• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Navy issuing Flame Resistant Coverall Uniform

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Military.com

Navy to Issue Flame Resistant Coverall Uniform

by Mike Hoffman on October 25, 2013 ·

The Navy developed a flame resistant coverall uniform that will be issued to fleet sailors starting in December as part of a $12 million program to protect sailors.

Officials plan to order 230,000 of the uniforms in which fleet sailors will be issued two pairs. Sailors who will receive the uniforms include those assigned to carriers, destroyers, amphips, aircraft carriers, big-deck gators, coastal patrol ships, frigates, logistics ships, and minesweepers.

The blue coveralls are 100 percent cotton treated with a flame resistant coating. The uniform costs $52, but sailors will not be required to purchase them. The Navy has deemed the uniform organizational clothing and will issue the flame resistant coverall.

Ships scheduled to deploy in the first part of 2014 are scheduled to receive the new coveralls. Also, currently deployed ships are on top of the priority list to receive the flame proof uniform, Navy officials said.

Once sailors receive the new coveralls, the “NWU type I and other polyester/poly blend uniforms” will no longer be authorized for wear underway except for “special events like manning the rails or ceremonies at anchor,” according to a Navy announcement.

The flame resistant coverall “will not be worn in place of other organizational clothing like flight deck gear or electrical protective materials,” according to the announcement.

Officials at the Navy Clothing and Textile Research Facility in Natick, Mass., continue to test the new uniform as seen in the video below.

There has been calls by RCN members for coveralls for a long time as well. I can't remember if they were part of the NICE program.

They won't be coming.  The idea was firmly shut down.

The story I heard is that they tend to look slovenly (sp?) and the females did not like them due to the need to strip them all the way down to use the heads.

Probably more to it than that though.

NS

NavyShooter said:
The story I heard is that they tend to look slovenly (sp?) and the females did not like them due to the need to strip them all the way down to use the heads.

The French had a solution to that problem......A trap door.

It's not that hard to use the washroom in coveralls... I do it regularly.

I wear a 1-piece;  I don't look slovenly and haven't shyte myself.  Used to wear a crewsuit by times, no issues then either.

a Sig Op said:
It's not that hard to use the washroom in coveralls... I do it regularly.

Yeah it's too easy to go in one's coveralls, but I think he meant that the ladies want to use the toilet instead ;)

agc said:
Yeah it's too easy to go in one's coveralls, but I think he meant that the ladies want to use the toilet instead ;)

Crap!  Aboard ship they even have doors.

I was on a stone frigate the other day, and I had a landlocked sailor "correct" me" when I referred to the door, apparently it was a "hatch".

I then corrected him, there was no combing coaming, it was a door, and remained a damned door, regardless of being on a ship. This appeared to irritate him.

The navy are a weird lot.

I assume they issued weird coveralls if they had issues with the washroom... I can't speak for ladies, but I can speak for my excellent bowels, which usually without fail make a few deposits a day. The zipper goes from neck to crotch, and with a zip and a wiggle I can have them at my ankles in seconds and go on about my business.

NavyShooter said:

Probably more to it than that though.

NS
Those are the reasons given that I am aware of.  The dress committee didn't like the look or thought of coveralls.  They do have a bit of a point, in that I remember seeing pictures of Winston Churchill in coveralls... mind you, guys in that shape don't look any better in NCD's either.

a Sig Op said:
I was on a stone frigate the other day, and I had a landlocked sailor "correct" me" when I referred to the door, apparently it was a "hatch".

I then corrected him, there was no combing, it was a door, and remained a damned door, regardless of being on a ship. This appeared to irritate him.

I assume they issued weird coveralls if they had issues with the washroom... I can't speak for ladies, but I can speak for my excellent bowels, which usually without fail make a few deposits a day. The zipper goes from neck to crotch, and with a zip and a wiggle I can have them at my ankles in seconds and go on about my business.
Meh, the coveralls they issue are fine.  They work perfectly.  It's a user issue, or who have issues. 

Yes, we are weird at times.  Nice shaking the Shad's tree like that.  Some guys try to be too Pusser for their own good.

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, we are weird at times.  Nice shaking the Shad's tree like that.  Some guys try to be too Pusser for their own good.

Yes I see that....do you guys speak English at all? Pusser? shad?

Jim Seggie said:
Yes I see that....do you guys speak English at all? Pusser? shad?

Yes, we do have our own language at times.  What can I say, we're weird.  I'll translate.  ;)

Pusser- when speaking of a person it is someone who is naval-wise spit and polished, very prim and proper.  A company man so to speak. (not always said as a compliment towards the person in question)

Shad - is a type of fish that comes to the rivers in NS in the summer.  We call Reservists "Shads" as they used to come out to the coasts for the summer in droves as well.

a Sig Op said:

I then corrected him, there was no combing coaming, it was a door, and remained a damned door, regardless of being on a ship. This appeared to irritate him.

Funny sidenote, even with a coaming, it's still called a door.  Hatches go between decks (ie floors).  Hence why the official RCN drawings for them are known as the 'Door and Hatch' plan.  There is actually a floor on the ships as well; that's the official name for the reinforced structure the engine raft mounts sit on.  If only I could remember useful things half as well....

I've heard the same excuse about hygiene but I think that's bollocks, otherwise the air crew,  FF and HTs wouldn't be wearing them.  Probably just on the agenda of someone that thinks we should still wear our salt & peppers on board alongside if we aren't on the duty watch.  If the uniform looks terrible on someone; maybe it's because they have a giant gut overhanging their belt and three chins, or it's tailored for someone built like that (the NCDs hang off most folks like a blind date, plenty of room for expansion).

The FFs onboard wearing CADPAT coveralls is stupid though, the old blue ones looked sharp.  Personally I would prefer something high contrast with the ocean in case I fall overboard (orange?).  Odds are pretty good if you can see the sailor you can probably see the big ship carrying them along.  :2c:

Sounds similar to the one-piece navy-blue jumpsuits we used to be issued. Fortunately, it wasn't mandatory to wear them. I only wore mine a few times in the winter. 

In 2007, the Uniform Committee decided no one was to wear them anymore. 

Halifax Tar said:
There has been calls by RCN members for coveralls for a long time as well. I can't remember if they were part of the NICE program.

Is the existing naval combat/work uniform made of a fire resistant material?

I agree coveralls are suitable for dirty work  ~ they are  simple and utilitarian ~ but I think safety, especially fire safety, needs to be a high requirement for sailors' uniforms. If the existing uniforms are fire resistant then there is, I guess, no need for another uniform; if they are not then they (whoever "they" might be) should design a simple, utilitarian "dirty work" uniform that is fire resistant. I have a personal preference for a "multi part" uniform, rather than a one piece coverall, which can be mixed and matched for work in enclosed spaces, outdoors (on deck) in foul weather and so on ~ trousers, shorts, shirts and jackets, etc.

Yes, our NCD's are fire resistant.

Prior to that, however, the old garrison dress/work dress that we used at sea was made of the crapiest 100% polyester and a real menace. I had one of mine melt in a second on the spot where I accidentally backed into
one of the galley's stove top edge. I started wearing long sleeve all cotton t-shirts and underwear very shortly thereafter.

I think the Americas had the same situation in the seventies/early eighties: Their seaman's issued dress were polyester, but they could get all cotton ones at their expense from the BX. They even had a safety campaign that used the slogan: "Make Mine Cotton".

Back