• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/264771/american-uprising-daniel-greenfield#.WCNvZF3wfDY.facebook

It’s midnight in America. The day before fifty million Americans got up and stood in front of the great iron wheel that had been grinding them down. They stood there even though the media told them it was useless. They took their stand even while all the chattering classes laughed and taunted them.

They were fathers who couldn’t feed their families anymore. They were mothers who couldn’t afford health care. They were workers whose jobs had been sold off to foreign countries. They were sons who didn’t see a future for themselves. They were daughters afraid of being murdered by the “unaccompanied minors” flooding into their towns. They took a deep breath and they stood.

They held up their hands and the great iron wheel stopped.

The Great Blue Wall crumbled. The impossible states fell one by one. Ohio. Wisconsin. Pennsylvania. Iowa. The white working class that had been overlooked and trampled on for so long got to its feet. It rose up against its oppressors and the rest of the nation, from coast to coast, rose up with it.

Who were these people? They were leftovers and flyover country. They didn’t have bachelor degrees and had never set foot in a Starbucks. They were the white working class. They didn’t talk right or think right. They had the wrong ideas, the wrong clothes and the ridiculous idea that they still mattered.

They were wrong about everything. Illegal immigration? Everyone knew it was here to stay. Black Lives Matter? The new civil rights movement. Manufacturing? As dead as the dodo. Banning Muslims? What kind of bigot even thinks that way? Love wins. Marriage loses. The future belongs to the urban metrosexual and his dot com, not the guy who used to have a good job before it went to China or Mexico.

They couldn’t change anything. A thousand politicians and pundits had talked of getting them to adapt to the inevitable future. Instead they got in their pickup trucks and drove out to vote.

And they changed everything.

Thanks for that Cupper

By the way - you couldn't have fixed my thick finger mistakes while you were at it?  :'(

dapaterson said:
As with any new job, he's in for a huge learning curve.  And will be confronted with "Events, dear boy, events!" which may well pull him away from the various and contradictory promises made on the campaign trail ...
And that's true of any new person in the post, no matter what colour jersey they're wearing.

And along those lines ...
"Muslim ban statement removed from Donald Trump's website"
But does anything really disappear from the interwebs?  Google Cache version attached for posterity.

Attachments

• ​Donald J. Trump Statement on Preventing Muslim Immigration _ Donald J Trump for President.pdf
    619.1 KB · Views: 119
Brad Sallows said:
.... all the other crap about the Republican nominee-of-the-day being racist, misogynist....
Brad Sallows said:
..... keep going to the "racist, misogynist" well for explanations.
Do you honestly believe that Trump is not racist and/or misogynist -- the portrayal is all some .              .*  conspiracy?

* Choose any combination of evil conspirator(s):  leftist; establishment; feminist; Muslim; immigrant; Latino; media.

Interesting, in retrospect: if you were to say that the election was a competition between a TV star and an individual who received millions in funding from Wall Street, you'd probably assume very different party affiliations...

I was just watching an interview with Michael Duffy, co author of "The President's Club".

The book makes a very good point, that the people who assend to the office really do not know what it is like to sit in that chair behind the desk in the Oval Office. It is a very lonely position, and going into it you think you know everything you need to know. But the office will soon prove that you know nothing.

It is a very exclusive club, with membership at any given time numbering in the single digits. And these are the people you can lean on when things become difficult, because they have been in the same position when you have to make the hard decisions that will effect the lives of millions in significant ways.

He gives some historic examples of times when incoming Presidents felt that they didn't need to meet with the outgoing President to discuss the realities of what you are about to enter. Truman & Eisenhower, Johnson & Nixon.

Obama extended the invitation for a visit today, partly to help begin healing the rift in the country, and partly to give advice to Trump about the realities of being President.

(Although if you are a conspiracy nut, you may believe that Obama plans to take him out  ;D)

Chispa said:
Think it's 60 votes for the senate, revoking or getting out of NAFTA is plausible, however will take time and legal maneuvering, etc....

Except that some republican senators represent states with industries that benefit from NAFTA and won't be ready or willing to support the president on this.

Chispa said:
Did U know LBJ was a pervert, exhibitionist, when possible, willing to showoff his best friend "Jumbo," & that's what he called it [lol:

He is well ranked by historians,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

How Do Historians Evaluate the Administration of Lyndon Johnson?
http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/439#sthash.QFbtmxQm.dpuf

Historian Survey Results
https://web.archive.org/web/20110209101510/http://legacy.c-span.org/PresidentialSurvey/president/Lyndon_Johnson.aspx

I wonder how future historians will rank Mr. Trump's administration?

dapaterson said:
As with any new job, he's in for a huge learning curve. 

