• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC in the News

Surprisingly they've allowed comments too.  Usually they won't for stories that are taking the present government to task.

Are the contracts awarded for OSI clinics public?  If not why? If so, where would I be able to locate?

Simian Turner said:
Too bad the front line staff help more people apply but do nothing to alleviate the horrendous delays in getting the actual work done.  As a retired Major HCA with 29 years of service, I found out through the recruitment process I wasn't deemed qualified to be one of these front line staff.  Heaven forbid they hire competent, knowledgeable staff to show compassion to those entering claims in the bureaucratic system.

I recently went through the front line person and her supervisor to find out why one of my claims had gone from completed to stage 3. The front line person's first answer was the canned "Stage 3 means that you file has been sent for adjudication...." answer. When I replied that it had been at stage 3 for 3 months and was completed 2 weeks ago, she said "I guess it went to stage 4." WTF stage 4? So I went to the supervisor. The supervisor had no ability to see a) when it went to stage 3 b) any sort of timeline as to the movement of my file or c) why a file could be complete and then not complete. The only information they appeared to have was the exact same information I could see on MYVAC. To her credit, she followed up and called me back to explain that my file had adjudicated and "complete" then was sent for final review (stage 4?) where they discovered an error and had to resend it for another adjudication. Both of them received a substantial piece of my mind even though they had no ability to change anything (yet another problem) because quite frankly they were the only ones I could give it too. I hope they passed in on in same manner they received it.

I think every city/ regional office should have to hire 20 Veterans and the big places where we process. Winnipeg and Moncton?? Have to hire 100 each. Temporary 6 month contracts with option to stay on if the program flies. Every board, tribunal, adjudication, blah, blah, consists of an odd number with the weight going to Veterans members. Trade specialized military that know the difference in what their pain tells them and some shit bird  that try to match your explanation with a book definition. Hit all the boxes, your a winner. Tell them you hurt all over for the years spent in a steel box. Freezing, roasting, body in a constant, vibration heavy , loud shit that civies can't relate to. No matter how many books they consult.

Sorry all. Got ramblin' and wanderin'😶

Simian Turner 

Re: VAC in the News « Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 15:36:54 »

No joke, actual rejection:

Dear candidate:

We regret to inform you that you have been eliminated from the
above-mentioned appointment process, as you did not obtain the required
pass mark on one or more essential qualifications.

External advertised processes do not have a requirement to provide
further detailed information regarding a candidate’s elimination from
consideration, therefore no further information or communication will be
provided.

Thank you for your interest in this appointment process.

Yours sincerely,

Human Resources, Veterans Affairs Canada

There is probably a measure for prior CAF service. If candidate has prior service a weighted average deduction is applied.

You could try an ATI for the format for VAC appointments and or your application. It would be interesting to see the generic VAC format.

Did you write your MP?

Don't feel too bad about being disqualified. I applied to literally 30-40 competitions before getting in. Just recently, I got disqualified from a competition just like you for not "fulfilling" essential criteria. Funny thing is, I'm in two other separate pools for exactly the same type of position. Sometimes it's just whoever is reading your application cannot properly match your cv to the essential criteria and sometimes they just have someone they want to hire in mind already and it's all a show to be "transparent".

Odd.  You'd think that a reduction from 3400 to 2800 (+/-) would have been commented on. 

However, note that the data source is the pay system.  In other words, the data is from Phoenix.  So immediately I am suspicious of the '16 and '17 data.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/veterans-fredericton-pension-changes-1.4544528

Seamus O'Regan in FrederictonVeterans take to microphone to express pension anxiety to federal minister - 21 Feb 18
Minister of Veterans Affairs Seamus O'Regan holds town hall meeting in Fredericton

Veterans in Fredericton got a first-hand look Tuesday night at Canada's proposed new "pension for life" during a town hall meeting hosted by Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O'Regan and deputy minister Walt Natynczyk. About 70 people sat through a presentation on the benefits plan for wounded veterans before the floor was opened up for questions.

