• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Unionizing" the CF (merged)

Loachman said:
Huh? We've been a venue for social experimentation for almost four decades that I remember.

And you are correct in that assessment. I'm saying the CAF is not the place to conduct them.

But it is, as opposed to shouldn't be.

We do seem to make things work better and sooner than the rest of society, though.

Loachman said:
But it is, as opposed to shouldn't be.

We do seem to make things work better and sooner than the rest of society, though.

Oh, sure, so you're suggesting that we're more effective just because we're run almost exclusively by middle aged white men who oppose unions, right? ;)

I have yet to reach middle age, but may qualify as "angry".

Loachman said:
I have yet to reach middle age, but may qualify as "angry".

So after 43 (?) years of service and those unproductive years prior to joining, you expect to live well past 118 years of age.  I've accepted that I'm a middle aged guy, however, I did get a little pissed several years ago when I saw a sign in a Sears store that indicated age 55 for the senior citizens discount.

Blackadder1916 said:
So after 43 (?) years of service and those unproductive years prior to joining, you expect to live well past 118 years of age.  I've accepted that I'm a middle aged guy, however, I did get a little pissed several years ago when I saw a sign in a Sears store that indicated age 55 for the senior citizens discount.

Many years ago, I made some idle observations and mentioned to my wife that I felt old. Seeking to reassure me as I approached my 30th birthday, she said that I wasn't old but rather that I was "just middle-aged".

Lets have a long sober look at it before you jump into unionizing.

I'm trying to imagine the Union Reps not being the same folks who end up on the Mess Committee's...but it's not working.

If true; when I hear a ship and crew were sent to back sea 4 days after 1 month of post-deployment leave; from a grueling 7 month confined to ship tour for another 5 weeks sail I am not sure I can say leadership has the best interest of the rank and file anymore.

Could it be worse than we already have ?

If true; when I hear a ship and crew were sent to back sea 4 days after 1 month of post-deployment leave; from a grueling 7 month confined to ship tour for another 5 weeks sail I am not sure I can say leadership has the best interest of the rank and file anymore.

Could it be worse than we already have ?

Hold my 0.5% beer...

Speaking as a long time Union guy/steward/executive, a Union doesn't give you any more juice, it's just there to defend against collective agreement infractions. Without a collective agreement the only other tools available you already have....grievances, human rights, etc.

Think you got sent out to sea again too soon?? "Show us where it says the agreed upon number of days required in between sailings".
If its not written down then a Union would be useless.

Lets have a long sober look at it before you jump into unionizing.

A 14-page look here,

Although it hasn't happened since 1945, there may come a time "during hostilities or during a time of war as declared by the Government of Canada" when civilians are drafted into the CAF.

When, like it or not, Reservists are involuntarily activated to full-time and, like it or not, may be sent out of Canada.

VR's will / may be put on hold until "cessation of hostilities".

What good will a union do then?

Speaking as a long time Union guy/steward/executive, a Union doesn't give you any more juice, it's just there to defend against collective agreement infractions. Without a collective agreement the only other tools available you already have....grievances, human rights, etc.

Think you got sent out to sea again too soon?? "Show us where it says the agreed upon number of days required in between sailings".
If its not written down then a Union would be useless.
Yeah I understand Bruce. When we get to the point where Collective Agreements override National Security, Universality of Service, or the concept of ultimate liability, I am out.

Yeah I understand Bruce. When we get to the point where Collective Agreements override National Security, Universality of Service, or the concept of ultimate liability, I am out.
Isn’t the Danish military unionized?

It would never need to "get there". Those things can be agreed upon, or a collective agreement, if you will.

My job didn't have anywhere near the repercussions your jobs could have, but if my former employer declared an "emergency " then the collective agreement be damned. That crap can be sorted out after the emergency.

I would say so long as it was solely a mechanism to ensure admins policies drafted are policies followed (Leave, Pay, HR issues etc.), vice turning it into the "Axe-grinding Guild Local 256" for the CoC... why the hell not?

If the operational business is still being conducted and members are actually supported in administrative aspects, instead of left to fend for themselves in the Grievance wilderness, I think it's something we should investigate.

That said, good luck trying to sell this past the smoke pit though

Back