• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US, NATO Outta Afghanistan 2021

Have we got confirmation yet that all CAF are OK? There’s video of our guys in that spot up til quite recently.

Fast forward and we have one airport surrounded by Taliban to get everyone out...What were they thinking that lead us to this... If as Canadians we try to push the blame entirely on Biden / USA, how can we ignore that our politicians essentially did nothing to get our people out in time... How did we not see this coming?
They weren't thinking at all. Period.

And I am not trying to sound smug, or like I am taking cheap shots. Our combat mission ended in 2011, and our interpreters volunteered to work with us on the condition that they & their families would be relocated to Canada speedily. That didn't happen in the slightest.

When I say they weren't thinking, again - I'm not being smug. I guarantee you that Justin Trudeau has sat quietly at his table, deep in thought about "How do we get our interpreters out? They were supposed to be out in the 2011-2012 timeframe..." exactly 0 times. Even now, I suspect 0 shits are given minus it's now an election, and he didn't give the embassy staff in country much thought until a security briefing one morning perhaps about 2 weeks ago.

If they had been thinking, they would have evacuated a majority of our embassy staff about a month & a half ago when the media was starting to consistently report that the Taliban were coming back, in strength, organized, and successfully engaging ANSF.

It is not entirely Biden's fault in the slightest, nor even the USA. We hired and employed our interpreters and contracted staff to work at our embassy. We promised a speedy move to Canada shortly after, which we failed to deliver on. We could have moved them ages ago, as we seem to be able to grant visas & refugee status to other Afghans and get them here...just not the ones we promised.

And we did see this coming. I think we all did. The folks in Ottawa who are preoccupied with meaningless, woke, petty crap? I think they are the only ones genuinely surprised.

Have we got confirmation yet that all CAF are OK? There’s video of our guys in that spot up til quite recently.
There was a released statement confirming that there were no CAF casualties. I'll post the link later tonight.

Personally I would of struck pre emptively if I knew of a credible threat, it's Afghanistan, not new York. I'm sure the taliban would of been okay with striking a mutual enemy.

Technically the Taliban Leadership are Deobandists and the ISIS Leadership is Jihadi-Salafi Islam, so they have ideology differences. Deobandists have more or less adopted Whabbism, whereas Jihadi-Salafi sort of rejects Whabbism as to moderate. The rank and file likley just go with who pays better, wins more and has the best weapons.
Splitting hairs - they are mutually supportive in most cases - as they hate us, the Shia's and pretty much everyone else.

Personally I would of struck pre emptively if I knew of a credible threat, it's Afghanistan, not new York. I'm sure the taliban would of been okay with striking a mutual enemy.
Mutual enemy is us -- while I am sure the TB leadership would have appreciated this not happen , as they are trying to portray themselves as Taliban 2.0 "The Moderate TB" the young members and a lot of middle aged fighters don't see ISIS-K as the enemy -- the TB put the Haqqani group in charge of security for Kabul -- they are extreme violent side - and are viewed as much more of a threat to Westerners (and moderate Afghans) than ISIS-K

So about Monsef.

I don't think for a second she wants to friends with the Taliban. LPC detractors will chew on that bone as predicted.

I have no reason to doubt that she was attempting to use cultural language. (there is debate about that though)

But, a few things strike me as tone deaf about it.

It wasn't tone deaf it was completely moronic and stupid.

It's a slap in the face to the families of the Taliban's victims full stop.

The only imaginable scenario where a Canadian citizen would call the Taliban brothers are Taliban sympathizers.

Mutual enemy is us -- while I am sure the TB leadership would have appreciated this not happen , as they are trying to portray themselves as Taliban 2.0 "The Moderate TB" the young members and a lot of middle aged fighters don't see ISIS-K as the enemy -- the TB put the Haqqani group in charge of security for Kabul -- they are extreme violent side - and are viewed as much more of a threat to Westerners (and moderate Afghans) than ISIS-K
I knew they were working with the Haqqani network, but I did not realize they had put them in charge of security for Kabul. Ooooffff…

You know you are violent psychos when someone would rather run away KNOWING they will be kidnapped by the Taliban, but preferring it as they are by far the better option. 😬

I've had a few hours to think about this.

An insurgency can bide its time. I used to brief officers/WOs and Sgts on the intricacy of insurgency.

The Taliban tried to fight NATO on NATO terms and failed miserably - so they all went back to Kandahar, Kabul etc and waited, and waited. Then when the timing was right they reappeared in strength.
The Taliban used the time to infiltrate the halls of government and their military.

The Taliban may have had the time but are acutely aware they don't have revenue and know they are going to struggle to get enough to run the country and keep everyone bought.
This.

Whatever version of Taliban emerges, there will be an expectation/demand that along with their assumption of control, they keep the wheels of society running.

That means food, hospitals, roads, water and sewage, and other stuff that even medieval-imposed/constrained society has come to expect. I didn't include justice and police because I suspect they will impose their own system. But without the first four above, their society will quickly disintegrate into discord and civil war.

The Taliban may have had the time but are acutely aware they don't have revenue and know they are going to struggle to get enough to run the country and keep everyone bought.
Oh really? The paving trucks from China are probably already starting to move towards the border to continue the Silk Road construction

It wasn't tone deaf it was completely moronic and stupid.

It's a slap in the face to the families of the Taliban's victims full stop.

The only imaginable scenario where a Canadian citizen would call the Taliban brothers are Taliban sympathizers.
You left out the part where I said it was stupid…meh.

You left out the part where I said it was stupid…meh.
Hey Remius, yes you're right, sorry. I tried to go back earlier and edit my comment but it was too late. I wanted to point out I was responding more towards what I've seen on social media with people saying it's cultural or she didn't mean it vice you specifically.

You hit a great point about a woman from Afghanistan (and a minister of women at that) should know better.

She's on a other planet and exemplifies the Liberal party being out of touch with Canadians.

Sadly I'm sure Canadians will still swing back to supporting the LPC more once this Afghanistan story is dropped in a week and especially when Trudeau starts promising everyone the world and a pony but I hope reading her idiotic comment gave him heartburn at least.

Sadly I'm sure Canadians will still swing back to supporting the LPC more once this Afghanistan story is dropped in a week and especially when Trudeau starts promising everyone the world and a pony but I hope reading her idiotic comment gave him heartburn at least.
He just hears himself and the klingons telling him how awesome he is…

... food, hospitals, roads, water and sewage, and other stuff that even medieval-imposed/constrained society has come to expect. I didn't include justice and police because I suspect they will impose their own system. But without the first four above, their society will quickly disintegrate into discord and civil war.
Not the first guerilla movement that may find it harder to move into a governance mode. Then again, did they do such a great job the first time they had a crack at the tiller?

Back