"We didn't get answers," says Robert Read, who was medically released from the military in 2016. (Surprise, surprise)"I was expecting some more solid, a more solid foundation of answers from that." Robert Read is concerned about wait times for veterans once they are released from the military.

The government's plan to overhaul the pension system has sparked controversy across the country between veterans and government since it was announced in December 2017.  Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had promised during his election campaign that wounded veterans would be able to get a lifelong pension as an alternative to the lump-sum payments introduced in 2006.

Under the pension for life, veterans have to wait until April 1, 2019, when they can choose between taking the lump sum and a lifelong pension they say would be much less substantial than the one available before 2006.

Veterans showed their frustrations at the microphone for both the lump-sum system and the pension option.

"There's a lot of people suffering, waiting, anxious," said Danny Legace, who is concerned about the wait times for veterans once they've been released from service."Why are we waiting and playing this silly game?"

O'Regan says the pension for life created by the government is a product of discussions with veterans.

Frank Smith thanked the minister for holding the town hall but felt he was pitching information without details."There's no real action plan," Smith said. "This is one of the causes for anxiety."

O'Regan described the night as frank but said similar conversations helped build the groundwork for the pension overhaul. "Pension for life was born from listening to veterans."

"O'Regan says the pension for life created by the government is a product of discussions with veterans."

Which veterans are they talking too? Not one person I have talked to thinks this an acceptable "return to lifetime pensions". And why is no one talking about the fact they deduct your earned pension and income from the 90% ELB?  If a soldier retires at 20 years and gets a new job making any where near what he made in the CAF,  he comes out significantly ahead of a soldier who is released medically at 20 years and can't work. Does that seem right? How about how it encourages fraud and/or not work the amount they are able. Say Cpl. Blogging can work 15 hours a week. Why would he work 15 hours a week and have that money deducted from his ELB when he can do nothing and get paid the same?

several of us attended the events in Fredericton and Oromocto.....It seems like they took the same pig and used a different colour of lipstick on it...and gave it a new name.  We were not particularly impressed.... :facepalm:

I don't think O'Reagan intends to come off sounding naïve or crash.  I think he and many other politicians/Ministers rely on their staff and read what the speaking notes say. They could know better but they see themselves as spokespeople and not accountable individuals.

Sounds like more Public Service people will be hired. As of March 31, 2016, there were 2,272 full-time employees (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/veterans-affairs-canada-still-understaffed-despite-liberal-pledge/article33543594/ ) now 3200??

https://globalnews.ca/news/4057111/trudeau-assist-disabled-veterans-federal-budget/

Trudeau government promising $42M to assist thousands of disabled veterans - CP - 1 Mar 18

The Trudeau government is promising a fresh infusion of cash to help Veterans Affairs Canada deal with a growing backlog of applications for services from thousands of wounded warriors. The new money, included in this week’s federal budget, amounts to $42 million over two years and is specifically earmarked to speed up the delivery of services to disabled veterans.

The injection of additional funds follows revelations that Veterans Affairs Canada had a backlog of 29,000 applications for disability benefits at the end of November – a nearly 50 per cent increase over the previous eight months. But the government won’t say exactly how the money will be used or why the increase has been limited to two years, given that demand for the department’s services is expected to continue growing for the foreseeable future.

The union representing Veterans Affairs workers says the money will help fix some of the problems, but that much more is needed to both undo years of Conservative-era cuts and to address future demand.The Union of Veterans Employees says the department remains short hundreds of workers compared to before those cuts, and staff will face even more pressure when the Liberals’ new disability pension-for-life measure comes into force next year.

