• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Stryker Brigade Enhancements

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The following is a cut and paste from an email I received. I regret I do not have a link.

The Defense Acquisition Board recently approved the fielding of the final three of six Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (SBCT), as well as the Army's budget plans to increase SCBT combat effectiveness through improved indirect fire and target acquisition capabilities, as well as improvements in command, control, communications, computers, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance. The US Army‘s budget proposes to fully implement these improvements to the final two of six SCBTs and to partially retrofit them in the earlier brigades. Enhancements for the final two SBCTs are foreseen to include: the M777 Light Weight 155mm howitzer (BAE Systems) to increase the lethality, range and precision of the organic artillery battalion (Gunner comment - I posted information on the lightweight artillery system to the artillery forum); the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS), 53 of which will be fielded per brigade for joint interoperability; and the 10-meter mast for the Long Range Advanced Scout Surveillance System (Raytheon), which will allow target identification at a distance of 10 km from a concealed position (Gunner comment - Sounds alot like our Coyote system doesn‘t it??).

In related developments, slat-armour (General Dynamics) has been provided for all Strykers deployed in OIF, which causes rocket-propelled grenades to detonate before hitting the vehicle's hull. In addition, reactive armour for the Stryker has recently completed testing (United Defense). The armour sets, similar to those fitted to the Bradley Armoured Fighting Vehicle, are expected in early 2005 and likely are to be â Å“stacked and storedâ ? in case of need rather than being issued to vehicles.

Lessons we Canadians can take from this:

The US still sees the need for medium artillery (155 mm) in a self propelled armoured platform.  We should recognize the same.  105 mm truck mounted guns may be an improvement on 105 mm towed guns, but they are not an M109 replacement.

The US is getting a â Å“LAV III Coyote knock-off.â ?  That is because our LAV II Coyote has proven so successful.  However, they already have a platform for the closer in recce (the US will used a recce Stryker).  We expect our surveillance coyote to do both.  We need an armoured LUVW.

Have we looked at slat armour?

I believe the Coyote can reach out to 22 Km and is getting upgraded more.   I do think that we should be looking at the Lav III chasis for "Coyote II" just for Logistical reasons.   Commonality of parts.   After all the Coyote is not a Recce Vehicle, it is a Surveillance Platform with a 25 mm Bushmaster Chaingun for self-defence.   Upgrading to a Lav III would give more room for the crew to operate.   The Coyote is very cramped when fully kitted and deployed.   Upgrades to the Electronics take up even more room.

The GIB (Guy In Back) is literally packed into his position and can't move.   Rather safe in a roll over, as he has no room to be thrown around. ;D

GW

I think all older generation LAV should be replaced by new LAV III.  Life extension programs on the AVGP will only extend  the period overwhich we have to worry about parts & maintenance costs on (very) mixed fleets.  All our wheeled regular force should be in LAV III (no Bison, no Cougar, no Grizzly, no Coyote).  If we want to keep these other vehicles, then they can be used by the reserves.  (maybe a LAV turret on a cougar so that crews can be intercangable with LAV III crew).  Bison & Grizzley should be replaced with a turretless LAV III (like the US Stryker).

Back