• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US To Acquire Lightweight (LW) 155mm Howitzer

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Lightweight (LW) 155 mm Howitzer. The US Army and Marine Corps are planning to jointly acquire the LW 155 mm Howitzer developed by BAE Systems (UK) through a multiyear procurement contract. 317 systems are to be purchased by the Marine Corps, while the Army plans to buy 233 and the National Guard an additional 80 to 100. The LW 155 offers significant improvements in lethality and survivability over its predecessor, in addition to increased speed, mobility and deployability. The new howitzer is 40 percent lighter and has an independent suspension system, allowing it to traverse 35 percent more terrain worldwide. The howitzer will be fielded to the Stryker Brigade Combat Teams as an interim system to the future Non-Line-of-Sight Cannon. NLOS-Cannon is a self-propelled weapon whereas the LW 155 is a towed system.

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/p&r/concepts/2004/PDF/CP%2004%20Chap%204%20pdfs/CP04%20CHAP%204%20Ground%20Combat%20Element%20-%20pp155_LIGHTWEIGHT%20155MM%20HOWITZER.pdf

I hope that link works, but I worked with the XM777, when the gun was at Camp Pendleton. What really struck me is how low it is to the ground and I thought two odd features were that it is towed by it‘s gun tube rather than its trails, and that part of it traverse mech and gears are on the outside??? but operationally the XM777 with the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) will give us Artillery up to 45km

I take it the NLOS-Cannon will pick up where the dead end project of the Crusader?

Is this HIMARS related to the LOSAT system? I read about that a while ago but have heard zilch about it since.

This looks interesting, don't know how well it performs but:

howitzer1.jpg

fire1.jpg

there is a few more pics here http://www.strykernews.com/gallery/strykerhowitzer/howitzer1

Next thing we'll see is an 8x8 Piranha chassis with a fully functional McDonald's resteraunt on it....

LOSAT - Line of Sight Anti-Tank, is a Humvee mounter AT missile that the army is developing, the HIMARS is a Joint Artillery Rocket System that is being developed for the army and the Marine Corps, and will go into LRIP (Low Rate Intial Production) Next Year.  Both can be found a Lockheed's Missile and Fire Control Website,,,

http://www.missilesandfirecontrol.com/

Steve

That thing must have a really effective muzzle break and recoil mechanisms otherwise the turret would pop off, I believe a Piranha 8x8 chassis is a little underweight for a 155 mm howitzer, although there are several wheeled SPH i.e. the South African G6 and the highly successful Czech vz.77 Dana (does vehicles however are mounted on heavier truck chassis). I'm assuming it can fire only over the frontal arch of the vehicle, not a very stable firing platform.
Now a turreted 120 mm mortar (using a Swedish dual barrel 120 mm AMOS turret) would make sense as a support vehicle for direct and indirect fire:

http://members.surfeu.fi/stefan.allen/pics/A_Smaller.jpg

The carrier is a XA-200 from Patria-Hagglunds.
:cdn:

It's a 105mm self loading turret mounted on a LAVIII/Stryker body, an one of the pictures shows it getting off of a C130, which is pretty impressive, figured it would be overwieght(Of course maybe they were just checking size an never actually took off).

http://www.strykernews.com/archives/2004/04/26/howitzer_test_firing.html

There is more info on the New Canadian Artillery Purchase? thread under Artillery.

As to actually flying the above article says that they fired 43 round into the Gulf of Mexico, mounted up into the Herc, flew to Fort Sills, the arty school in Oklahoma, dismounted and fired a further 5 rounds.   Janes Defence Weekly reported that the 43 rounds were fired at Eglin AFB in Florida at ranges between 4 km and 32 km and that the 5 rounds fired in Oklahoma were fired with "first round down range" 6 minutes after leaving the Herc.   This was a remote fire rig because the system has not yet been cleared to fire with a crew on-board.

PS to 2FtOnion

You seem to be well filled in.  Any news from your quarter on the Lockheed Netfires (Missiles in a Box) system?  I see the tests moving along, wondering if anything is being heard about fielding dates.

Cheers.

Would this be accepted by Arty members in the CF?

visit this link if it dont work its the dnd main site I clicked on what's new and then choose the maple leaf .........  GOOD NEWS FOR US GUNNERS HOOAH

I don't think one gunners opinion means everyone else will agree with him.

I would love to take a look at this system. Makes far more sense to me than dragging guns behind trucks. Full comms and a fixation orientation system would move us to the cutting edge of 90s technology.

Yeah like I will ever see it.

Yes it would! But towed guns can fire as long as they have crews to man them an ammo to fire, an can be towed by more then one type of vehicle(an by manpower if you are really desperate). Damage to tracks or engine may put a self-propelled gun out of action.

There smaller size also makes them easier to conceal.

Infanteer said:
Next thing we'll see is an 8x8 Piranha chassis with a fully functional McDonald's resteraunt on it....

Who told you about that. It was supposed to be a secret. :eek:

Raytheon -- Bofors Successfully Conduct World's First GPS Guided 155mm Artillery Shell Flight Test
    TUCSON, Ariz., Nov. 11, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In a first-of-a-
kind test earlier this month, the Raytheon Missile Systems and Bofors
Excalibur team successfully fired a global positioning satellite-guided 155mm
artillery shell, which guided to a target aim point 20 kilometers down range.
The shell hit less than 11 feet from the aim point, well within the
performance specification of Excalibur.
    "This test was a complete success," said Raytheon's Program Manager John
Halvey. "We could not be happier.  This success demonstrates the hard work and
dedication that the team has strived for in order to put precision munitions
into the warfighters hands at the earliest possible date."
    "The test's success marks a key milestone for fielding Excalibur in
conjunction with the M777 howitzer in fiscal year 2006 to a Stryker Brigade of
the 25th Infantry Division," said Lt. Col. William Cole, the Army's Excalibur
product manager at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J. The program is a cooperative effort
between the United States and Sweden.
    The Excalibur round was fired from the new 155mm light howitzer XM777,
which will replace the M198 howitzer.  Using a tactical propellant charge of
Modular Artillery Charge System-Four, the round successfully executed
navigation and guidance after GPS acquisition.  The shell demonstrated proper
navigation and guidance despite experiencing extreme G-force during gun
launch.  The shell completed numerous flight adjustments using its Control
Actuator System and hit the target at a near vertical descent.  This near
vertical descent is ideal for urban warfare due to the limited space available
between city structures.  Excalibur's extreme accuracy will reduce collateral
damage and make artillery a force multiplier for commanders on the ground.
    "The round's most significant accomplishment was successful navigation and
GPS acquisition after a tactical gun launch," said Dave Martin, Raytheon's
Guided Projectiles vice president.  Excalibur uses GPS technology to deliver a
variety of lethal payloads to a target up to 40 kilometers away when fired
from a 39 caliber howitzer.
    The Excalibur program is a key element of the transformation of cannon
artillery to provide responsive precision strike capability. This capability
will offer high lethality, increased range, and low collateral damage, while
greatly reducing the logistical burden for future deployed ground forces.
    Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), with 2003 sales of $18.1 billion, is an
industry leader in defense and government electronics, space, information
technology, technical services, and business and special mission aircraft.
With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 78,000 people worldwide.

Hopefully it is alot less expensive than the CopperHead Laserguided round

that first pic is from general dynamics in london. just realised that.
never seen anything like that there before, but very interesting nevertheless.
these howitzer's sound bloody awesome. 45 kms?!? jebus that's a LONG distance for support.
and that GPS round sounds rather interesting as well.
Greg

The 45 km reach is rocket assisted, and I believe Excalibur refers to the guidance attachment to the round

Back