• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Understanding our Afghanistan Allies

Journeyman said:
Just out of curiosity, how able is that all-Afghan team without its foreign national (in this case, Canadian) Team Lead to plan, coord, liaise......

I would say not able at this time in reference to protecting Expat clients.  This process is ongoing as is the training and development of skill sets. Developing good team leaders will take a lot more time and training to bring them up to an expat standard.

In reference to protecting themselves, they tend to think that they are good enough, but really comes down to discipline and the "Will of God".  Their mindset differs from our in respect to this.

Cheers
Pop

We just had a new volleyball court made on site and I play with them a couple of times a week, in between those days I will watch from the sidelines and chat with the guards.  Yesterday I offered a cigarette to one of the older guards who I know smokes and he graciously accepted... as he was lighting it, he read the brand name out in English.  I then gave him pieces of paper and he was able to read it all in English, it was broken and then he smiled and told me his story...

He just graduated grade 12 and was working as a clerk when the Russian invaded, soon with all the unrest he joined the Mujahideen and fought against the Russians.  His stories of hardships what they endured bringing supplies across the mountains and how they would operate were very interesting indeed.  After the Russians left he went back to his village and worked small jobs until becoming a security guard with the APPF.

With their culture, this man being older than most he is very respected, he has a lot of experience and knowledge, and I have learned to cultivate these sources for the better of all.  He is a quiet honest gentleman, but his eyes tell stories, stories which I hope he continues to pass on. 

Just sitting there with them chatting, joking and sharing tea and cigarettes opens many doorways here.  This afternoon I was leaving Camp Eggers and passing through a control point when one of the Afghanistan guards called my name... I turned around and he had a big smile on his face, it was a guard who used to work for me with a previous company a few years ago... I greeted him in Dari and gave him a big hug as it was great to see one on my old associates... these friendships we make over the years is still bearing fruit,  all in all it was a great week.

Cheers
Pop

An interesting photo essay of Afghanistan back in the 1960's. You can see how things have changed since, but it is also good to understand what life was like for the past generation:

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/1960s-afghanistan?utm_source=outbrainpaid&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=outpaidpremium2#1

Back