• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Military Family Loses Everything In U-Haul Robbery

MAJONES

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
That's rough, hopefully insurance covers most of it, and some of the priceless stuff gets found in the local pawn shops.  Unfortunately talking to a lot of people coming up en route to AK, the local gangs seem to target foreigners.  While not common, I have seen it happen more than once now.

Unfortunately, nothing says, "I packed this myself with all my worldly possessions, which are worth a lot of money," more than a U-Haul truck or trailer.  It really is a target.  Some places (e.g. Florida) have actually stopped putting rental company identification on cars precisely to avoid having them targeted.

Sad as this is, it does provide two lessons:

1)  We in the CF really have it pretty good when it comes to move benefits.  Generally, there is no advantage to any of us in packing, loading and transporting our household goods and effects.  It's all professionally done, insured and transported by secure means (generally not parked outside a motel in dubious areas); and

2)  Hopefully, this serves as an example of why we should not move toward a "Do-it-yourself" move system (that the US Armed Forces DO have - a "DITY Move).  I suspect that this US Army family was attempting a DITY Move in hopes of making a profit (the US Armed Forces provide a financial incentive for DITY Moves).

Back