• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unrest in Haiti, Again

MIF-H (Op HALO, Haiti, 2004) was not a blue helmet mission. The follow on, Brazilian-led, force was UN, but the US/French/Chilean/Canadian intervention was not a UN mission. In many ways, it felt like a NEO that sort of decided to hang around after the evac was done. Somewhere between trying to make ourselves useful and mission creep.
Was there in 2004 twice. Went patrolling in Cite Soleil both times, and you could feel/see the gang members sizing you up, wondering whether it was worth their time/effort to take the Canadians on.

Was there in 2004 twice. Went patrolling in Cite Soleil both times, and you could feel/see the gang members sizing you up, wondering whether it was worth their time/effort to take the Canadians on.
I reckon that would depend on the ROE, but I think they'd probably not have a good time.

MIF-H (Op HALO, Haiti, 2004) was not a blue helmet mission. The follow on, Brazilian-led, force was UN, but the US/French/Chilean/Canadian intervention was not a UN mission. In many ways, it felt like a NEO that sort of0 decided to hang around after the evac was done. Somewhere between trying to make ourselves useful and mission creep.
I stand corrected. I thought I distinctly remembered them trialing new vests while down there, while at the same time remembering blue helmets.

Darn CERN & their mashing of universes...

Maybe this is why we should get involved, then?

If the gangs down there are robust enough & brazen enough to size up military forces on patrol, I imagine the locals must be feeling pretty trapped. Not to mention any police or security forces still wanting to believe in & live in a better community.

No gangs = better security situation.
Requirement = all that ammo that didn't get used last time...

Maybe this is why we should get involved, then?

If the gangs down there are robust enough & brazen enough to size up military forces on patrol, I imagine the locals must be feeling pretty trapped. Not to mention any police or security forces still wanting to believe in & live in a better community.

No gangs = better security situation.
Requirement = all that ammo that didn't get used last time...
Again please see my point about Somalia…

Armored Vehicle is fairly nebulous. Could be anything from a LAV to a uparmor SOF Hummer.
They are vehicles bought by the Government for the Haitian National Police.

Is there a way we can clearly communicate the message “We don’t want to annex this shithole country” so it’s understood in ALL languages?

Why even get involved ?

Let the Bermuda Regiment handle this.

Tim Robinson Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

Considering how tight lipped CANSOFCOM is about ALL of their missions, I’m going to assume that the Twitterverse is getting triggered over nothing.

They are right. No domestic media reporting on it…

But that doesn’t mean we’re secretly invading a shithole, poor country that would literally give us nothing but problems and absolutely zero reward. It means we have a plane that landed at the airport, and is delivering armoured vehicles most likely for embassy use.

Aka there isn’t any domestic media on this because it isn’t news. It’s a plane delivering an armoured humvee type vehicle, in a country where embassy staff do require additional protection.

🤦🏼‍♂️

Back