• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Spending/Downsizing (merged)

Coming (back) to Sydney by November - from the info-machine:
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, joined Veterans and their families in Sydney, Nova Scotia, today to announce that the previously closed Veterans Affairs Canada office will reopen in November 2016.

The new Sydney office will be located at 1st floor, 70 Crescent Street, Sydney NS, and once opened, will employ approximately 15 staff who will serve approximately 2,200 Veterans. Staff at the Sydney office will answer questions about VAC services and benefits; arrange pension medical examinations; and, assist Veterans to complete and submit applications and receipts. Case-managed Veterans will also be able to meet with their case manager ...
Stand by for an announcement in Charlottetown tomorrow ...

Et voilà:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-veterans-affairs-1.3698462

Good news for the Island and vets in PEI (my father being one of those vets).  Was PEI the only province with not even 1 office prior to this?

We had a district office, IIRC, on the ground floor of the Jean Canfield Building (when it opened). When it closed as per the previous government's intent, it was no more - clients were directed to the Service Canada office (in the same building).

With the uproar following the closures, a small service office was opened in the Daniel J. Building, but I personally didn't see it as as functional (one staff member, not clearly indicated where in the building, etc.) as the previous district office.

Hehr said 10 front-line staffers will be hired to provide services.

Now, just my  :2c:, but I think ten staffers is a little more than required. The previous office had five, I believe, so I expect a reduction down the road, or a reassignment/additional duties.

I am interested to see if the intent is for ten completely new pers to be hired, or if it will be staffed internally through a competitive process, or a mix of some form.

IIRC, they said the wanted a max caseload per Case Manager of 15-20 vets. If so, it would be smart to start with that many Case managers. It shouldn't be based on how many Vets, now, have open claims/ rehab/ etc, but on the amount of Vets that the centre may have to deal with in the near future. Smaller caseload = better client service.

I can see a mix. Some older CM to help guide the new. The process will likely take lateral/ promotion transfers into account and then new hires. Just shuffling vested CMs will not fix the client service problems. New blood is required.

blackberet17 said:
.....I think ten staffers is a little more than required.
One of the problems identified in a JCSP review (and possibly applicable to VAC), is that the numbers are only part of the equation;  there was also a serious quality issue.  Many were simply not trained adequately for the job, and soon became overwhelmed, burnt-out, and quit.

Are these VAC staffers provided with the competencies needed to provide the necessary service?  :dunno:

Journeyman said:
One of the problems identified in a JCSP review (and possibly applicable to VAC), is that the numbers are only part of the equation;  there was also a serious quality issue.  Many were simply not trained adequately for the job, and soon became overwhelmed, burnt-out, and quit.

Are these VAC staffers provided with the competencies needed to provide the necessary service?  :dunno:

Pretty hard to issue competence. It's not like a morale patch or something, but your point is well-taken. What kind of qualifications and experience are required, and how easy is it to recruit people that fit the job description?

Hey, I'm just here to point out problems.... you know, to benefit those who think everything has a simple solution. 

I'd hate to waste all this negativity by ignoring multiple factors, second- and third-order effects.....  ;D

recceguy said:
I can see a mix. Some older CM to help guide the new. The process will likely take lateral/ promotion transfers into account and then new hires. Just shuffling vested CMs will not fix the client service problems. New blood is required.
I know several who used to work in the Thunder Bay office who moved laterally to other fed PS jobs when it closed that would be aching to go back, especially if the promises of "better staff:client ratios" is fulfilled, so you'd likely get SOME continuity there to mix with the newest blood.

Back