• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VA hospital kept a "secret list" of veterans awaiting care.

bridges

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
This article, including the story of one veteran who died of cancer while in a seven-month queue (he was supposed to see a doctor within a week), can speak for itself - but here are a few arresting snippets.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/health/veterans-dying-health-care-delays/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

At least 40 U.S. veterans died waiting for appointments at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care system, many of whom were placed on a secret waiting list.

There's an "official" list that's shared with officials in Washington and shows the VA has been providing timely appointments, which Foote calls a sham list. And then there's the real list that's hidden from outsiders, where wait times can last more than a year.

"The scheme was deliberately put in place to avoid the VA's own internal rules," said Foote in Phoenix. "They developed the secret waiting list," said Foote, a respected local physician.

The VA requires its hospitals to provide care to patients in a timely manner, typically within 14 to 30 days, Foote said.

According to Foote, the elaborate scheme in Phoenix involved shredding evidence to hide the long list of veterans waiting for appointments and care. Officials at the VA, Foote says, instructed their staff to not actually make doctor's appointments for veterans within the computer system.

Instead, Foote says, when a veteran comes in seeking an appointment, "they enter information into the computer and do a screen capture hard copy printout. They then do not save what was put into the computer so there's no record that you were ever here," he said.

Foote estimates right now the number of veterans waiting on the "secret list" to see a primary care physician is somewhere between 1,400 and 1,600.

Doctor: It's a 'frustrated' staff

"I feel very sorry for the people who work at the Phoenix VA," said Foote. "They're all frustrated. They're all upset. They all wish they could leave 'cause they know what they're doing is wrong.

"But they have families, they have mortgages and if they speak out or say anything to anybody about it, they will be fired and they know that."

Foote adds that when veterans waiting on the secret list die, they are simply removed.

"They could just remove you from that list, and there's no record that you ever came to the VA and presented for care. ... It's pretty sad."

Foote said that the number of dead veterans who died waiting for care is at least 40.

"That's correct. The number's actually higher. ... I would say that 40, there's more than that that I know of, but 40's probably a good number."

If there is merit to this, the only question I can ask is why? What is the incentive to do this?

Secondly if true, I hope the decision makers, and those who let it continue and did nothing to stop this get some serious karmic retribution.  In this life or the next.

Good point, re. reason(s) why.  Edited to include a reference to their reporting requirements. 

Hatchet Man said:
If there is merit to this, the only question I can ask is why? What is the incentive to do this?
One guess:  allows senior VA officials and politicians to say "our records show we're taking first-rate care of our vets" while not having to pump more money or whatever is required into the system to fix it.

Hatchet Man said:
Secondly if true, I hope the decision makers, and those who let it continue and did nothing to stop this get some serious karmic retribution.  In this life or the next.
+10000

Back