• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uniform/Badges upon OT effective date

ryanski

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm wondering,  do I get to switch to my new cap badge on July 16th and change my DEU,  or does it remain unchanged until I graduate my new QL3??    Only thing it says on my message is DEU: unchanged (but does that mean my environment or my actual jacket)

Clarification would be great as that date is soon approaching.

Thanks!

(ps the search engine kept saying too busy)

ryanski said:
Well that sucks!

It'd suck even worse if something happened and you didn't pass.

Then you'd have to redraw everything and return to your Unit.

You remain your old trade and rank, until you pass and your new element accepts you.

Your environmental uniform is staying the same.  Generally you do change you cap badge to your new corps/branch on the effective date.  Some branches/corps has different requirements for what members wear and when, so if you could give some more info we could probabably give you better advice.  I don't know if it is the case for you  (because again lack of info) but if you are above the the rank of Cpl you usually go down to Cpl on the effective date as well.  If you are a Pte/Cpl, then you stay the same rank. 

When I did my OT, I was to switch cap badges but not beret colors. My QL3 JIs stated show up day one QL3 in green beret with MP cap badge. (MP's only get the red beret upon graduation from QL3)

Other branches and trades have different pre-requisites. Your QL3 joining instructions, one would hope, will have what dress you are to report in. 

As well, you can always run it up your flag pole and see what the Pl WO or CSM says.

I'll echo what others have said, without knowing more about your situation and what branch you are moving into, rank/experience level, it is hard to assist you in finding the answers you seek.

recceguy said:
It'd suck even worse if something happened and you didn't pass.

Then you'd have to redraw everything and return to your Unit.

You remain your old trade and rank, until you pass and your new element accepts you.

That's actually not correct (though it likely was this way in the past).  Whatever date the OT is effective on the VOT Instruction message, the mbr is now QL0 in the new trade, and off the TES of the old trade;  can't be in 2 MOSIDs at once.

If the member doesn't pass initial occupation trg, after PRB procedures are complete and recommendations signed off, etc  they are referred to the PSO folks for assessment / recommendation for Occupation Reassignment (which could be back to the former trade), or release.  They are considered "untrained" and on the BTL at that point.

Part of the whole "roll the dice/take your chances" part of OTing; your old trade might not want you back.  All detailed in the BTAGs (Basic Trg List Admin Guide).

To the OP:

As for wearing your 'former trade' badges, etc once you OT, keep in mind you are no longer part of that trade and unless you did PLAR and were granted a QL'X" equivalency in your new trade, you will be a QL0 mbr of your new trade ( I was, both times I OTd).  As mentioned, depending on the trade you are going into, you may be allowed to wear the Branch/Corps cap badge, etc.  You also might be required to sport a cornflake.  :blotto:

Editted to add:

A quick look thru the OP's post history shows he is OT'ing from ACISS to RMS Clerk.  Any RMS / Log branch types know the answer on this one? 

Eye In The Sky said:
Editted to add:

A quick look thru the OP's post history shows he is OT'ing from ACISS to RMS Clerk.  Any RMS / Log branch types know the answer on this one? 

You need to show up to RMS Clk QL3 with the Log cap badge. The other accoutrements (Log Branch shoulder flashes, etc) are issued once completing QL3.

Eye In The Sky said:
That's actually not correct (though it likely was this way in the past). 

I am behind the times. Going off what it was like for me. Should have known better than to think nothing has changed since '79.  :blotto:

Cheers
:salute:

Wait a week;  I'm sure someone will change the current manual so the next time someone shows up on Sqn from the BTL, the do's and don'ts will change again...likely back to the way it was when you OTd.    ^-^

"the more things change..."

Anyone know what the deal is going from Navy to ATIS? I'm thinking general Air Force cap badge.

What you are referring to is the Air Ops cap badge.  That's for Air Ops trades (AVN, ACS, AES Op, etc).

ATIS Tech is actually part of the C & E branch, so its Jimmy you're looking for.  After your QL3 you will be awarded your ATIS Tech trade badge/half wing.

trade_af_deu_redop_fs.jpg

I had a slightly different experience here. Like everyone else my BTL date is 16 July, but my supervisor came up to me and told me to pull up my MPRR on EMAA so he could compare it to the HRMS version. Then he said "yup they match your uniform has already been changed to air force. got draw your blue T Shirts and switch your Beret to a blue one." so i did. Also, I'm going from Supply to AVN so I switched to the Air Ops Cap badge. i remember when i was with the Rangers in Borden all the PAT guys from CFSATE, that worked for us, put the Air Ops badge on as soon as they arrived in Borden off basic. i figured it was a safe bet to put it on.

Similar experience. I had two guys on my QL3 Infantryman course who were OT's out of the Navy (seasickness for both, I think). Both showed up on day one at The RCR Battle School wearing Infantry Corps cap badges and Land DEU. So they were dressed the same as those of us that were from the normal pipeline.

I know for guys coming into RCEME from the normal stream we award them the horse at the end of their training in Regt Coy.  As a formal way of welcoming them into the Corp.  OT's we normally hold a small parade for and formally give them the horse.  Until then we expect them to be in their previous cap-badge and uniform.  We get a lot of Combat Arms OT's and they don't have to do the field training, but other trades would fall in with the young Cfn on graduation from Regt Coy.

But not to many branches/trades do stuff this formally for sure.

Old EO Tech said:
I know for guys coming into RCEME from the normal stream we award them the horse at the end of their training in Regt Coy.  As a formal way of welcoming them into the Corp.  OT's we normally hold a small parade for and formally give them the horse.  Until then we expect them to be in their previous cap-badge and uniform.  We get a lot of Combat Arms OT's and they don't have to do the field training, but other trades would fall in with the young Cfn on graduation from Regt Coy.

But not to many branches/trades do stuff this formally for sure.

Nice to see some trades holding onto their small 'traditions/customs' like this.

I've heard a truly wonderful rumour, and I hope someone can confirm it, preferably with some specifics.

The rumour is to the effect that some years ago an individual from The RCR (I think an officer, but no tusre) OTed to air force. He was subsequently sent to do OJT in Petawawa pending training. Now, as I hear it, this resulted in him putting up the eight pointed death star on blue Air Froce headdress, which caused no small amount of consternation for various people on base. The way I hear it told though, he was also, per regulations, completely in the right to do so.

Can anyone confirm this? Failing that, can anyone hypothesize specific circumstances (trade, etc) that would lead to this. Because it's friggin' funny and I so badly want it to be true.

Brihard said:
Can anyone confirm this? Failing that, can anyone hypothesize specific circumstances (trade, etc) that would lead to this. Because it's friggin' funny and I so badly want it to be true.

This is complete speculation -- but one possibility would be that the applicable Air Force school had a policy stated in the joining instructions saying something like "students are to wear the Air Operations badge starting their first day of training at CF School of ...", but the supply system had a message saying "Member is MOSID XXX Untrained and DEU Air effective..."

The end result of this could be that the member has their Army uniforms taken away, Air Force uniforms issued, but hasn't started their course yet, and has received a lawful order not to wear the Air Ops badge until day one of the course.

That would result in the member wearing said 8-pointed star on an RCAF wedge. With much hilarity for all involved.

Pure speculation on my part, though, I've never actually seen this happen. Whenever I've seen trained members OT to a different element and on OJT awaiting training, they wear both their new DEU and new cap badge during the OJT period.

recceguy said:
I am behind the times. Going off what it was like for me. Should have known better than to think nothing has changed since '79.  :blotto:

Cheers
:salute:

Back when we had to chisel our own capbadge from a solid block of metal.

Back