• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy issuing Flame Resistant Coverall Uniform

Coveralls are great, they look way better than that ugly bus driver outfit the Navy calls a uniform.

They are also way quicker to get in to at emergency, rescue and action stations than the layered uniform with buttons.

I guarantee you that if you put a person with coveralls beside a person with a regular uniform and time them jumping out of their rack for an alarm, the person with coveralls will be quicker every time. Not just by a couple of seconds either, I'm talking like by a minute. It's enough that it's statistically significant.

There is a performance incentive for issuing everyone coveralls. An institution that cares about performance would take that in to consideration.

This is the RCN we are talking about though so I won't hold my breath.
Re: overalls

The RAN issued everyone overalls for a while, then returned to a 2 piece not unlike our “new” NCDs about 10 years ago.

I don’t know why they did that, but my guess is that fit was an issue.

Re: overalls

The RAN issued everyone overalls for a while, then returned to a 2 piece not unlike our “new” NCDs about 10 years ago.

I don’t know why they did that, but my guess is that fit was an issue.
The coveralls are awesome if you're slim and trim. If you aren't and get a sea belly, you'll pop a zipper 😉

The coveralls are awesome if you're slim and trim. If you aren't and get a sea belly, you'll pop a zipper 😉
I worked in a few different manufacturing plants before joining where issued coveralls were common, and plenty of them had round the world sea bellies that has easily rivaled anyone I've seen in uniform.

We just suck at getting clothes that fit anyone, regardless of dimensions. I'm slim and trim, and the CAF issued coveralls either hung off me like a sack of milk, or moose-knuckled me hard enough I couldn't stand up straight. I was able to get some super comfy FR coveralls no problem overnight using the power of my credit card and the interwebs for the same cost as the NCD pants (less actually).

Boggles my mind that we go on about GBA+ for every single procurement (even have to fill out forms for POL and widgets that it doesn't apply) but the clothing system can't figure out sizing when they have actual measurements for every CAF member on file, and should be able to do actual analysis on the real sizes required and incorporate GBA+ in a useful and meaningful way.

I worked in a few different manufacturing plants before joining where issued coveralls were common, and plenty of them had round the world sea bellies that has easily rivaled anyone I've seen in uniform.

We just suck at getting clothes that fit anyone, regardless of dimensions. I'm slim and trim, and the CAF issued coveralls either hung off me like a sack of milk, or moose-knuckled me hard enough I couldn't stand up straight. I was able to get some super comfy FR coveralls no problem overnight using the power of my credit card and the interwebs for the same cost as the NCD pants (less actually).

Boggles my mind that we go on about GBA+ for every single procurement (even have to fill out forms for POL and widgets that it doesn't apply) but the clothing system can't figure out sizing when they have actual measurements for every CAF member on file, and should be able to do actual analysis on the real sizes required and incorporate GBA+ in a useful and meaningful way.
One day we discover that Logistiks is owned by a Quebec based Russian oligarch, then everything will make sense.

I have a shameful confession to make .
In the mid to late eighties I worked for while for a garment factory.
They manufactured CF Green Bermuda shorts.
I cannot fathom how anyone could honestly view those god aweful things as suitable for tropical wear.
They were heavy weight 100% polyester And were cheapest worst woven crap I have ever seen.

I’m sorry - I just cannot take anyone seriously wearing that.
They were "seriously" wearing that because it was a} all we had, and b} part of the dress regs, so refer to a)

I wore FR coveralls for 11 years of my life. Rarely if ever did a I have a pair that did not fit properly. Heck we even got coveralls for the old water haulers who's didn't fit around his belly with ones that did fit. (worked in my favor he kept our beer cold in his fridge).
Military procurement, is lackluster and Institutionalized .
To many people who have ever only Did XYZ for their life, know so much better then everyone else's around. To the point they wont look at things objectively with open ears, eyes and mouth shut.
But SME in the Military say its so, so it is so. You end up with retired Australian F18s, G Wagons, international/ Mack trucks, along with one off rescue aircraft that do not meet spec even after years of work, TAPV that has no real role then look cool to a civilian, ships that are so far off on time frames that we may never see them.

I consider myself one as well. I would like to see the RCN return to a more pre-unification NCM rank insignia. I think our tunics should have 8 buttons. I think our medals should be mounted high on the jacket not above the pocket.

I also think the only time for salt and peppers or my tunic, ect ect, is on a parade or other public duties. Work, be it in an office or ship or warehouse or machine shop, should be a simple comfortable uniform that properly displays rank, name and trade, for ease of identification.

One thing I have noticed since I have been wearing CADPAT everyday is how much more interaction the public wants to have with me. I get thanks and conversation every time I go get lunch or stop at the grocery store on the way home. It never happened in Naval uniforms.
Is it because the new black NCD’s look like a police tactical uniform rather than something more “naval”?

Back