Donald Trump is the first person elected president with zero government or military experience.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/11/08/donald-trump-experience-president/93504134/

Hehe.

Here from CNN.  It's worth the read.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/liberals-chill-out-about-trump-victory-stanley/index.html

Journeyman said:
Do you honestly believe that Trump is not racist and/or misogynist -- the portrayal is all some .              .*  conspiracy?

* Choose any combination of evil conspirator(s):  leftist; establishment; feminist; Muslim; immigrant; Latino; media.

I can't speak for Brad but I believe in these:

Always remember the first rule of power tactics: Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.

The second rule is: Never go outside the experience of your people. When an action is outside the experience of the people, the result is confusion, fear, and retreat.

The third rule is: Wherever possible go outside the experience of the enemy. Here you want to cause confusion, fear, and retreat.

The fourth rule is: Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules. You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity.

The fourth rule carries within it the fifth rule: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counterattack ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, who then react to your advantage.

The sixth rule is: A good tactic is one that your people enjoy. If your people are not having a ball doing it, there is something very wrong with the tactic.

The seventh rule: A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag. Man can sustain militant interest in any issue for only a limited time, after which it becomes a ritualistic commitment, like going to church on Sunday mornings.

The eighth rule: Keep the pressure on, with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.

The ninth rule: The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.

The tenth rule: The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition. It is this unceasing pressure that results in the reactions from the opposition that are essential for the success of the campaign.

The eleventh rule is: If you push a negative hard and deep enough it will break through into its counterside; this is based on the principle that every positive has its negative.

The twelfth rule: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative. You cannot risk being trapped by the enemy in his sudden agreement with your demand and saying "You're right — we don't know what to do about this issue. Now you tell us."

The thirteenth rule: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.

And I also believe in the power of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert who, in my opinion, have built their careers on raising the mob.  I found it a bit rich when Stephen Colbert looked as if he had finally had a come-to-Jesus moment on election night and found himself trying to quell the mob that he has been responsible, in part, for raising.

If he wants to know who to blame for the coarsening of debate he needs to look in the mirror.  That coarsening has demanded the thickening of skins among candidates and what the process has created is a candidate with a very tough hide indeed. 

It remains to be seen if this elephant can be ridden.

Edit: My other culprit is Moveon.org.  Who are explicit in their goal of raising the mob.

Chris Pook said:
I can't speak for Brad but I believe in these:

And I also believe in the power of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert who, in my opinion, have built their careers on raising the mob.  I found it a bit rich when Stephen Colbert looked as if he had finally had a come-to-Jesus moment on election night and found himself trying to quell the mob that he has been responsible, in part, for raising.

If he wants to know who to blame for the coarsening of debate he needs to look in the mirror.  That coarsening has demanded the thickening of skins among candidates and what the process has created is a candidate with a very tough hide indeed. 

It remains to be seen if this elephant can be ridden.

Edit: My other culprit is Moveon.org.  Who are explicit in their goal of raising the mob.

True words. The sensationalist Media / Comedians are raising the mob.

Chris Pook said:
And I also believe in the power of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert who, in my opinion, have built their careers on raising the mob. 
If we're going to list, I'd even add Bill Maher - even if he can be funny.  I've heard/read a fair bit of dissing and "we know better than you do what you need" from the left, indeed.

If we ARE going to list members of the commentariat, though, I don't see how any of these folks have made the conversation more civil ...
170px-Ann_Coulter2.jpg

226px-Rush-limbaugh.jpg

31PwEi0BArL._UX250_.jpg

Bill-OReilly-e1439491856373.jpeg

I'd agree.

I would just point out that Alinsky published his rules in 1971.  Three years after 1968 and Paris, Watts, Detroit, and the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

He rather eclipsed Robert's Rules of Order, published 100 years earlier.

We have gone from a society that aims to minimize friction by allowing the rough with the smooth to rub along together to a society that elevates the creation of friction to an art form.  A society that encourages the venting of passions rather than controlling them.

Our society has surely evolved as you describe.  As a child I was raised with the most dominate figures being put on a pedestal were A: A strong, loving mother being selfless and always putting her family first, or B: A strong, quiet spoken, highly moral father who stuffed his emotions, would never cry or tell his loved ones that he loved them.  Subjects such as Sex, Religion and Politics were carefully discussed, or not discussed at all.

