• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army to buy upgraded 550+ Paladins that include NLOS cannons

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Apparently the US Army still has a use for the Paladin in this century...

Defense News

US Army Breaking Out the Big New Guns
Apr. 27, 2014 - 04:26PM  |  By PAUL McLEARY

(...EDITED)

Beginning in August, the old Paladin chassis will begin to be shipped to the Anniston Army Depot, Ala., where they’ll be stripped of usable parts for the new system. The same engine, transmission, drives and tracks used on the most recently upgraded M2/M3 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles will be incorporated onto the new vehicle.

The new Paladin also brings back the electric gun drive system from the Non-Line of Sight cannon canceled in 2009 as part of the scrapped $20 billion Future Combat Systems program. NLOS replaces the old hydraulic firing system.

Once those parts are harvested, the new Bradley chassis built at BAE Systems’ facility in York, Pa., will be sent to a new production facility the company is building in Eglin, Okla., for final assembly.

Using existing parts on new systems is a production method the Army is also employing on its Stryker V-Hull program — also at Anniston — and Bassett said “the idea of leveraging both our organic base and our commercial base together for a platform is really kind of the new normal. Most of the programs we run right now leverage both of those capacities.”

While weighing about 10,000 pounds heavier than its predecessor, the new Paladin — at 78,000 pounds — has been built with the capacity to grow to about 110,000 pounds while traveling at about 38 mph.
That is actually faster than the previous model while being more maneuverable than the current Bradley, according to Adam Zarfoss, director of artillery programs at BAE.

(...EDITED)

Overall, the Army plans to buy 551 new Paladins by 2027, with the first models starting production by March.
The low-rate initial production award calls for BAE to deliver 66 Paladins along with their ammunition carrier vehicles, also based on the Bradley chassis, which will roll off the assembly line at a rate of three per month. The schedule calls for the work in Anniston to begin in May and York in June.

(...EDITED)

Mobile railguns are what we really need. :camo:
Check that,what would be more useful would be armored air cushion vehicles.Definite shock and awe material.

Can we jump on this? I heard a rumor from a tech I know in shilo that they might try bringing the 109 back into service here

MilEME09 said:
Can we jump on this? I heard a rumor from a tech I know in shilo that they might try bringing the 109 back into service here
Who is "they" and what was your tech's source for this rumour?  It sounds more like someone's fanciful thinking.

MilEME09 said:

Bit of FYI for your "tech" friend, the Canadian M109 fleet was literally scrapped about four years ago

IMO the truck or track MRLS would be a much better focus of our limited resources.If we must have a tracked 155 why not the German PzH 2000,but I do like the wheeled NLOS cannon as well.

NLOS replaces the old hydraulic firing system.
I assume the barrel is also being replaced with the NLOS lightweight composite wrapped barrel.
With the exception of the hull and turret, it sounds like everything else will be new.
Effectively, a whole new SPH in old armour.

Add another 40 to the order and we could have the capacity back again. I wonder if they are going to use Bradely hulls to act as M548 replacements?

I do know that the 109 isn't coming back but they haven't all been scrapped either. There's still about 20-25 of them sitting in Mtl, some nicely refurbished ones as well, besides why would any arty det need protection from CB when the cam net on the M777 provides that quite nicely  ;)

Three words:

1.  Military
2.  Industrial
3.  Complex

Back