• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US vs OPEC "Oil War" (trade war)?

Keystone is not one pipeline, but a series of interconnected pipelines, so bit by bit the infrastructure will be in place awaiting the final bit that goes across the border and triggers the regulatory requirements being discussed.

Jeez whatever happened to Peak Oil.  Betcha there is about to be a downturn in the finances of a bunch of "Canadian" eco-groups.

Colin P said:
Keystone is not one pipeline, but a series of interconnected pipelines, so bit by bit the infrastructure will be in place awaiting the final bit that goes across the border and triggers the regulatory requirements being discussed.

And that will be the most expensive section of pipe ever fabricated and installed. :nod:

Lightguns said:
Jeez whatever happened to Peak Oil.  Betcha there is about to be a downturn in the finances of a bunch of "Canadian" eco-groups.

peak oil is just so 20th century.

Reuters

Oil falls sharply as U.S. crude inventories rise

By Claire Milhench

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil prices tumbled on Thursday after another big weekly build in U.S. crude inventories and a possible rise in Saudi output stoked worries about oversupply.

U.S. crude stocks rose by 14.3 million barrels last week, data from industry group the American Petroleum Institute (API) showed after Wednesday's settlement, compared with analysts' expectations for an increase of 3.2 million barrels.

If U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) data due at 1600 GMT confirms the large build, it would be the biggest weekly addition in barrels since such data became available in 1982.

(...SNIPPED)

Supply might be rising, but it isn't stopping the pumps being jacked up here as I am sure is happening everywhere...  :mad:

That is because gasoline is priced in USD. As the Canadian Dollar falls, the price of gasoline rises.

TANSTAAFL.

oh really!  Then why was it that when the dollar was on its way up the price of fuel wasn't on its way down, even a little bit?  Reminds me of global warming.  If you get snow its gw if you don't get snow its gw.

YZT580 said:
oh really!  Then why was it that when the dollar was on its way up the price of fuel wasn't on its way down, even a little bit?  Reminds me of global warming.  If you get snow its gw if you don't get snow its gw.

Because the price of crude was also on its way up.

SeaKingTacco said:
Because the price of crude was also on its way up.

That's what they want you to think. :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Still cheaper to buy gas in the US, even with the exchange rate.  BC taxes in the lower mainland are killer.

- This thread should be joined with the "...World Without Oil..." thread so we can watch a bunch of people eat crow. :)

- This was coming for awhile. The Saudis understand that if the Iranians had one little bundle of E=MC2, they would sooner use it on Riyadh than Tel Aviv.

- Exploration side of the patch is fragile at the moments. Large construction projects past the point of no return are still being worked on.

- The big players see opportunity here. A lot of small and aggressive firms may have been caught between two bases. Some good assets will be on the block, and some good talent as well.

- Nobody likes a slowdown, but... if you had a plan, you can keep your workers and pick up some good people freshly cast adrift. On the other hand, losing workers during a downturn means you might never see them come back. They find a more reliable go, or go back to school, or retire early, or have a kid, etc. etc.

- We need Canadian pipelines to Canadian refineries at tidewater. Dartmouth is slowing down and would be viable if modified for heavy oil.
- Keystone is not our friend. We should refine it where we mine it and export only our surpluses. Probably twenty years too late for that now.

TCBF said:
- We need Canadian pipelines to Canadian refineries at tidewater. Dartmouth is slowing down and would be viable if modified for heavy oil.

No, sorry.  IOL Dartmouth is not viable.  It was looked at by the company as could they, should they and it was decided not to attempt as the facility is too old to make an upgrade worth the time or money.  It is a shame that Ultramar sold and shipped off their refinery just under 20 years ago.

SeaKingTacco said:
Dartmouth refinery is shut, last time I looked.

I have not been by there since they ceased refining, I guess what they have left is in storage.  I don't know what they plan to do after the tanks are empty. 

My understanding is that ESSO will continue to use Dartmouth as a storage and distribution point, after the refinery is dismantled and (probably) sold into the third world, somewhere.

That makes sense.  I suppose they'll get a few bucks for the refinery.

Here in Vancouver, Chevron shut it's refinery down on a 6 week planned shutdown forcing more of the local demand to be bought from further afield. This is the biggest refinery in BC. Also the US strikes is effecting supplies of refined products as well.

Robert0288 said:
Still cheaper to buy gas in the US, even with the exchange rate.  BC taxes in the lower mainland are killer.

One of the reasons, and may be the main reason, gas is cheaper in the U.S. is because they pay less taxes at the fuel pump. Here in Ontario, 30 % of the pump price is taxes (HST, provincial and federal fuel taxes). I'm willing to bet its the same its the same in the rest of Canada; except maybe Alberta which doesn't have a provincial sales tax.

Retired AF Guy said:
One of the reasons, and may be the main reason, gas is cheaper in the U.S. is because they pay less taxes at the fuel pump. Here in Ontario, 30 % of the pump price is taxes (HST, provincial and federal fuel taxes). I'm willing to bet its the same its the same in the rest of Canada; except maybe Alberta which doesn't have a provincial sales tax.

Oil prices are lower, and refiners margins are much smaller as well. Although taxes are a big part of the price difference, overall costs are lower as well.

Currently here just outside DC we are paying $2.25 US / USGal. It actually got below $2.00 US at one point earlier this year (2015).

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Can_Tax_Info.aspx

Canada Fuel Taxes by Province

Please note the above rates are meant as only guidelines of pump taxes and may not represent the full tax amount at the pump. Source: Compiled by GasBuddy from various sources.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Tax_Info.aspx

Total US Fuel Taxes by State

Back