Today, it is a total free for all. Any sense of decorum is gone out the window. All we have left is the new age Millennial Speak  akin to George Orwell's 1984. Sad times.

milnews.ca, I would agree with two for sure of your choices. Hannity was firmly behind Trump and made no bones about it.  Would not incl Bill O'Reilly at all in that list. You would know that if you watched his show.

Too many criticize FOX News without watching it. FOX News have both sides on for almost every segment, unlike other networks. FOX News is No 1 in the USA.

Rifleman62 said:
FOX News is No 1 in the USA.

FJAG said:
This used to give me some concern until I found out that Fox's viewership only runs around an average of two million and that the median age of it's viewers is 65+ (I've seen some stats that say the low 70s). That raises a worrying concern that if only 2 mil old codgers watch Fox and it's the most watched then where does the average American get his/her information from?

:cheers:

Fox News average age
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fox+news+average+age&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=gQjsV_nWMcqC8Qeu2ofABA&gws_rd=ssl

Here's a great clip of Obama burning Trump (complete with mic drop) about Trump not being a president.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCtVhTiVjQI

Pretty funny to see videos with people crying and losing their shit because Trump won.  I think people over at Berkley are reporting throwing up and getting PTSD.  Good stuff.

I knew this would happen.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-top-cable-news-programs-for-october-2016-were/309592

Top Cable News Programs For October 2016 Were…

Fox News programming continues to rank at the top of the cable news landscape, but CNN and MSNBC series made some in-roads in October, particularly when it came to performance among younger viewers.

Fox News remained dominant in total audience rankings for October 2016. FNC claimed 8 of the top 10 cable news programs for the month in total audience, once again led by The O’Reilly Factor. The Kelly File finished No. 2 in total viewers, followed by Hannity, Special Report with Bret Baier, The Five, and On the Record with Brit Hume. MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show was the most-watched non-Fox News program, followed by its lead-out The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, with Fox News’ America’s Newsroom and Your World with Neil Cavuto rounding out the top 10.

The Kelly File was the No. 1 cable news program for the month of October among adults 25-54, up +71 percent from October 2015, and ahead of Bill O’Reilly by +20,000 viewers. Fox News took the top 3 spots in A25-54 (The O’Reilly Factor and Hannity followed Kelly), but Anderson Cooper 360, which averaged 571,000 viewers, was the highest-rated non-Fox News program of the month and ranked No. 4 overall. MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show ranked 5th in the demo, followed by CNN Tonight with Don Lemon, Erin Burnett Outfront, Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, with Fox News’ Special Report with Bret Baier and On the Record with Brit Hume rounded out the top 10. That’s 5 from Fox News, 3 from CNN and 2 from MSNBC. Not quite the dominance we have become accustomed to.

Additionally, Erin Burnett Outfront grew +131 percent in the demo from October 2015, and beat On the Record. Burnett’s win represents CNN’s first victory over Fox News in the demo at 7 p.m. since 2001.

Cable News Ranker: Oct. 2016 (Adults 25-54) See Link

Cable News Ranker: Oct. 2016 (Total Viewers) See Link

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/q3-2016-ratings-fox-news-is-most-watched-cable-network/305851

Q3 2016 Ratings: Fox News Is Most-Watched Cable Network

It was a controversy-filled summer for Fox News Channel, but that didn’t deter viewers from flocking to the network. Fox News was the most-watched basic cable network for Q3 2016, both in prime time and across total day. Not only did the network beat all cable news and entertainment competition in total audience, but FNC improved 25 percent in prime time, and by 29 percent in total day vs. the 3rd quarter of 2015. The network also delivered year-over-year improvement in the key A25-54 demo, up 50 percent in prime time and up 31 percent in total day. Averaging 1.41 million viewers every day for the last three months, made this the most-watched quarter ever for the 20-year-old network.

The ratings for Q3, 2016 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):

Prime time (Mon-Sun): 2,437,000 total viewers / 459,000 A25-54
    Total Day (Mon-Sun): 1,410,000 total viewers /276,000 A25-54

Fox News’ year-over-year improvement was given a boost by campaign 2016 which, in the last three months, included the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. Fox News beat CNN and MSNBC in total viewers across the 8 nights of 2016 convention coverage, and delivered a 5 percent improvement in total prime time viewers compared to its convention 2012 coverage.

The O’Reilly Factor remained the No. 1 cable news program for the quarter in total viewers, while The Kelly File finished No. 1 in the A25-54 demo. Hannity won the news demo for September, likely helped by consistent appearances from GOP nominee Donald Trump.

