• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uncle srved with First Canadain Special Service Forces

butlerdavidc

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking for more information on my uncle Sgt Earle Nelson Butler who served with the Fist Canadian Special Service Forces during WWII. He was killed in action on the Anzio beachhead on Feb 09 1944.

He transferred to this unit as Canadian soldiers could volunteer .i am trying to find out when he joined this unit and what was his original Canadian Unit before coming over.

Any help any one can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

David Butler.

I am trying to fulfill one of my fathers last wishes in complying the family military history.

David

From Commonwealth War Graves, his regimental number was H200099.  That was part of a block alotted to the Winnipeg Light Infantry, though it appears there was an earlier block to that unit.  That might mean he was never actually on their strength, but it's an avenue to research.  His service record is the best way to follow him as he moved through the Army, the previous link will take you to Library and Archives Canada with details.  As a fatal casualty, there should be no problem getting his file.

Here's the link and instructions for ordering his service record. I would recommend that you don't order the "genealogy package", you never know what other details may be found in the documents such a request wouldn't include.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogie/022-909.007-e.html

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records

* Your request must be signed.
    * To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
    * If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
    * Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
    * Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.
    * We do not accept email inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
    * Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application for Military Service Information form available in [PDF 663 KB] or [RTF 44,516 KB] format, which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax.
      (Download Freeware)
    * Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:

ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

The gentlemen is listed on page 304 of the  book"The First Special Service Force.A war history of the North Americans 1942-1944 published in march 1947.He was a member of 3-2.
You may wish to consult the following:http://www.firstspecialserviceforce.net/
Good luck

Thank you for this information. I actualy have a copy of this book that was signed by Col Fredrick and presented to my Grandfather upon my uncles death.

He is also mentioned inthe body of the book as well. I do not have the book with me right now as I am at work or i could give you the page his actual death is reported on.

David

Back