• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Military Mail

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
Hi.  Sorry if it has been covered but I didn't find anything about it on the forum and online.  I would like to know if a military in the US can send something to a canadian military in Canada (e.g.:  From a base in the States to a base in Canada).  If yes, what are the regulations for using it.

Thank you,

Max

The Regulations would be the same as for Canada Post and the US Postal Services.

I meant regulations regarding personal mail.  I know with CFPO we can't send personal correspondance.  With APO you can.  Can you send from an APO to a CFPO?  Can I (as a Canadian) pick up mail at the APO? (there is one in Winnipeg)

Thanks,

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I meant regulations regarding personal mail.  I know with CFPO we can't send personal correspondance.  With APO you can.  Can you send from an APO to a CFPO?  Can I (as a Canadian) pick up mail at the APO? (there is one in Winnipeg)

Thanks,

Max

???

For personal mail the Regulations would follow those set out by CANADA POST within the boundaries/jurisdiction of CANADA, or The US POSTAL SERVICE if within the boundaries/jurisdiction of the US of A.

George Wallace said:
The Regulations would be the same as for Canada Post and the US Postal Services.

Regulations for your personal mail on Tour must follow the same Regulations, but there is some differences.  While on Tour you do not need to use 'postage' and your friends and family can also mail to you without postage, if they use the CFPO.  If they do not use the CFPO, they must apply the appropriate postage.  If any parcels are sent outside of the boundaries of Canada, one still has to fill out the appropriate Customs forms.  So to put it to you once again; you will have to follow the regulations as set out by Canada Post or the US Postal Service, whichever one you are using.

CFPO = Canadian Forces Postal Office (the one in Belleville that dispatch military mail acrois Canada)
APO = Army Postal Office (many across USA)

Max

Ummm...last time I checked, I paid to get my parcels out of theater, along with the normal customs forms being filled out. Letters we're free.

AFAIK.....you can't get mail from APO into the CFPO unless it's to a unit and not an individual.

Normally APO mail gets shunted to Canada Post for personal mail.

At least that's what happened to a few things sent to me via those means.

Regards

Thanks for the info, really appreciated.  There is an APO in Winnipeg.  I guess I can't use it???

Max

There is a CF MPO (military post office) in Winnipeg located near the main gate of the CF base there. Though it services mainly Canadian military personnel, anybody may use it. Drop in and see the posties, I know they'd be helpful with all your postal questions regarding APO vs CFPO, etc.

SupersonicMax said:
CFPO = Canadian Forces Postal Office (the one in Belleville that dispatch military mail acrois Canada)
APO = Army Postal Office (many across USA)

Max

I use both the US APO and Australian AFPO systems here in theatre. Examples, the AFPO for mail to and from Australia, and the US APO for mail to and from the USA and Canada, and even the UK, as its cheaper and better than the AFPO.

To and from Australia postage is free for any mail up to 2kg, and over that, costs are levied from Sydney to anywhere in Australia, and we can send out up to 20kg parcels at one time. The downside to the AFPO system is time. Up to 3 wks to get mail, even a letter, where I have recieved mail from the APO via Canada and the USA in 4-7 days.

The cost of a parcel from the USA to my APO in Iraq is the same as anywhere in the  USA. I can send letters out to the USA for free. To and from Canada for letters and parcels with the cost it would be to send to the USA.

Its cheaper and much faster than the ADF AFPO for anything overseas, and suits me well.

The catch being for APO usage is you must belong to a unit within the APO's area, or it becomes dead mail, and is returned to origin, so not anyone can use it.

Cheers,

Wes

Back