• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unrest in Kazakhstan

Tally Ho!

I'm surprised they didn't put air quotes around 'independence'.

Russian troops move to put down violent uprising in Kazakhstan

Central Asian country is experiencing the worst street protests since gaining independence 3 decades ago​

The Associated Press · Posted: Jan 06, 2022 1:06 AM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Fresh violence erupted in Kazakhstan's main city on Thursday after Russia rushed in paratroopers to put down a countrywide uprising in one of Moscow's closest former Soviet allies.

Security forces killed dozens of protesters and 18 police died during extraordinarily violent demonstrations in Kazakhstan that saw government buildings stormed and set ablaze, authorities said Thursday. Two police officers were found beheaded in escalating unrest that poses a growing challenge to authoritarian rule in the Central Asian nation.

Despite the severe response from authorities, protesters took to the streets again in the country's largest city, Almaty, a day after breaking into the presidential residence and the mayor's office there.

They will treat our interference like the US would the USSR getting involved in Nicaragua.

Quite a few of our Coast Guard hovercraft pilots took contracts there in the 90's in support of resource exploration, I recall my brother going there to advise on a tailing dam repair around 2014 as I recall.

Quite a few of our Coast Guard hovercraft pilots took contracts there in the 90's in support of resource exploration, I recall my brother going there to advise on a tailing dam repair around 2014 as I recall.
My next door neighbour in Brandon was a doctor who decided to change his lifestyle and went to Kazakhstan for two years on contract.

His description of his time there could best be called "interesting". After two years they moved to the UAE to run a clinic. Martyn has now retired to the UK and makes high quality ukuleles. Eclectic.

🍻

Tidbits from overnight ....

Some updates from RUS state media (grain of salt caveats apply - all links to archived versions of stories)

Oh come on - you can't leave us hanging like that!
I worked with a young ethnic Russian from the Kaz a few years back. They choose to come to Canada instead of mother Russia. The kid was around 20 when his family came here so his parents were older and willing to take the chance of coming to a completely foreign country in their late 40s, which is no small feat. He said they basically came here as 'persecuted people' as the Kaz gov't was kicking most ethnic Russians from all positions of power or prestige within the country and basically implementing a policy of 'Kazkhfing' the entire country.

Pretty elite peacekeepers, Jane's has ID'd elements of the 331st Airborne regiment, as well as the new Russian Central Asian QRF, which includes elements of the 3rd Spetsnaz Brigade.

Seems pretty heavy for peacekeeping, that's like us sending elite troops to peacekeepers in some warn torn African country..........

Pretty elite peacekeepers, Jane's has ID'd elements of the 331st Airborne regiment, as well as the new Russian Central Asian QRF, which includes elements of the 3rd Spetsnaz Brigade.

Seems pretty heavy for peacekeeping, that's like us sending elite troops to peacekeepers in some warn torn African country..........
Maybe they want a bit of ... muscle in case the current management isn't able to completely keep a grip?

Back