• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Upcoming Changes to the Dress Manual

Eye In The Sky said:
I question the whole concept of being able to order someone to buy something, required for the service, with their own funds personally.

Prior to unification, officers had to buy all of their uniforms, not just mess dress.  One story goes (I'm not sure of its veracity) that the only reason officers began to be issued uniforms was because either they weren't buying their green ones fast enough or that there was an assumption that they simply wouldn't.

The Australians issue all uniforms, including mess dress.  The Brits only recently just started issuing uniforms to officers and several of the officers I've talked to about it aren't that thrilled (they don't like the cut or quality).

Not that is makes a huge difference in our discussion, but years ago, a friend of mine was commissioned into the Royal Corps of Transport and bought the appropriate mess dress.  Shortly thereafter, the RCT was amalgamated with several other corps to become the Royal Logistic Corps, with a newly designed mess dress that he was again required to buy.  There was no grandfather clause, so every officer in the new corps was out about £1000 to replace a perfectly good set of clothes.  In Canada at least, we tend to grandfather things like this.  I knew one AdminO who continued to wear old RCAF pattern mess dress well into the 1990s.

Crap! I worked with [removed] at Meaford. This is a shocker. Unacceptable that he would do this.

Humphrey Bogart said:
:rofl:

Well in a couple of weeks I won't be wearing the 8 pointed star anymore so I won't even try a retort!

Star? I thought it was a Shuriken ;)

Pusser said:
In Canada at least, we tend to grandfather things like this.  I knew one AdminO who continued to wear old RCAF pattern mess dress well into the 1990s.

I was a little miffed when I was told that I could have kept on wearing my RCN Mess Kit when I OT'd, after having bought the RCAF Mess Kit not a month before. 

Hey guys i read alot of reddit post and heard lots of rumour at work about change in grooming policy (hair and beard mostly).

I did some research last week and I found the,integral minutes from the dress and ceremonial committee , the SM of the army has been task to establish new grooming policy including  beard for male the goal is to make the wear of the beard more accessible to military member.those minute were from november 2017 with the committee meeting twice a year and their second meeting seem to be around may and June, if looking back at past year we should see  update in the dress manual relatively soon

Its about 50 posts back, immediately before the Army hating, RCN uniform tangent. Posted as a pdf.

Based on how it was written in the minutes, and judging by the positions involved on that committee... I remain extremely skeptical that beards are going to be allowed for your average straight white Christian male. Hopefully that's just my experience in the army that's taught me not to get excited about anything / expect anything, and there is no actual reason to be skeptical...

Navy_Pete said:
Would rock the goatee if that's allowed though; suits my ugly mug and will probably have the fringe benefit of really annoying the same people that don't like officers wearing berets. 

What's the justification in their minds for Officers not to wear berets?  That makes no sense. 

Dimsum said:
What's the justification in their minds for Officers not to wear berets?  That makes no sense.

It's a weird navy thing, where some senior offices expect the officers to wear the peak caps. So wearing the beret with salt and peppers drives some people nuts.  Sort of like a navy headgear version of the parade boots vs oxfords. I have no idea where it comes from, but think it's kind of dumb, so wear the beret once in a while (like while traveling).  It's not too common, but some people hold really strong feelings about it for some reason.

So they think the beret is for us oar-pullers only...and like, it has a sweat band in it and why would an Officer (want or need to) sweat?

;D

I see naval officers all the time who are wearing berets. 

jollyjacktar said:
I see naval officers all the time who are wearing berets.

It is nevertheless, an abomination.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

Pusser said:
It is nevertheless, an abomination.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a fucking headache within a very short time.

jollyjacktar said:
The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a fucking headache within a very short time.

It is the Capt Stubing Effect - you either Love (Boat) it or don't!

Attachments

• stubing effect.jpg
    stubing effect.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 170
jollyjacktar said:
The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a ******* headache within a very short time.

Take the plastic tube out, it fits much better and it gives your hat a bit of a more salty flair.
I've done this since my first day wearing it in Chilliwack and never have had a problem.

I ended up buying a hat form that was able to conform the bastard to that of the human anatomy and not a SNL Cone Head character.  But thank you for the advise.

Back