• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Return to Lifetime Pensions Discussion

CanadianTire said:
I got in to the site this morning, and saw an amount under current benefits and payment history. No letter or anything in my inbox. After an hour of trying, I'm back into the site, still no letter, the amount has been removed completely and I get this message: We're updating the current benefits to reflect any changes as a result of Pension for Life introduced on 1 April. Please check back again soon.

The letter won't be in your inbox. It's on the main page scroll down to the blue area click on it and it's in there.

Teager said:
The letter won't be in your inbox. It's on the main page scroll down to the blue area click on it and it's in there.

I didn't see it there either, but that said I can't get into the site again so it might be there now.

Still no pension for life info for me on MyVAC. I called and they said they should have the calculations done sometime this month or next month. So much for everything being ready for 1 Apr. This is brutal, but somehow not surprising given VAC's track record.

66 bucks a month. At least I can get a bottle of good whiskey with it.

dvfisher said:
Still no pension for life info for me on MyVAC. I called and they said they should have the calculations done sometime this month or next month. So much for everything being ready for 1 Apr. This is brutal, but somehow not surprising given VAC's track record.

Did anyone here honestly expect they would be on time? :rofl: I think we all expressed doubt when they said it would start on time.

That being said, when it starts it'll be a nice bonus to the monthly pension. Mine will fill both vehicles with gas for the month.

Got my official letter. At $22/mth, I get about six cases of beer a year. Or a dozen mickeys. Do we still use that liquor measurement?  :rofl:

$22 bucks a month? Wow, I basically spent your entire yearly PFL at the weed store today...

$12.69 per month. It just means your award was low and your age factor.

Rifleman62 said:
$12.69 per month. It just means your award was low and your age factor.

The older the higher then. I'm 65 @ $22.00  :rofl:

I really can't get angry at this. Even if I tried. The whole thing is so farcical, it's hilarious.  8)

Thucydides said:
While it is nice that they are reconsidering, I just received my letter on the recalculation of my claim and the ongoing payment I could receive. I can anticipate between $30 and $50/month.

At least I'll be able to afford Timmies.... ;)

Turns out to be $28/month. I'm glad I didn't "ask for more than we can afford to give".

So, literally not enough per month to even afford dollar drink days at McD's...

:facepalm:

There are people who are getting good sums monthly, it's not all $20/month...

For sure, I'm aware of that. However, I think the option should have been there to cash the value out, even if it were reduced.

Someone that is 50 years old getting $30.00 a month would get around 10-11k if they live to age 80. It's not huge money in the scheme of things, but you can do a lot more with 10k than you can with 30 bucks a month spread out...

I understand it is calculated based on age and award amount. However, if this PFL stuff was ever truly about helping veterans, the additional amount would be eligible to cash out just as the new disability awards will be.

:2c:

Yeah fair enough, it would save the government money too as they wouldn't have to administer so many transactions per month...

Maybe it's somewhere in this thread, but did they say how it was going to be paid out?  Direct deposit?  Monthly cheque?

???

Moe, I got my letter on Friday and it did not state how I will receive it.  All it said is that there is no action on my part.

211RadOp said:
Moe, I got my letter on Friday and it did not state how I will receive it.  All it said is that there is no action on my part.

Yeah, I got mine too. The letter stated payable starting April 2019. 

PMedMoe said:
Yeah, I got mine too. The letter stated payable starting April 2019.

Direct deposit on the 29th of April. If you have Myvac Account you can see the dates for deposit. If you don't have direct deposit set up with VAC I believe they send you a cheque.

Teager said:
Direct deposit on the 29th of April. If you have Myvac Account you can see the dates for deposit. If you don't have direct deposit set up with VAC I believe they send you a cheque.

When I go to Current benefits and payment history, it shows my monthly amount with this statement: "Current monthly benefit values should be part of payment scheduled for May 30, 2019."

WTF happened to April??

Did you check under "Payment History"? Apparently on whatever planet VAC comes from, 29 April 2019 is already historical.

Hope that helps Moe.

Back