• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UVIC threads on Recruiting, Protests & Students against War

Liars? I wish they would come up with some founded proof to that claim

I have met some unfounded truths lately too, more specifically people going around telling people that oh they dont have to fully train you they ship you out to war as soon as your basic is done.....  what a load of BS that is

I sent an email to the CBC radio site for the program which (basically) stated:

"How dare these people call anyone in the Canadian military (an honourable career) a liar!
The opponents to military recruitment in high schools and universities need to get educated about what out military actually does and stop spouting half-truths and unbased facts."

My objection was to the odious comparison of the military to prostitutes. I take personal offence to that bit and I complained to "Sounds Like Canada," the CBC Ombudsman and the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

E.R. Campbell said:
My objection was to the odious comparison of the military to prostitutes. I take personal offence to that bit and I complained to "Sounds Like Canada," the CBC Ombudsman and the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

Yes, that one impressed me as well.  :mad:  I also liked the comment near the end where the guy said he'd like to get rid of the military completely.  I thought, "Next time there's an ice storm or a flood, don't call us."  Then I recalled the old saying "I don't agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it."  :-\

Yes lets disband the military, and then when Kim Jong II has gone completely raving mad (not that he already isnt, but.. ) and then decides to become this century's major facist dictator we will let that F-Bag defend the countries freedom.

I would LOVE to have someone call me aliar to my face, while I am IN uniform and performing recruiting duties. I have yet to meet a civi that did not walk away with achange of heart after talking to me. If they didn't I have at least put a doubt in their mind about their beliefs... Boo ya.

Nothing you could say would have mattered to these two opponents. (Where the heck do they find these nut bars?)
The female guest seemed to think that all high school students were stupid in that they wouldn't realize what they were getting into by signing up for the military.  Her opinion was that if you go to war, you may get killed but even if you do come back alive you will have some kind of injury.  One of the guys here wondered if she'd ever walked some streets in Toronto.  At least in the military you can defend yourself.  ;)  Then she implied that the military was targeting people who were suicidal.....yeah, that's just what we need..... ::)
The male guest was worse, he seemed to think that the military just wants to give you a gun and get you to shoot people.

>"For me, exercising my democratic right and freedom of speech is about taking actions to actually stop things from happening," student Jennifer King said.

So everything turned out democratically; a bunch of people stopped a thing (the ban on a recruiting presence in the UVIC SUB) from happening.

PMedMoe said:
Listening to Sounds Like Canada on CBC radio right now.  The opponents on military recruitment in schools just called the recruiters liars.  These people need to look in a mirror.   :mad:

Many CBC stories in all their media (radio/television/websites) have such an obvious bias that I no longer look to them for any factual information, rather I am examining the stories in the sense of examining enemy "PSYOPS". Recent stories about Canadian arms exports (suggesting there was something sinister about private companies not releasing their trade and financial secrets) or the CBC reporter saying the current battle against the Taliban north of Kandahar city openly states they are in contact on the edge of the city; even though the contact is 25 + Km away. The fact the reporter is always reporting from inside KAF is pretty signifigent (hey CBC lurkers; a lot of us have been to KAF and know pretty much where inside the base she is reporting from, and also about how long it would take for her to actually go to the battlegfield and, you know, report on what is happening). I am sure lots of other readers have their own favorite examples.

A little follow up. The UVSS meeting minutes were updated since this whole fiasco started
If you are bored; get off on reading about protocol; or genuinely want to read this stuff you can check it out here

http://www.uvss.uvic.ca/index.php?page=meeting-minutes

for the 24 Sept 07 ;
17 Oct 07 meetings.

That's a good read.  Its extremely satisfying to see self-important board members stewing in their own sweat after verbally high-fiving each other at their prior meeting.  The discussion clearly outlined that the 'anti-war' proponents had little in the way of facts other than their own opinions.  The board members were also well-skewered by the comments about support to political groups on campus when it was pointed out their blindness in failing to acknowledge that if they really object to the CF overseas they should be confronting the federal government. 

As to post-incident ramifications, a lot of current board members are going to asked about their international beliefs come next election time...

PMedMoe said:
Her opinion was that if you go to war, you may get killed but even if you do come back alive you will have some kind of injury. 

whoa are you telling me that by joining the Army I may be put in harms way!!!!!!! no body told me that when I was recruited or made me sign anything stating that I was aware of possible danger to my person. :crybaby:
But seriously I dont think most canadians agree with the opinions of these said persons. I just received my job offer today and I am fully aware of what the military entails as a career especially as a Combat Engineer and no one lied to me during the process.

I think the following puts a fairly good slant on the mindset of the majority of students.....

A young woman was about to finish her first year of University.  Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Federal liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favour of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed.  Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harboured an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.  The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.  He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew.  She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by.  All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA.  She is so popular on campus; University for her is a blast.  She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0.  That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea.  How would that be fair?  I've worked really hard for my grades!  I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree.  She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Conservative Party."

Rodahn said:
I think the following puts a fairly good slant on the mindset of the majority of students.....

A young woman was about to finish her first year of University.  Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Federal liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favour of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed.  Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harboured an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.  The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.  He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew.  She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by.  All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA.  She is so popular on campus; University for her is a blast.  She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0.  That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea.  How would that be fair?  I've worked really hard for my grades!  I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree.  She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Conservative Party."

That actually made me chuckle :)

Back