• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US vs Canada

SeaKingTacco said:
I don't see that the normal limits of decency apply to this Presidency...
they better send back Sidney Crosby as well.

Longer term predictions:

Trudeau and the Liberals campaign against Donald Trump in 2019, and use a declining Canadian economy to paint the picture. Liberals are reelected.

2020, Donald Trump is elected to a second term in office, continuing to pursue his "America First" agenda.

2024, Donald Trump leaves office. Canada holds federal election. With our economy tanked, and no apparent end in site, the Liberals lose.

2028. Donald Trump is a unique phenomena, so the new Administration begins to roll back some of the Trump agenda, being careful to preserve the legislation that keeps America's economic engine running (I'm thinking af a transition similar to passing the baton from Ronald Reagan to George H.W. Bush). The unwinding over the first term of the Administration does not substantively relax trade restrictions on Canada or the rest of the world. Canada's new government struggles with the long term effects of a prolonged downturn, but has little leverage with the new Administration to change things quickly.

Broad brush outline, but I think it is close to what we will see over the next decade. The Liberals trying to insert gender equality and so on in NAFTA negotiations suggests they were unserious about the entire process (or had very poor briefing notes about America's aims and goals), and their reactions are about as effective as arguing about what colour hat to wear as a freight train is bearing down on you.

Thucydides said:
Longer term predictions:

Trudeau and the Liberals campaign against Donald Trump in 2019, and use a declining Canadian economy to paint the picture. Liberals are reelected.

2020, Donald Trump is elected to a second term in office, continuing to pursue his "America First" agenda.

2024, Donald Trump leaves office. Canada holds federal election. With our economy tanked, and no apparent end in site, the Liberals lose.

2028. Donald Trump is a unique phenomena, so the new Administration begins to roll back some of the Trump agenda, being careful to preserve the legislation that keeps America's economic engine running (I'm thinking af a transition similar to passing the baton from Ronald Reagan to George H.W. Bush). The unwinding over the first term of the Administration does not substantively relax trade restrictions on Canada or the rest of the world. Canada's new government struggles with the long term effects of a prolonged downturn, but has little leverage with the new Administration to change things quickly.

Broad brush outline, but I think it is close to what we will see over the next decade. The Liberals trying to insert gender equality and so on in NAFTA negotiations suggests they were unserious about the entire process (or had very poor briefing notes about America's aims and goals), and their reactions are about as effective as arguing about what colour hat to wear as a freight train is bearing down on you.

Or Canada finally grows a pair, emerges from the skirts of Uncle Sam, and stands on its own two legs for a change? :)

Respectfully, I don't think Donald Trump will be re-elected.  And while I may sound somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the 'deep state' will allow him to be re-elected, nevermind the people.

Since day 1 he has been an unpredictable nightmare.  He's been under investigation by the FBI almost since his inauguration, compulsively lies about things that are quite easy to prove & refute, has gone through more senior staff than Denny's goes through servers, has insulted America's closest allies in very unprofessional & unstately manners, now has toddlers & little kids being detained in institutional settings, families being torn apart at the border, and has single-handedly managed to piss off every major trading partner the US has - including countries such as Canada, Japan, China, the EU, etc.

And that doesn't even include the story most Americans get from their overly sensationalized & fear-mongering media conglomerates.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but honestly the American's didn't have a good choice in this election.  Berney Sanders or Ron Paul types aren't allowed to stay in - and you end up with a choice between Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump.  Lose/Lose.  But I don't think Trump will be re-elected.

CBH99 said:
Respectfully, I don't think Donald Trump will be re-elected.  And while I may sound somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the 'deep state' will allow him to be re-elected, nevermind the people.

Since day 1 he has been an unpredictable nightmare.  He's been under investigation by the FBI almost since his inauguration, compulsively lies about things that are quite easy to prove & refute, has gone through more senior staff than Denny's goes through servers, has insulted America's closest allies in very unprofessional & unstately manners, now has toddlers & little kids being detained in institutional settings, families being torn apart at the border, and has single-handedly managed to piss off every major trading partner the US has - including countries such as Canada, Japan, China, the EU, etc.

And that doesn't even include the story most Americans get from their overly sensationalized & fear-mongering media conglomerates.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but honestly the American's didn't have a good choice in this election.  Berney Sanders or Ron Paul types aren't allowed to stay in - and you end up with a choice between Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump.  Lose/Lose.  But I don't think Trump will be re-elected.
The Democrats pick a moderate, charismatic candidate who isn't the second most hated politician in America and I think they can win it. The way I look at it is Hillary almost won it and she was one of the most flawed individuals to run for President, and that was before Trump had pissed off almost every group that isn't his rock solid base.

War vets
Blacks
Latinos
Gays and Lesbians
Transgender
The poor
Environmentalists
The intelligence and law enforcement agencies
Free traders

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Regardless, I'm looking forward to November when it seems like the Republicans will have to face a blue wave.

