• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University students demand lower tuition, fees as classes move online

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Profit in business comes from repeat customers, customers that boast about your product and service, and that bring friends with them” W. Edwards Deming

University students across Canada are calling on their schools to reduce tuition and other fees in light of classes moving online and offering what they say is an inferior education.

Katja Nell, the youngest student at the University of British Columbia, launched an online petition last week asking UBC to decrease tuition for the summer term and refund some fees for the winter term.

"We feel it's unfair that they are charging the same tuition and still going through with their annual tuition increase," Nell said over the phone from her home in Delta, B.C. "The education is now online, which we feel is sub-par."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/university-students-demand-lower-tuition-fees-as-classes-move-online-1.5543239

If I had a leased vehicle that I am currently not using very much because of the pandemic, I wonder if I should expect reduced lease rates.

Our son-in-law teaches an IT course at a college.  While it would be unfair to ask him if the newly-created online version is of the same quality, he and his colleagues put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears developing the online version in a short period, and folks need to be paid.  Also, the physical plant of the university has to be maintained.  Possibly the only argument I would support is a reduction/refund of some student fees,, such as meal plans, transit passes, social facilities, etc.

If some of the kids knew what their degrees will bring them job-wise, they'd probably be asking for a refund and not just a discount.  ;)

I just finished up a course that had to move online two thirds of the way through the semester. There's definitely some value lost in terms of reduced class engagement. Small enough detail if the course is a lecture, but it it's a seminar with interaction, presentations, discussions etc as part and parcel of it, that would be a hell of a lot tougher.

Brihard said:
I just finished up a course that had to move online two thirds of the way through the semester. There's definitely some value lost in terms of reduced class engagement. Small enough detail if the course is a lecture, but it it's a seminar with interaction, presentations, discussions etc as part and parcel of it, that would be a hell of a lot tougher.

Universities and other schools that are already set up to deliver online are doing well. BZ to them for embracing the full spectrum of learning options for their students.

The 'dinosaurs' resist online learning, for various reasons, and are struggling....

[quote author=daftandbarmy]
The 'dinosaurs' resist online learning, for various reasons, and are struggling....
[/quote]
If my homeschooling experience is anything to go by online learning may be what ultimately lead to the demise of the dinosaurs  ;D

I second Brihard's comments. Assignments, minor prof interactions, study resources, etc., no problem in that regard with elements moving strictly online where courses were able to. Most of that stuff already was anyway. But lectures (depending), there was an impact, and seminars definitely. That interaction/face to face brainstorming and resources with classmates, TAs and/or the prof is an essential element to learning for many, and there's a reason why several courses typically include a seminar component.

There's a valid argument to needing to keep all facilities running, but I think it's safe to say that universities are pulling in more just from tuition than what they need to expend, not to mention monies acquired from government, donations, etc. Most universities (at least as far as I'm aware--mine does) has their financials easily available to the public from their websites. And everything's running at reduced capacity right now anyway. Even something as simple as hydro bills would be greatly reduced.

Another noteworthy point--universities have begun covid-19 relief initiatives to students who are running into financial distress. I've only glanced at the program offered at my institution, and I'm not sure how difficult qualifying would be. The student needs to provide documentation substantiating their case. But it's something at least.

I can see an argument in favour of some sort of reimbursed to students to a degree, but not to the extent some are demanding; unless they were absolutely not able to complete their courses due to elements not conducive to online participation (ie I can see a lot of the sciences being affected in terms of needing regular access to labs and such). Perhaps also, the ones who are having graduation delayed indeterminately. It's certainly a frustrating situation for all, and I agree that things need to be kept running in the interim. But only minimally right now.   

I think it depends on the degree/diploma, you can only go so far with some stuff without doing hands on work. I'm in the tail end of a masters that was online for the academics, with some on site lab work. The academics was doable online but would have been easier in person, but the experimental portion is a hard stop until I can get back on site to get it done.  Science degrees, engineering degrees, or any trade diploma that needs hands on/lab work can't really be substituted with VTC.

Inevitably some people will need to delay their completion dates; think that's where people put on their big kid pants and decide whether they should pay for another semester, take it off, or maybe do part-time; really depends on the program, how you learn and where you are at so no one size fits all.  Frustrating sure, but if you are in post-secondary, this is a good life lesson that you need to figure things out for yourself and not rely on others all the time to tell you what to do. It's not like the costs to the university are going down, or this is something that they could have planned for.  :dunno:

Jarnhamar said:
If my homeschooling experience is anything to go by online learning may be what ultimately lead to the demise of the dinosaurs  ;D

Not as long as they have unions that elect lefties.

(By the way, the last time I looked for around 2014, Ontario universities received about 40% of their funding from tuitions, about the same from federal and provincial governments and the last 20% from other sources.)

;D

FJAG said:
Not as long as they have unions that elect lefties.

(By the way, the last time I looked for around 2014, Ontario universities received about 40% of their funding from tuitions, about the same from federal and provincial governments and the last 20% from other sources.)

;D

Thanks FJAG, I worded that I incorrectly in my post. My intent was to get across that they’re well off financially from the monies they receive from all sources. But I put inaccurate emphasis strictly on the tuition end of what they receive.

BeyondTheNow said:
Thanks FJAG, I worded that I incorrectly in my post. My intent was to get across that they’re well off financially from the monies they receive from all sources. But I put inaccurate emphasis strictly on the tuition end of what they receive.

Remember too that a large component of those tuition fees come from foreign students who generally pay significantly more per capita than Canadian students. And just to be clear my figures are quite old.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Remember too that a large component of those tuition fees come from foreign students who generally pay significantly more per capita than Canadian students. And just to be clear my figures are quite old.

:cheers:

For sure. (My “etc.” was meant to cover everything broadly.) The tuition required from international students is a huge benefit to them. My institution has a sizeable international student population. It’s broken down into percentages also, but I can’t give the figure off the top of my head.

I’m sure you’re right, even if you feel your recollection may be outdated. I looked at our financials page very quickly at the time. So it’s very likely that I didn’t recall things accurately, as your breakdown makes sense.

Back