported us."

So far, police do not know who defaced the monument, or why. "I just don't understand the reasoning," Ontario Provincial Police Staff Sergeant Barry Rutledge said.

In a statement, Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory said it was "a cowardly act that dishonours our very best and bravest."

Mr. McGuinty described the vandalism as "cowardly and despicable."

"We conceptualized this memorial as a public space because they're valuable to the community," said James DesRoches, head of the company that built the monument.

No stain on firefighters

Re "Memorial defaced in 'despicable' act" (May 14): On learning that some BONEHEAD (I could use other words but they are a little inappropriate), had defaced the firefighters' memorial, my first reaction was disgust. I was thinking wouldn't it be ironic if the vandal had a fire at his/her house and had to call the fire department -- then the firefighters could get sweet justice. But, on second thought, I realized that even if there was a fire at this bonehead's house, the firefighters would indeed do their job and put out the fire. That is how they are and how they operate -- with integrity, gusto, and honour. That is who they are and this bonehead won't take that away. Thank you to all the heroes who have laid down their lives in the line of duty. And as the wife a of a Canadian soldier, who also risks his life for the greater good, I appreciate the risks, even if there are a few boneheads in the bunch.

Robin L.

(Well said. Anyone who defaces a monument honouring those who have given their lives in the service of others is human slime)

This is a letter I wrote to the editor of the Toronto Sun yesterday, and it was in today's (May 15'08) paper.  Was very surprised to see it.

You know, although I don't support it, I can see why some people have mixed feelings about our profession (Military) and deface monuments set for us, wither we like it or not we DO have a controversial job. But an attack at firefighters? whose goal is too save homes and lives? Some people really are ignorant. Although unlikely, I hope the vandal gets what he deserves.

Back