I look forward to the rending of garments, tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth and all that other snowflake stuff, when he wins again. ;D

mrmostlikely said:
I was just saying the same thing to a colleague today. I have noticed that several people have changed their perspective and views on Mr. Trudeau recently.

How long that lasts remains to be seen though.

People changing their minds about Trudeau simply because he tried to stand against Trump? That's exactly the thinking that got him elected the first time. It may affect the view of a person, but to base their entire support for this guy on a blown out, half story by the Canadian MSN. Sorry, but I need a lot more than 'We won't be pushed around" to change my thoughts on our current government and leaders.

recceguy said:
People changing their minds about Trudeau simply because he tried to stand against Trump? That's exactly the thinking that got him elected the first time. It may affect the view of a person, but to base their entire support for this guy on a blown out, half story by the Canadian MSN. Sorry, but I need a lot more than 'We won't be pushed around" to change my thoughts on our current government and leaders.

I look forward to the rending of garments, tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth and all that other snowflake stuff, when he wins again. ;D

;D ;D ;D

What is Scheers position on legal weed?

His party voted against it, would he try to limit it or repeal it?

If so, the conservatives are dead in the water. No way Canadians vote for a party taking away their legal bud.

Altair said:

If so, the conservatives are dead in the water. No way Canadians vote for a party taking away their legal bud.

They'll do what they think is best. Once that genie is out of the bottle, it can't be put back in. We know what happens to prohibition of a legal product, against the wishes of the majority. Accept it, tweak it and move on.

Altair said:

Based on some reading I've done on side effects causing various psychosis issues (worse in developing brains), I have a bad feeling that our new-found freedoms are going to come back and bite us in the ass, bigtime.

Specific Predictions:
1.  Adding taxes to Cannabis in a 'legalized' jurisdiction is only going to drive up personal and underground growing, which will drive black market costs down. 
2.  Lower penalties will incentivize more street thugs getting into dealing, rather than less.
3.  Non-Legal distribution (without taxation) will likely also focus on higher-strength cannabis, where tests on the impact on brain health are much less certain.

Bottom Line is I don't see any way this ends up any other way than bad.  If a political party wanted to do a test run with pharmacy-distributed Cannabis oil, I would have totally backed that.  But I think this is going to be giant train wreck.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Based on some reading I've done on side effects causing various psychosis issues (worse in developing brains), I have a bad feeling that our new-found freedoms are going to come back and bite us in the ***, bigtime.

Specific Predictions:
1.  Adding taxes to Cannabis in a 'legalized' jurisdiction is only going to drive up personal and underground growing, which will drive black market costs down. 
2.  Lower penalties will incentivize more street thugs getting into dealing, rather than less.
3.  Non-Legal distribution (without taxation) will likely also focus on higher-strength cannabis, where tests on the impact on brain health are much less certain.

Bottom Line is I don't see any way this ends up any other way than bad.  If a political party wanted to do a test run with pharmacy-distributed Cannabis oil, I would have totally backed that.  But I think this is going to be giant train wreck.
Point 1) For the time being. Their will be a point where it is being massed produced enough that even with taxes, the price will be comparable to what it is on the BM now. Most cannabis companies right now are gearing up for just that, once they get a feel for the demand of the market.

2)Again, only until the point where it is being massed produced. That, and a firm police crackdown on dealers should deal with that problem. Growing pains.

3)I think most people will focus on the safe stuff once the price is right.

Other countries have gone down this root, other states. I haven't seen any train wrecks yet.

Altair said:

If they were smart they would say "in this issue we would support whatever each Province wants" and will monitor effects on the ground and amend legislation if required.  Effectively passing the buck to the Provinces.

I think if we were smart then pot wouldn't be the main factor in who we pick to run our country.

Jarnhamar said:
I think if we were smart then pot wouldn't be the main factor in who we pick to run our country.
That's silly.

If a teetotal was running for Prime Minister and said that they would ban alcohol you telling me that wouldn't sway your vote?

I don't need alcohol to survive.  I'm partial to issues about foreign policy, immigration, taxes, ethics and spending when it comes to voting.

It says a lot about our enlightened youth when pot is their biggest concern.

Jarnhamar said:
I don't need alcohol to survive.  I'm partial to issues about foreign policy, immigration, taxes, ethics and spending when it comes to voting.

It says a lot about our enlightened youth when pot is their biggest concern.
Not having a criminal record matters a lot to some people.

Altair said:
Not having a criminal record matters a lot to some people.

That could have happened with decriminalization. This is about taxation period. If it was truly about harm reduction, and reducing the social burden, then that's what the conversation would be about. It's not - the government has almost excursively focused on tax.

ModlrMike said:
That could have happened with decriminalization. This is about taxation period. If it was truly about harm reduction, and reducing the social burden, then that's what the conversation would be about. It's not - the government has almost excursively focused on tax.
What people want =/= what government focuses on.

Back