• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Return to Lifetime Pensions Discussion

Rifleman62 said:
The Liberals campaigned in 2015 for changes to the Act. How's that doing for you?

Yes, do vote Liberal: Trudeau: "The Budget Will Balance Itself"

This isn't a political debate about how the Liberals are "better" then the Conservatives. People vote based on their priorities (in theory at least). There are tons of priorities you could have that would make voting Conservative a smart vote. But wanting more generous benefits for vets is not one of them.

If cutting taxes is your main priority, of course votings CP is the smart vote. Ditto if getting big pipeline projects approved is your main priority, or increased military spending, or cutting government spending etc etc. I can't tell you what to prioritize. But I CAN tell you if WHAT you prioritize is more vet benefits, then voting CP is a vote against what you actually want.

I don't care what's happening at VA.

My benefits come from VAC.

Trudeau isn't going to do anything between now and Oct. Start working on your MP now. Get them to state a plank you can hold them to.

At this point, there's not a lot of sense worrying or bitching. Work on the ones you think will win in October. Elicit promises from them and hold them to it.

Trudeau is done dealing with us and will only spout platitudes and lies. If you're told you're getting $25, you're getting $25. No lump sum, no nothing else. Work on the future and buy a case of beer every couple of months.

Arguing the same thing over and over isn't accomplishing anything. It doesn't matter who is responsible for the NVC. That's in the past. Move forward.

doomed_78 said:
So basically we are stuck with getting $25 monthly payments with no lump sum option? Is this set in stone?  It barely covers my banking fees....

Fishbone Jones said:
If you're told you're getting $25, you're getting $25.

"A Veteran can choose to receive the [Pain and Suffering Compensation] as monthly payments for the remainder of his or her life, or to cash the monthly amount out for a lump sum payment."

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/GCWeb/pdf/Factsheets/PSC-2017.pdf

blackberet17 said:
"A Veteran can choose to receive the [Pain and Suffering Compensation] as monthly payments for the remainder of his or her life, or to cash the monthly amount out for a lump sum payment."

Yes and they changed their tune when they realised, oh, $hit, EVERYONE would want the lump sum.
If the member or Veteran changes his or her mind in the
future and wishes to stop receiving a monthly payment,
he or she may instead receive the balance of the PSC in
a lump sum payment.

Now we have the "Architect" in charge of the portfolio....GREAT.....

upandatom said:
Yes and they changed their tune when they realised, oh, $hit, EVERYONE would want the lump sum.
If the member or Veteran changes his or her mind in the
future and wishes to stop receiving a monthly payment,
he or she may instead receive the balance of the PSC in
a lump sum payment.

Now we have the "Architect" in charge of the portfolio....GREAT.....

Define "EVERYONE". Your circumstances may be different from mine, so a monthly works for me. Or maybe it doesn't. That's not "EVERYONE".

No tune has changed.

As for the "Architect" comment, Fishbone Jones had some advice which might fit that bit.

I would say you are right with the situational,
I do believe majority would take the Lump sum though

*edited, gooder grammar

blackberet17 said:

I believe this is in reference to those that already received lump sum. What you refer to above is new claims going forward.

Teager said:
I believe this is in reference to those that already received lump sum. What you refer to above is new claims going forward.

Yeah. But it’s also been pointed out that their is already a lawsuit being prepared because it creates a third tier and  they are keeping 1 ssystem going, while incorporating that system into the new one without giving the same options.

upandatom said:
Yeah. But it’s also been pointed out that their is already a lawsuit being prepared because it creates a third tier and  they are keeping 1 ssystem going, while incorporating that system into the new one without giving the same options.

Not sure what grounds they feel they would have for a lawsuit. Equitas already tried that, denied at provincial court of appeal level, and denied leave to appeal to the SCC. The courts pretty clearly left it in the government’s hands to craft benefits policy for veterans.

While it is nice that they are reconsidering, I just received my letter on the recalculation of my claim and the ongoing payment I could receive. I can anticipate between $30 and $50/month.

At least I'll be able to afford Timmies.... ;)

Okay now I'm confused...did something change? Are they allowing us to choose a lump sum payment now?

doomed_78 said:
Okay now I'm confused...did something change? Are they allowing us to choose a lump sum payment now?

People who have already received a Disability Award under the New Veterans Charter, or who receive one prior to April, have always had the option of taking the lump sum, or of spreading the same amount over a chosen amount of time. Those people - recipients of an NVC DA - are also now potentialyl receiving a small monthly amount to make up for what they would have gotten in addition under the new Pension For Life. You cannot convert this to a lump sum. Your $20 or $50 or $200 a month in addition to your DA stays monthly.

People who are assessed and granted disability benefits under the Veterans Well Being Act after April 1st will receive the Pension For Life- in its default form it's a monthly amount til you die, *but* a formula exists to allow you to take it as a lump sum instead all at once and waive the option of receiving further monthly payments ever again. Some people will find this suits their financial needs better.

I hope that clears up any confusion. There has NOT been a change to the small monthly amount that pre- April DA recipients may get.

Some of the new policies are up on VACs site.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies

THe page is live, and decision letters are loaded. Got my notice.

All my active claims all have PSC in the name now. Does anyone know what that means?

Edit: Answered my own question. It stands for Pain and Suffering Compensation.

site is now "down for maintenance" again.... Got to apply for APSC before it crashed though. It was super easy and took all of five minutes to hit a few buttons. Really like how they are streamlining the application process for benefits now.

I got in to the site this morning, and saw an amount under current benefits and payment history. No letter or anything in my inbox. After an hour of trying, I'm back into the site, still no letter, the amount has been removed completely and I get this message: We're updating the current benefits to reflect any changes as a result of Pension for Life introduced on 1 April. Please check back again soon.

Back