Interesting comments: Veterans Affairs Canada Employee Reviews  https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Veterans-Affairs-Canada/reviews

No word on funding for gravestones for those who die waiting on VAC.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-budget-promises-money-for-45-000-military-graves-in-need-of-repair-1.3822950

Federal budget promises money for 45,000 military graves in need of repair - 28 Feb 18

Extract: The Canadian Press reported last year that an internal report by Veterans Affairs Canada had identified a lack of money as the reason why more than 45,000 military graves across the country -- or nearly one in four -- were in need of repairs. The report said that at current funding levels, it would take 17 years to complete all the outstanding repairs, which include cleaning, restoring and replacing headstones.

But the federal budget aims to address the problem in five years by quadrupling the amount of money earmarked to maintain the 207,000 military graves in Canada -- $5 million a year, up from $1.2 million.

Veterans Affairs had previously been receiving about $5 million per year to maintain military graves in Canada, but that amount was slashed in 2003 because the department couldn't say at the time which graves needed work. The new funding largely applies to the graves of those veterans buried in Canada, including those killed in Afghanistan and on peacekeeping missions.

I wonder if Veterans will have first kick at applying for those jobs?

Or will it once again be primarily recent graduates of some Degree granting institution who have NO real life experience, let alone dealing with the needs of others in an efficient and compassionate manner?  Business graduates with only book learning and no actual experience, financial, managerial, etc.?

Veterans Ombudsman Hosts Facebook Live "Q&A with VAC on New Benefits" Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 6:00 PM ET

OTTAWA, March 7, 2018 /CNW/ - Canada's Veterans Ombudsman Guy Parent will host a Facebook Live Q&A with Veterans Affairs Canada on new Veterans' benefits on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. EST.

"I've been listening to you, and I know you have questions, as I do", said Mr. Parent. "I want to ensure that the recently announced changes to the New Veterans Charter, under the umbrella of "Pension for Life," are fair for all Veterans and their families."  During the event you can post your questions to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOmbudsman/

Since the introduction of the New Veterans Charter in 2006, seven new benefits and 11 enhancements have been implemented, resulting in potentially greater support, but also additional complexity and confusion. "To help us understand the recent changes and answer questions on how they will impact Veterans and their families, I have invited Senior Veterans Affairs Canada subject-matter experts, Ms. Faith McIntyre, Director General, Policy and Research Division, and Mr. Paul Thomson, Director General, Service Delivery Modernization, to join us and answer our questions.

"So, join me live on Facebook Live on March 13. Let's ensure that all of Veterans' benefits are:

Adequate to support the needs of Veterans.
Sufficient to meet the needs of Veterans and their families.
Quickly and easily accessible to Veterans and family members."

Also note:

21 Mar 18  Town Hall in Winnipeg
- Hosted by Canada's Veterans Ombudsman

Wednesday, March 21 at 6:30 PM
Clarion Hotel and Suites Winnipeg
1445 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 3P4

All Veterans, RCMP, Military, their families and interested parties are invited! On March 20th and 21st, 2018, my team and I will be in Winnipeg!

I’m hosting a town hall on March 21st at 6:30 PM, and you’ll be able to book a 20-minute consultation with an Intervention Officer from my team to discuss your file on March 20th and 21st.

Appointments for 20-minute consultations are available between 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM on March 20th, and between 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM on March 21st. Book your consultation before March 15th, 2018, by emailing us at communication@ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca. Let us know if you’re preferred time and we will confirm an appointment for you.

It’s first come, first served, so book your appointment today. See you soon!

PS. If it is the Intervention Officer locally based in Wpg she is SUPERB.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-seamus-oregan-draws-from-his-own-personal-struggles-as-veterans/

Seamus O’Regan draws from his own personal struggles as Veterans Affairs Minister - 17 Apr 18

Seamus O’Regan grew up by the 5 Wing Goose Bay airbase in Newfoundland, has a brother in the navy, and a great-granduncle who fought and died at Beaumont Hamel in France during the First World War. Those were reasons Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gave when he named Mr. O’Regan, a good friend of 16 years, as Minister of Veterans Affairs last summer.