Additionally, every Fox News program improved by double-digits in both viewers and the demo compared to the same quarter last year, and multiple programs delivered their most-watched quarters ever in viewers including America’s Newsroom, Happening Now, Shepard Smith Reporting, The Five, The Kelly File, Hannity, MediaBuzz and Justice with Judge Jeanine.

http://www.thewrap.com/cable-ratings-fox-news-beats-cnn-and-msnbc-combined-in-primetime/

Cable Ratings: Fox News Beats CNN and MSNBC Combined in Primetime

BOOKIES 'TRUMPED' Paddy Power stung for £3.5MILLION as Trump shock victory leaves bookies out of pocket

One British superfan has bagged more than £100,000 after betting on Trump

BY HOLLY CHRISTODOULOU  9th November 2016, 11:01 am

Punters backing the controversial tycoon will take home thousands of pounds after the shock presidential result.

The traditional bookmaking industry in the UK took around £20 million in total leading up the election.

Paddy Power have been stung with their biggest ever political payout – handing over £3.6 million to British Trump supporters.

The bookmaker had already paid out more than £800,000 early to customers who backed Clinton.

John Mappin will take home more than £103,000 following his 33 successful bets

The hotel owner, from Cornwall, put 33 bets on the billionaire over 18 months to win.

Scientologist John said: “I’m not a betting man but I checked the odds at William Hill and they had him at 20 to 1 for the nominations and 33 to 1 for the presidency, so what I did was rather cheekily took the whole book and put about 33 bets on him.

“I can’t remember exactly but I’m already quite a long way ahead of the situation, because obviously, he did win the nominations so whatever happens I can’t lose, but I think we stand to make about £103,000 if he does come in.”

Sun Bets said Clinton had about an 83 per cent chance of winning at the odds-on price of 1/5 early last night, but as news broke at around 2am, Trump became favourite at 8/11.

A spokesman added: “It’s fair to say that Sun Bets has been Trumped!

“It wasn’t the result we expected or wanted having laid a number of four-figure bets on Trump in the lead-up to the election and throughout last night – the result goes down as one of our biggest losses since launching in August.

“I would imagine that Trump’s victory has cost the industry tens of millions, but thankfully due to us having only been operational for just over three months, our loss will be nothing compared to some of our competitors, who have a much larger established customer base.

“Then as news broke at around 2am, the odds took a full swing. That was a huge indication as to how things would work out, but UK punters didn’t follow suit and started to come in for Clinton.

“Thankfully our loss was reduced by taking a handful of four-figure bets on Clinton in the early hours of the morning, but it wasn’t enough to save us from one of our worst days of trading since launch.”

William Hill took £4 million on the outcome of the US Election – a record total for any political betting event.

They are also having to pay out £101,750 a Nottingham betting shop customer who staked £37,000 in two bets on Trump at odds of 7/4.

A spokesman said: “Donald Trump started as a 150/1 no hoper, but was very well backed, albeit in smaller amounts than we accepted for long-time favourite Hillary Clinton. This campaign absolutely decimated all previous political betting records and shows what a popular betting subject politics is.

“The US Election statistics reflect almost identically the division of stakes and bets for Brexit. The odds on the day for the two candidates were almost identical to the Remain/Leave odds on EU Ref day. Brexit became favourite for the first time just before 2am on EU Ref night, Trump at just after 2am on polling night.”

Paddy Power paid customers who backed Hillary to win £800,000 on September 18 because they were so confident of a Clinton victory.

But leading up to the election, Trump’s odds on winning shortened from 5/1 to 5/2, while Clinton’s lengthened from 2/9 to 1/3 after the FBI re-opened the probe into her private email server.

Spokesman for Paddy Power Féilim Mac An Iomaire told the Irish Sun: “We’re in the business of making predictions and decided to put our neck on the line by paying out early on Hillary Clinton, but boy did we get it wrong.

“We’ve been well and truly thumped by Trump with his victory leaving us with the biggest political payout in the company’s history and some very, very expensive egg on our faces.”

Ladbrokes said Trump is on course to cause the biggest upset in political betting history – a dubious title Jeremy Corbyn once held as the 100/1 outsider for the Labour party leadership.

One punter placed £120,000 on Clinton to storm to victory at odds of 1/6 late last night but cashed out and placed £80,000 on Trump at 5/4 – taking home £180,000 in total.

Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said: “Betting on political markets continues to soar and spring surprises. It was a busier night than both our General Election and the Brexit vote, easily making it the biggest non-sporting event we have ever witnessed.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2147833/paddy-power-stung-for-3-5million-as-trump-shock-victory-leaves-bookies-out-of-pocket/

Another article mentioned that Paddy had been seeing the bets on Trump coming in for a while but decided to ignore the evidence and held their odds.

Back