• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Military recruiting in Canada

Enzo

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0352/mondo2.php

1794 Jay Treaty???

The Americans have no place recruiting in out borders save for Americans taking up residence in Canada. I‘ve heard too many stories of guys leaving the CF to join the Americans for pay incentives and promises of better training and pay. Any thoughts on a solution?? :sniper:

but how credible is that news site? the links it uses makes it look like some pretty anti-american hippie **** to me

It probaly is a bias site but reguardless of their writers angle the Americans are recruiting in Canada and thats ****. :soldier:

Does Canada ever cross the border to recruit there? I don‘t think so.

Actually the whole story was on the CTV news a couple of weeks ago but DND and the US Military were able to come to some sort of agreement whereas the US would not come over to Canada to recruit Aboriginals into their armed forces unless the Aboriginals crossed the borders themselves.

well yeah, but if that happens, then Canadians can‘t do anything about it..

it‘s like if anyone goes over to the states and then get recruited there...

There is a little unknown law in Canada.
It‘s Illegal for Canadian Citizen‘s to serve in another County‘s armed force‘s except Commonwealth Force‘s.

But we don‘t enforce it.

So beware if your on the loseing side.

Also it‘s illeagle for Canadian‘s to be Mercenaries!

But we don‘t enforce this law either,unless you are on the losing side!!

So Beware!!

Heh.
Only 2 years and I‘ll be heading south for the US Army.

Any Canadian who jumps the border to join the US Army has no loyalty and dedication to this country. I wouldn‘t want to serve with him/her in any event, people like that have no place in the military especially when Canada is in such need for more troops. Anyone else agree with that. :threat:

I‘m not saying that the site I quoted was gospel. I always treat information on the internet with skepticism anyhow. Aside from that however, in the past, the Marines were actively recruiting Aboriginals in the Maritimes. Due to the media attention, this is now changing.

If the US reinstate the draft, I wonder how that will affect foreign nationals interested in joining the US Military?

Canadian military is one of the highest pay. US is way lower than ours. True story

Originally posted by Light Infantry Soldier:
[qb] Any Canadian who jumps the border to join the US Army has no loyalty and dedication to this country. I wouldn‘t want to serve with him/her in any event, people like that have no place in the military especially when Canada is in such need for more troops. Anyone else agree with that. :threat: [/qb]
I‘d rather serve in an Army that cares about it‘s soldiers and actually funds them than one that cares little about the Army because the big ol US of A will protect them.

SFontaine,
Go for it buddy, maybe you can get a Special Forces contract. How cool would that be? I hear that the US Army has all sorts of cool sh!t to play with. I mean the Canadian Army is pretty small and yeah, I guess their calibre of soldiering is pretty good, but they do need new planes so forget joining them. You will miss the opportunity to soldier with some of the best AND wear the maple leaf on your shoulder at the same time but, by all means, go join the Yanks. They‘ll treat you way better than we ever will, I hear your drill sergeant even tucks you in at night. There‘s no way your platoon warrant up here would ever do that, trust me.

If you want to go GO. I have met a few , that have gone and loved it and a few that hated it. I would join the British Army First. American are one thing. Targets. We will never know who hates you. Ever see the British patrol? Beret, and a smill. Americans helmet and a FU.

I‘d rather serve in an Army that cares about it‘s soldiers and actually funds them than one that cares little about the Army because the big ol US of A will protect them.
I thought I‘d comment on this one. I‘ve worked on a US military installation for the last year. What I have noticed is in fact the Canadian Army, and more specifically the regimental system does a far better job of looking after the troops than the US Army does. There are troops in the US Army who were went to Iraq for 6 months got posted to another unit cleared in only to find that they were going back to Iraq for a one year tour.

The fact of the matter, is that other than to show up for the odd photo-op with the troops (to be displayed prominently during elections) the powers that be in the US care about as much about the troops as our pols do.

Before you go join the US Forces I would suggest that you heavily consider that, unless you hold dual citizenship, you could very well find yourself fighting for a country that is not yours, in a conflict you don‘t agree with, lead by political leaders you did not elect.

