• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updating RCMP ‘militaristic’ training is long overdue, experts say

And all I want is a decent quality blue shirt.

The RCMP's current grey looks terrible, is terrible quality, and lasts me maybe 2-3 months each.

You also start running into health and safety issues with uniforms too. Cops have the right to health and safety like every other worker. The consequence being the uniforms which look least aggressive also tend to be the least protective (brighter colours, body armour, etc.).

I know my city basically doesn’t have street walking cops. There is too few cops that are constantly responding to calls. I would also say they don’t own the streets either, based off the tent the addicts and thugs put beside the road on a main street and were literally doing meth in public (it was like that for a month as well) tells me a lot about who was actually in control.
sadly, or rightfully depending on your POV, the law against vagrancy went off the books many years back. believe just about when Charter of Criminals aka Rights came on line.........since then being homeless is not a crime, now meth consumption, still is, at least east of BC.

And all I want is a decent quality blue shirt.

The RCMP's current grey looks terrible, is terrible quality, and lasts me maybe 2-3 months each.
so - the Horsefolk are going to a navy top?

so - the Horsefolk are going to a navy top?
My understanding is the head shed (in the case of uniform and dress matters that's the warrant group) is desperate to retain the grey shirts. There was a public opinion study commissioned that told them the public didn't really care what colour the shirt was as long as the member looked professional and acted respectfully. There also evidence from individuals who have shot at RCMP members who stated the shirts and stripes made us blindingly obvious targets. And yet, they insist upon grey. The contrast between our blue outer SBA carriers and grey shirts makes it really obvious where the armour isn't, as well.

Pre-covid they talked about trialing new shirts in a couple different styles and colours including moisture wicking material under armour, blues, greys, more tactical looking shirts, etc. Haven't heard anything about it since.

Personal opinion? For patrol keep the stripe, go to a blue shirt that can comfortably be worn under armour and is vaguely human shaped. All the other units that wear blue and don't want to look like GD can wear something else, because GD is the only part of the RCMP that's both operational and forced to wear these stupid things.

Last edited:
My understanding is the head shed (in the case of uniform and dress matters that's the warrant group) is desperate to retain the grey shirts. There was a public opinion study commissioned that told them the public didn't really care what colour the shirt was as long as the member looked professional and acted respectfully. There also evidence from individuals who have shot at RCMP members who stated the shirts and stripes made us blindingly obvious targets. And yet, they insist upon grey. The contrast between our blue outer SBA carriers and grey shirts makes it really obvious where the armour isn't, as well.

Pre-covid they talked about trialing new shirts in a couple different styles and colours including moisture wicking material under armour, blues, greys, more tactical looking shirts, etc. Haven't heard anything about it since.

Personal opinion? For patrol keep the stripe, go to a blue shirt that can comfortably be worn under armour and is vaguely human shaped. All the other units that wear blue and don't want to look like GD can wear something else, because GD is the only part of the RCMP that's both operational and forced to wear these stupid things.

As long as there's a nicely Windsor knotted tie, who really cares? ;)

cant help but wondering if the same hand wringing went on when switching from the light tan shirts to current light grey.......i love buttons and bows for parade. working in uni - utilitarian all the way...... navy tops and bottoms, loose the stripes. let the SSM's and up wear the light coloured shirts and fancy stripes......

As long as there's a nicely Windsor knotted tie, who really cares? ;)
Officer safety issue, the issued tie is a clip on so if it gets grabbed it pops off. But I'm confident when that decision was made there was a good amount of complaining to be heard from the various Sergeants Major.

Also I just want to point out that even in the Policing/RCMP part of the forum, the first law of Army.ca that all threads must devolve into a discussion of dress and deportment has been adhered to. Well done, gents.

Also I just want to point out that even in the Policing/RCMP part of the forum, the first law of Army.ca that all threads must devolve into a discussion of dress and deportment has been adhered to. Well done, gents.

Classic Film Bow GIF by Warner Archive

They can work from home in sweatpants for all the “work” they do. Oooooh snap.
funny part was. in 70's 80's, there were practically no "Warrant Officers" minus the Depot SM and the HQ Corps SM. Seemed like the ceremonial continued in the hands of the lower end NCO's

How about a version that is similar to the shirts the CAF wear under armor?

Back