• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the BPSO's office yesterday and was told they are hoping to see a CANFORGEN next week.  They are just waiting with the rest of us.

I have contacted both the BPSO office here in Halifax and Greenwood and they have no clue when the message will be cut. It was be nice to know if the program is cancelled this year and if not I hope there is an extension on the norm of Novemeber deadlines.

Hey Everyone,
Talked to the PSO's office today. They still believe the program will be a go this year but the guy I talked to (I've tried to be generic to hide their identity, have at me milnet trolls!) believes that the message will be released soon and that the dates for application submissions will not be amended beyond the usual due dates. Some food for thought.

Earlier this week, the WPSO at 8 Wing sent out an email to all units advising that the message was still "a few weeks away", but to start the application process now in order to not miss the cutoff dates. As for what trades would be open, it stated that essentially it's the same as last year. I will try and post the email from work tomorrow.

kc

As received from the 8 Wing PSO:

"Good morning all
>
> Could you please dissiminate to your members.  Thank you
>
> Info from D Mil C is that msgs announcing subj programs are still several weeks away.  In the interim the WPSO office will be accepting applications immediately so as individuals do not miss the deadlines.  I am informed that for commissioning programs the occupations that will be available will be the same as last year (please find the CFNs attached stating the open occupations for commissioning).
>
> To avoid delays I will need all commissioning applications to the WPSO office NLT 23 Nov 12 and all AVOTP/COTP applications NLT 15 Dec 12.
>
>
> http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2011/138-11_e.asp
>
> http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2011/137-11_e.asp
>
> http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2011/140-11_e.asp "
>

Hello folks!
Started the UTPNCM process, but I'm stumbling with the leadership portion. I've heard people say leadership courses count, and volunteering outside your duties in the community. Unfortunately my last appointment with PSO didn't really explain what they look for.  Any UTPNCM grads/students/hopefuls have any experience they wish to share with examples of what you did to get recognized?

Thanks guys/gals :yellow:

SuperAVS said:
Hello folks!
Started the UTPNCM process, but I'm stumbling with the leadership portion. I've heard people say leadership courses count, and volunteering outside your duties in the community. Unfortunately my last appointment with PSO didn't really explain what they look for.  Any UTPNCM grads/students/hopefuls have any experience they wish to share with examples of what you did to get recognized?

Thanks guys/gals :yellow:

Been a while. I had leadership courses, roles, an volunteer positions all included in my recommedation. However, it was a spectrum of examples - so, for factor one, a substantiating example was furnished. Factor two, etc. Where one instance worked for two factors, so be it.

I am woefully unfamiliar with the present process. I'll try to learn up on it more for Tuesday.

The UT selection process hasn't changed in recent years, unless something very new is coming down the pipe (which is always possible), I can't see the basics of it morphing too drastically.

As with any highly competitive OT competition in the CF, there are far more applicants than there are positions.

What makes the UTP different is the leadership factor. For other OTs, it's mostly based on technical aptitude (SAR Techs and Int Ops are a bit different IMHO, you also need to be partially insane for those trades).

How that leadership is measured is going to be important because that is what is going to make you stand out on the merit board. You are going to want to have more than one example of leadership.

Think of it this way: everyone at the merit board will have 2 full university credits (marks don't really matter unless things are very close points wise), everyone will have a letter from their CO, everyone will have the recommendation from the PSO, CFAT test scores etc etc.

So if everyone have the same basic requirements, how are you going to stand out? Everything from little league coach, soup kitchen volunteer, blood donor for life, leadership courses (PLQ/JLC), leadership positions, OPI voluntolds, ran ball hockey for the regiment, organized the jr jungle run for the kids at family day etc etc.

Don't get leadership confused with rank. I got accepted as a Cpl (many are, I'm not special). But I was also Sect 2IC, Sect IC, various OPI spots over the last few years, multiple charity/community events. I also ran a few half marathons and had 1st year uni done part time.

UT selection, like all merit boards, are all inclusive deals. Just remember, this is not a PER, stuff you did 2-3 (or more) years ago still count!

Canforgen link: http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2012/202-12_e.asp

Let's hope that the process is faster this year, than last.  Good luck everyone!

So, how is everyone doing with their application?  Deadline to PSO, here is Gagetown, is Nov 26th.  I am sitting down with my MWO tomorrow and finishing up the paperwork. 

I was accepted to a local University, so I can now add that to the file.  Does everyone know what they want to be when they grow up?  :)

Well, now that that all applications are in and everyone is in waiting, I'm here wishing there was some way of finding out where i stand with my application ? I know how i did last time around but testing is different this year, and the personality test might just give me an edge. It would be nice if you knew your score going in to the competition. :-\. So any one apply for pilot this year ;)

I don't think there is any way to find out any information until the messages get cut sometime in the spring :(

I applied for PSEL, MPO and AEC, respectively.  Here's hoping :)

Hi All

I was hoping someone here could answer some questions or point me in the right direction.  I have been strongly considering my candidacy for Pharmacy/Nurse via the UTPNCM program and am trying to gather as much information as I can before I make my intentions public.   

1) In order to qualify for the UTPNCM program the applicant must have unconditional acceptance to a university in the program of choice, but since Pharm and and Nursing require at least 1 year (likely 2) years of full time  pre professional studies before they will even be considered for Pharm school, do I only require acceptance for a BSc program at a school that has a pharm program?

2) UTPNCM covers 4 years of subsidized education, potentially 5 in exceptional circumstances, however Pharmacy is a 5 year minimum (As I have no prior post secondary) with a strong likelihood of 6 years if I am not accepted into the program after only 1 year of preprofessional  studies.  Is this accounted for in the application/selection process, or is there an unwritten expectation that anyone who applies for those programs already have the requisite schooling to ensure only a 4 or 5 year plan is required.

3) I read that school transfers are not permissible, however, as the closest Pharm program would incur a cost move, it would make financial sense for the military to allow me to complete the pre professional studies in the city I am currently posted and not move until accepted into a Pharm program.  Has anyone heard of this happening before?  I am not concerned with where I am posted, I was only thinking of trying to save the military a dime... ::)

Thanks for your assistance - Ive already learned quite a bit from what has been posted on this subjet before.  This site has been extremely helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back