But there was something else, too: an ability to empathize with those who served, as they return to civilian life. “The other thing he knew too was, having just gone through a period of depression and anxiety, that I would be sensitive to transition. Because I did not transition well,” Mr. O’Regan said in a recent interview. “To be kind of left on my own to figure things out, it broke me.”

Mr. O’Regan, a boyish-looking 47, left CTV’s Canada AM morning show in 2011 to pursue other opportunities. He went to New York, got an agent, even auditioned for 60 Minutes. But the work never came. “You don’t make the cut. You aim high … but there wasn’t much of a soft landing,” Mr. O’Regan said.

After a decade of structure, he didn’t know how to handle the change. He started drinking too much to cope. “I thrived on chaos at one point. I loved it. I don’t any more, I definitely don’t,” Mr. O’Regan said. He ended up running for the Liberals in the 2015 election. A few months after winning his St. John’s-area seat, Mr. O’Regan entered a rehabilitation facility for alcoholism, at the urging of family and friends including the Prime Minister. “ ‘You’re not running 100 per cent,’ ” he said Mr. Trudeau told him. “ ‘And I need you 100 per cent.’ ” Sitting with a Diet Coke on the table of his office beside Parliament Hill, Mr. O’Regan, looking relaxed in a grey tailored vest, said he hasn’t relapsed since completing his 40-day treatment in early 2016.

Now, Mr. O’Regan said he draws on his own personal struggles to relate to the 130,000 or so clients of Veterans Affairs, who are returning to a life they may not recognize. “I am just so grateful for this job and for this work,” Mr. O’Regan said. “As daunting as it is, it has purpose.”

But many outspoken veterans feel they’re not being heard – and that the Liberal government is failing to deliver on its pledge of better services. “There’s been a lot of deception, disappointment and a very clear failure to follow through on a campaign promise,” said Sean Bruyea, a veterans’ advocate. During the election campaign, Mr. Trudeau said the government would cover the cost of four years of postsecondary education for veterans. But it turns out that it will only be available to veterans who served after April, 2006, and those with less than six years of service will not qualify. Mr. O’Regan blames the New Veterans Charter, which came into effect in 2006, for the cutoff – a timeline Mr. Bruyea describes as “arbitrary.”

Mr. O’Regan also defends the government’s coming “pensions for life” plan, which is set to take effect next April. The plan includes a tax-free monthly pension payment, and a top-up for pain and suffering. The government is also amalgamating six pre-existing benefits for veterans, whose service-related health problems make it difficult to find work, into one taxable income-replacement benefit. Veterans groups say the lifetime pensions will pay much less than what was offered under the old Pension Act to military personnel who retired before 2006.

As part of the government’s pitch, Mr. O’Regan has been attending town halls across the country with veterans and their families. “I have work to do. I’m out there. I believe in this,” he said. Mr. O’Regan may also be facing an investigation by the federal ethics commissioner for failing to disclose as a gift his December, 2016, trip to the Aga Khan’s private island in the Bahamas. In a statement, Mr. O’Regan said he received a request from the ethics office for information for a preliminary review, and will co-operate fully. He called the trip a “personal vacation” and said he reported it to the commissioner’s office when he returned.

In an interview, Mr. O’Regan brushed off concerns about the trip. “He came, he went, he came back … that’s it.” Mr. O’Regan took the trip with the Prime Minister and his family, along with restaurateur Steve Doussis, whom Mr. O’Regan married eight years ago. He said that before he met his husband, he struggled with his sexuality “more than I knew.” “I realized in my time in therapy, that all of those years of hiding it or coming to terms with it, had also built up with me,” he said. “I was relieved to meet him, and then realize, right, it’s okay.”

Mr. O’Regan said he’s often approached by people who are experiencing anxiety and depression in their own lives. “My advice to them is, it doesn’t always have to be catastrophic. You’re not broken. It’s a bump and you’ll get through it.”

Back