The American recruiting efforts are aimed at filling the ranks of an army stretched thin by the Iraq war and by having to post troops in other world hot spots such as Afghanistan and Uzbekistan.
So basically they are saying that we don‘t want american‘s to go on the front lines, so lets recruit some natives from Northern Canada. As long as they can fire a weapon, they might aswell join the US Army.

Any Canadian who jumps the border to join the US Army has no loyalty and dedication to this country. I wouldn‘t want to serve with him/her in any event, people like that have no place in the military especially when Canada is in such need for more troops. Anyone else agree with that.
I totally agree. Besides, from what i‘ve heard and seen, the Canadian army is the way to go in a matter of training and safety. I know that any Army is dangerous, but the CND Army seems to steer clear and avoid any major combat.

Canadian military is one of the highest pay. US is way lower than ours. True story
You gotta be kidding, right? :blotto:

Before you go join the US Forces I would suggest that you heavily consider that, unless you hold dual citizenship, you could very well find yourself fighting for a country that is not yours, in a conflict you don‘t agree with, lead by political leaders you did not elect.
Nice. :cool:

So what I‘m hearing is that people want to leave because they want Americas cool little toys. Weapons are tools man who cares what they look like so long as when you pull the trigger rounds hit what your shooting at. Canadian weapons rock I‘ve never had any problems with them, its the same stuff in the States in any event. :soldier: :fifty:

I totally agree. Besides, from what i‘ve heard and seen, the Canadian army is the way to go in a matter of training and safety. I know that any Army is dangerous, but the CND Army seems to steer clear and avoid any major combat.
I don‘t even know where to begin with the latter portion of that statement. "The CDN Army seems to steer clear and avoid any ‘major‘ combat?" I wasn‘t aware that there was such a thing as ‘minor‘ combat. 4 dead, 8 wounded is better somehow than 40? I‘m being literal here and I know that will leave me open to criticism. I understand your underlying point, that we avoid large scale operations. Steering clear is an understatement, we do not have the resources to commit to such tasks. We are still, and I have to stress this, a fighting army. We always have been. These are poor years, but overall (in Canada) they are peaceful years. You just have to understand that when you sign on with the CF, there is no guarantee that you will be able to avoid risk to your personal safety. No one is (hopefully) in a rush to waste your life, but if the situation calls for it, then you better recall your PWT and fulfill your mission. In a worse case scenario, even the cooks need to be able to defend themselves. Do you understand?

As for the criticism of those who choose to go to the US/AUS/UK/France/China/Brazil or Eritrea. That is the individual‘s decision. They are making a life decision that they feel is appropriate to them; if they remain Canadian citizens or hold a kinship with Canada. Fine. I don‘t begrudge them any more than I would a pilot flying for Quantas, an MCSE working for Microsoft in Redmond or a nurse in a California hospital. Bear in mind, others come to Canada and join the CF. How many CF personnel are perusing this site right now were born in another country? Maybe a quick poll would surprise some. I had people in my platoon from Macedonia, France, the Ukraine, the UK and a Croatian. Out of 37. They had become Canadians and now serve. Are they traitors to their former nations also?

And for the record, some may feel that they do not have another option. Personally, I‘m going into my 5th year of fighting for reinstatement to the CF on the grounds that I am fit for service. It‘s a stupid situation and one that I should not be in. I‘ve considered other nations over the past few years and I‘m getting fed up with this beauracracy. If I don‘t find an acceptance back into the CF by the time I finish my degree, then I very well may take my over qualified self down to a nation who will allow me to apply my skills. And by skills I do mean that taking my Canadian Infantry trained, Commercial flying, Commercial diving, College educated self. If the Yanks will allow me to fly something more than a Griffon or actually go in the field, it something to consider. If my own nation doesn‘t have the interest, then I may as well go somewhere that does. I‘m not ready to settle for a 9-5 lifestyle just yet.

Where does the onus lie? Don‘t judge those who choose to make the best that they can with the cards that they are dealt.

Back