• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Van attack in Toronto [Merged]

I had my interview scheduled at CFRC Toronto yesterday. It was rescheduled due to a scheduling conflict about two weeks ago by the RC. The time frame and location ( Yonge and Sheppard), not to be mention the weather that day had me thinking. Probably would have finished before noon, gone to get a bite to eat, enjoy the weather by going for a walk,etc. My thoughts have been very much with those killed, injured, the witnesses and families affected by this tragedy.

I've been thinking of it too. I was stationed at 12 Canterbury Place, North York ( basically Ground Zero for that call ) on a Mass Casualty Incident ( MCI ) bus.

Just shy of 37 years on the department - 29 of them on the bus- but, thankfully, never sent to a job like that.

My thoughts are with the victims, and those who tried to help.

Haggis said:
I, too, was on the range today with my agency and this was discussed in detail.  There's a deep split among all the internet's armchair tactical experts chiming in to dissect a minute worth of grainy cell phone video. Some want the officer fired for lack of judgement in that he didn't shoot.  Others want him decorated.

Despite that he would've likely been quickly vindicated had he fired, he didn't.  He had the best view of the situation. Civilians walked out from behind the van during the incident, completely oblivious to the events unfolding.  Hence, he likely, at least for a time, had a "dirty background".  And it's obvious those people came from within the building behind the suspect, a building with a glass front that only the officer could see clearly.

Those of us that teach this type of stuff for a living believe that he made the right call under terrifyingly difficult circumstances.

So very true.  The officer was presented with a difficult tactical situation that required split second evaluation, judgement and correct action.  Thankfully the closest l came to this experience was the FATS. 

Things could have gone south very quickly without his professionalism.  I'm hoping and sure his PER will reflect this  day.

jollyjacktar said:
So very true.  The officer was presented with a difficult tactical situation that required split second evaluation, judgement and correct action.  Thankfully the closest l came to this experience was the FATS. 

Things could have gone south very quickly without his professionalism.  I'm hoping and sure his PER will reflect this  day.

I would guess and hope that he’ll meet the Governor General in a year or two’s time.

Brihard said:
I would guess and hope that he’ll meet the Governor General in a year or two’s time.

He might get a medal from the Feds, the Province and the City. Trifecta!

Brihard said:

Maybe an ambassadorship to Ireland ?  :whistle: ;D 8)

Too soon ? lol

Primus said:
Great points on that post. I see the Toronto attacks as terrorism as well, as he had an agenda to punish people for his shortcomings .
I agreed on everything but this though. What was the motive to call Vegas shooting terrorism?

To me the only difference is he kept his grievance to himself and we'll never know what it was. There must have been something that caused him to mass murder and whatever it was, like the others, it didn't justify the carnage. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these incidents are all just about somebody "going postal" because of their own individual pathology in the media-saturated world we now live in, whatever external, political, religious, racial "justification" is used as a frame for the act.

Pencil Tech said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that these incidents are all just about somebody "going postal" because of their own individual pathology in the media-saturated world we now live in, whatever external, political, religious, racial "justification" is used as a frame for the act.

"The USPS does not approve of the term "going postal" and has made attempts to stop people from using the saying. Some postal workers, however, feel it has earned its place."
Vick, Karl, "Violence at work tied to loss of esteem", St. Petersburg Times, Dec 17, 1993

The Simpsons,

Bart and Lisa visit the post office and Nelson asks:
Nelson: Have you ever gone on a killing spree?
Postmaster Bill: (laughing) Ho ho ho, nooo noo, the day of the gun toting disgruntled postman shooting up the place went out with the Macarena.
Principal Skinner: I'm just glad I work in an elementary school.
https://comb.io/eRPqgK

mariomike said:
"The USPS does not approve of the term "going postal" and has made attempts to stop people from using the saying. Some postal workers, however, feel it has earned its place."
Vick, Karl, "Violence at work tied to loss of esteem", St. Petersburg Times, Dec 17, 1993

The Simpsons,

Bart and Lisa visit the post office and Nelson asks:
Nelson: Have you ever gone on a killing spree?
Postmaster Bill: (laughing) Ho ho ho, nooo noo, the day of the gun toting disgruntled postman shooting up the place went out with the Macarena.
Principal Skinner: I'm just glad I work in an elementary school.
https://comb.io/eRPqgK

:rofl: :goodpost:

Halifax Tar said:
Maybe an ambassadorship to Ireland ?  :whistle: ;D 8)

Too soon ? lol

I was sort of just thinking about that (case)

If I'm not mistaken the police officer that actually killed the shooter in that case suffered some mental illness from stuff stemming from the shooting.

I'd guess that in some cases pushing people into the spotlight for doing their job, justified as the shooting is, can have detrimental effects.

This guy was in my sister platoon, never sat at his platoons table at meal times was always bouncing around different groups. Thought he was pretty weird creepy dude. Can't believe this garbage made it in at one point.

Edited for spelling and to add that I am referring to the driver.

Jarnhamar said:
I was sort of just thinking about that (case)

If I'm not mistaken the police officer that actually killed the shooter in that case suffered some mental illness from stuff stemming from the shooting.

I'd guess that in some cases pushing people into the spotlight for doing their job, justified as the shooting is, can have detrimental effects.

I think that it had a lot to do with him not being recognised for what he did.  He wasn't at all in the spotlight.  in fact I think the issue was that he couldn't get the help he needed because no one recognised that he was the actual shooting officer.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadas-loneliest-hero-why-youve-never-heard-of-this-rcmp-officer-who-shot-the-parliament-hill-gunman

Remius said:
I think that it had a lot to do with him not being recognised for what he did.  He wasn't at all in the spotlight.  in fact I think the issue was that he couldn't get the help he needed because no one recognised that he was the actual shooting officer.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadas-loneliest-hero-why-youve-never-heard-of-this-rcmp-officer-who-shot-the-parliament-hill-gunman

Great dude. Former sapper, actually. I met him last year at a mental health event and he told his story. It’s not mine to repeat, suffice to say there were serious shortcomings in identifying the involved responders and getting them promptly out of the scene.

Blake C. said:
This guy was in my sister platoon, never sat at his platoons table at meal times was always bouncing around different groups. Thought he was pretty wierd creepy dude. Can't believe this garbage made it in at one point.

You are referring to the alleged driver, yes?  The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.

Haggis said:
The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.

For that discussion,

"Why you’ve never heard of this RCMP officer who shot Parliament Hill gunman"
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124411.0

Haggis said:
You are referring to the alleged driver, yes?  The post immediately above your referred to an RCMP officer.
Yes, sorry I should have clarified. I was referring to the driver.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

"Number cited in cryptic Facebook post matches Alek Minassian’s military ID: Source"

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/04/25/number-cited-in-cryptic-facebook-post-matches-alek-minassians-military-id-source.html

We could give her some useful information, like the fact that it was apparent to recruits that he should not have been there, and he had the presence of mind to ask to be released.  And we all know the first 3-4 weeks of Basic are a pretty intense period. So here is a guy that pulls back under stress, withdraws, keeps to himself, cannot focus enough to perform elementary personal housekeeping duties. Obviously not a fit, but many Canadians aren't. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be you could not wash out of basic except for serious injury, threat to the safety of self or others, or nervous shock.  As for using his serial number, we'll that's the identity the machine gives you at day one. You never forget it. I think the guy is a lunatic killer, that doesn't mean the CAF had anything to do with his problems.

Back