• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army Colonel to eat 40 YEAR OLD CAKE for retirement bash (seriously!)

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
;D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32123138/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001

Crumbs! Retirement marked with 1969 cake
Vietnam War pilot eating favorite pound cake from 40-year-old C-rations

The Associated Press
updated 7:04 a.m. PT, Fri., July 24, 2009
WASHINGTON - An Army colonel who's retiring after 40 years in uniform is hoping to get his just "desserts" at a Pentagon ceremony.

Col. Henry Moak served as a pilot during the Vietnam War. Back in those days, he had a favorite dessert among the military's C-rations: Pound cake. "It was the best," he says.

Moak saved a C-ration kit from 1969, and was expected to open it Friday. He hopes to find a cake that's still preserved and "ready to eat" — which he intends to do. That's assuming it's not all black and moldy.

Moak figures some old Marine buddies will join him. But for those without the stomach, there will also be standard issue cake, circa 2009.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

HUYA!!!
Eat the cake that was around when you joined!
Typical Marine.    :salute:
Actually, it's not an off the wall idea...I think it is rather cool and sentimental. 
:salute:

I wonder if any will take pics of the cake?

If that cake has gone bad, he's going to really enjoy his first bit of retirement ;)

It seems that he ate the cake with no ill effects (so far).  However, more importantly, he opened the can with the proper implement.
-------------------------------------------------------------

art.oldcake2.jpg

Retiring Army Col. Henry Moak uses a vintage P-38 to break the seal on government cake saved since 1973

art.oldcake.cnn.jpg

Pound cake served in a can was standard fare in military C-rations during the Vietnam War

art.oldcake3.jpg

Army Col. Henry Moak says of the cake: "It's good, it's still kind of moist."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if anyone wants to join him in celebrating the joys of vintage military canned baked goods, this is available on eBay.

3 Vintage Army USMC Military Surplus C Rations DESERTS
3 Piece C Rats POUND CAKE FRUIT CAKE CHOCOLATE NUT ROLL
Item condition: -- Time left: 5 days 17 hours (Jul 30, 200915:52:41 PDT)
Price: US $19.99

That was a favourite of mine too!  We had C rats in Germany in the 70's.  What a great idea he had! 

My mother was, and still is, a good cook. I remember how mad she used to get when I came home raving how good food served in mess tins tasted!  Perhaps it was just the good company and fresh air that made it seem so delicious!

Back