• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USAF Nurse Comforts Wounded Canadian Soldier

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
This is from Michael Yon and I hope it wont violate PERSEC of the Canadian soldiers in the image.Its quite powerful.The nurse in the photo is
Major "Lucy" Lehker and this is what she wrote Yon.

As the Critical Care Air Transport Team Nurse in the picture, it is truly my honor to transport these brave men and women here in theater! This brave young man was sedated but arousing, I was telling him who I was, where he was, what injuries he had and where we were going. He calmed right down. He was our teams 70th critical care patient since being here in theater, truly I have been blessed many times over this deployment.

God Bless,

Major "Lucy" Lehker,
February 15, 2010

canadian-patient-american-nurse_1000.jpg

A crew from the United States Air Force spent Saturday night and Sunday morning airlifting different groups of wounded soldiers from Kandahar to Camp Bastion to Bagram, back to Kandahar, then back to Bagram, and back to Kandahar. These patients were from Afghanistan, Australia, Canada, and the United States. Here, an Air Force nurse caresses the head of a wounded, unconscious Canadian soldier while whispering into his ear.

An unfortunate incident but a great photo nonetheless.

Many thanks to 'Lucy' and her team for their tireless and outstanding work.

T-6, if you personally know please pass on our gratitude.

Articles and pictures like this and the story of the Canadian and US troops helping wounded and sick Afghans need to be brought forward. There 's lots of negatives being reported and too few positive articles.
Bless you Major. If anyone knows how to get this to Major Lucy Lehker, please pass on our gratitude.
There must be dust in here, allergies are kicking in.

VP

Mid Aged Silverback said:
There must be dust in here, allergies are kicking in.
I was thinking the same thing.  That or sand got in my eyes...

(Great photo, T6!)

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/20378

What a touching human interest story (Boy! Dust in here too!).

Some Canadian make US bashing a bit of sport, but for those of us in the know, who else would we rather have by our side in a fight?

And they sure know how to care for their people and allies.

Thanks again Major, and the USA.

No better friend ...

Oldgateboatdriver said:
What a touching human interest story (Boy! Dust in here too!).

Some Canadian make US bashing a bit of sport, but for those of us in the know, who else would we rather have by our side in a fight?

And they sure know how to care for their people and allies.

Thanks again Major, and the USA.

No better friend ...

Who else with us in a fight? USA at the top of my list, that's for sure.

Even though she ison active service Major Lehker personifies the US Veteran's Administration motto which in part reads:

to care for him who shall have borne the battle

God Bless !!

A bit more detail from the wounded soldier's parents - he's back in Canada recovering - via Michael Yon's blog:
    Dear Michael Yon,

Today we were sent your story of February 14, 2010. The “unknown” Canadian is our son Danny.  He is a 23-year-old soldier from Vancouver, Canada.

Your photographs were extraordinary and have impacted so many people here in Canada. There has been an outpouring of affection for the Americans who helped Danny in his moment of need.  For that, we thank you for recording these acts of kindness into history.
    Danny's injuries were the result of an explosion on February 12, 2010. Four Canadian soldiers were injured and tragically one Canadian soldier was killed.  Within 20 minutes of the explosion, Danny was airlifted by helicopter to Kandahar.  Upon arrival he received emergency surgery that saved his life and prepared him for the flight to Bagram that you were on.

After landing in Bagram, Danny was again airlifted by a US transport aircraft to the US Army run Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.  There he underwent additional surgery that closed up his wounds.  Once stabilized, the Canadian government dispatched a Challenger jet to bring him home. This afternoon in Vancouver, the shrapnel that did all the damage to him was finally removed.  Danny is now recovering in hospital.

This was Danny's second tour of duty in Afghanistan and his platoon on this tour has had heavy causalities and injuries.  Physically, Danny will overcome his injuries. He also has the support of his family, his friends and his community to deal with the emotional side of this war.  Our hearts go out to those families who have had the loss of a soldier or who have had to deal with greater injuries.

Danny and his whole family are very grateful, and are actually overwhelmed, by the support he received while in US care. The Canadian military have also been wonderful.  It is our intention to personally thank everyone who worked so hard to save Danny's life. We have already made contact with Major Deborah "Lucy" Lehker to thank her.

Sincerely,

Jim & Holly

Great finishing touch to the story. I'll bet Major Lehker will cherish that "thank you" from the family for a very long time.

Latest on the wounded, from a local paper:
(....)

South Surrey’s Dan Scott knew the potential for injury was part of the deal when he volunteered to go to Afghanistan.

In his first tour of duty, in 2008, he came away unscathed.

Drawn to return in a more humanitarian role, the Elgin Park Secondary alumnus went back last September, this time as a member of the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team, to provide security for crews working to rebuild the war-ravaged country.

His family wasn’t happy he was going back, but they took comfort in the belief that, away from the front line, he would be safer.

When they got the call, around 1 p.m. Feb. 12, Scott had been in surgery for more than two hours.

Damage was extensive, caused by the claymore mine pellet that had ripped through his flak jacket when the mine malfunctioned during a training exercise. He lost a kidney and his spleen, as well as part of his pancreas.

But Scott was lucky. He survived. Cpl. Joshua Caleb Baker, of Edmonton, was killed in the blast. (link to Army.ca condolence thread) Three more were also wounded.

Friday, from his bed at Vancouver General Hospital, Scott described the explosion as “a freak accident.”

“It’ll happen,” he said, his voice still raspy from the ordeal.

(....)

Great video on the same theme.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1407952648?bctid=1664436922

May be dumb to ask, but would anyone know the name of the soldier?  The troop looks alot like someone I was in Basic, Battle school and "E" Bty 2 RCHA from 97-00.  Could it be possible to get a PM if anyone knows please.  Thanks!

jumper0888 said:
May be dumb to ask, but would anyone know the name of the soldier?  The troop looks alot like someone I was in Basic, Battle school and "E" Bty 2 RCHA from 97-00.  Could it be possible to get a PM if anyone knows please.  Thanks!
A few posts up has this:
South Surrey’s Dan Scott knew the potential for injury was part of the deal when he volunteered to go to Afghanistan.

Back