• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Upgrading Security Clearance After Component Transfer

howells

Inactive
Reaction score
Bit of background: was a reservist for 5 years while completing high-school and 3 years of college. Then completed Component transfer into ROTP program at RMC.

Recently been told I have to upgrade my security clearance from secret.
I was given instructions to list ALL my previous Military courses and tasking locations as separate employment.
I was also told I have to list each of the locations of my courses/tasking locations as previous residences.

Is this true or is the an RMC-ism? Being my employer has never changed and I've been only on temporary duty while on course or tasked?

howells said:
Bit of background: was a reservist for 5 years while completing high-school and 3 years of college. Then completed Component transfer into ROTP program at RMC.

Recently been told I have to upgrade my security clearance from secret.
I was given instructions to list ALL my previous Military courses and tasking locations as separate employment.
I was also told I have to list each of the locations of my courses/tasking locations as previous residences.

Is this true or is the an RMC-ism? Being my employer has never changed and I've been only on temporary duty while on course or tasked?

You do not need to do this if they we're temporary taskings.

However, you can't simply list your current employed as "Canadian Armed Forces - 2011-2017". You'll need to have an entry for your time in the reserve, and a new entry for your time so far at RMC.

This is because your Employment location MUST match with your Residence location. So, 1. Employment: Reserve Unit X in City X from 2012-2016; Residence: City X from Birth to 2016. 2. Employment at RMC in Kingston from 2016-Present; Residence: Kingston from 2016-2017.

For your time in the reserves, unless you took a class B or C contract somewhere away from city-X where your permanent residence actually changed, then you do not need to list every course or minor tasking that you went on.

So, if you went away for the summer to do your DP1, you do not have to list that as a separate employment. Your employment was with your reserve unit, and your permanent residence was in the same area as your reserve unit. You do not need to list DP1 as a separate employment.

It's not an RMC-ism, it's just the fact that there's no formal training for USS, the aide-memoire's for the application software are pretty sparse, and any help from the security people in Ottawa depends on who you ask.

CV: I'm my unit's USS.

There is also a "box" where you can do a "STATATORY DECLARATION" to explain anything that you may not think was clearly explained on the forms.  If you need to use that option, talk it over with the USS so that you have a better idea what is required.

Back